Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
6-1 over Flint. Boilers and Crawford had 2G and 2A each, Jenkins and Preuter with a goal each. We have won 8 out of 10 not bad I hope DD makes the team better we have a pick or 2, time to use a few. We have the luxury of not being in a hurry and see if the team keeps up the pace.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
The Spirit are 4-3 OT winners with Mason Kohn getting the winner against Kingston. Gilmour, Coskey and Grondin added singles and Lamour played well between the pipes. 9 out of 11 and 5 in a row. I hope DD has a plan to eventually make a move.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
The Spirit are 4-3 OT winners with Mason Kohn getting the winner against Kingston. Gilmour, Coskey and Grondin added singles and Lamour played well between the pipes. 9 out of 11 and 5 in a row. I hope DD has a plan to eventually make a move.

Saginaw on a roll, very nice to see!!

What plans do you hope for DD? Buy or sell and with who involved?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Considering we probably want some ammo for picking up players next year when we should be at our peak, we should try and be smart about what we give up. IMO if we are still doing well by the deadline, add a forward and a defenseman for a reasonable price to make sure we can stay in the 4/5 slot and get to round 2.

Chet Phillips to Osh for Sean Allen
Bollers, Kit 2018 2nd, Sar 2020 3rd to NB for Justin Brazeau

Still leaves us with 5 extra 2nd/3rds to use for 2018/19. Although Brazeau might cost a bit more.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Considering we probably want some ammo for picking up players next year when we should be at our peak, we should try and be smart about what we give up. IMO if we are still doing well by the deadline, add a forward and a defenseman for a reasonable price to make sure we can stay in the 4/5 slot and get to round 2.

Still leaves us with 5 extra 2nd/3rds to use for 2018/19. Although Brazeau might cost a bit more.

I like your thoughts. Adding Brazeau with Kohn and Gilmour would be a very strong line and be able to compete better against opposing teams top lines, but they are doing ok now. I like our other lines especially Coskey playing on the the third. He is able to generate scoring chances almost every shift!

Adding some depth on the back end will be needed if we want to contend for a playoff spot.

I know teams are hoping we fail so the Cormiers, Middleton's become available. But I hope DD becomes a buyer, not to claim the title of OHL, but to show fans and other teams we are serious and compete hard into playoffs.

Kohn has been the best move I've seen in a long time, I wish he had another year!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

I doubt NB ever trades Brazeau. Coach likes those big kids.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What about Sokolov and OGrady for Phillips, one of Grodin or Giroux and 2 2nds.

WJ

Giroux, no
Grondin, maybe. Although big guys usually don't start to get going til they're 18+, so might be hesitant to ship him off. I will say that with our current prospect pool in good shape, Porco could be a good trading piece.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Porco's being a possibility would make things interesting? Add Lodnia or Maksimovich from Erie who may need a 1st rd pick. DD should see what the market offers.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Kopacka’s a stone cold scorer and a (relatively local)boy while DeMeo gives you 2 more years on the blue line. Porco is our local boy and we could use Middleton this year.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Kopacka’s a stone cold scorer and a (relatively local)boy while DeMeo gives you 2 more years on the blue line. Porco is our local boy and we could use Middleton this year.

Ok right, I fully understand Kopacka's ability but again Middleton/Kopacka and Porco/DeMeo are both washes. So what's the net benefit for each team? Now if it was DeMeo and a pick for Middleton then sure. Both teams benefit.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
DeMeo and 1 2nd and a 3rd done you just could acquire a 6'6 240 lbs of very solid defenseman offensive best numbers as well for Mids. He is an anchor for any team who may want his services. Saginaw with a couple of smart deals could be even that much better. I sure hope we add more. Only if 99 talent stays these are our strengths with the 00's for success next and this year.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Sending Porco out of here right now would be a major managerial mistake. Here is a 1st round pick who was willing to sign on board with the Spirit. What kind of message does it send to other future hopefuls willing to come here, only to see they may be immediately traded...a BIG NO!

Play with what we've got right now and use a pick wisely and trade nobody till a deal is too good to pass up... but leave Porco out of it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Any upgrades (this season) should be had using future picks only, imo. There are plenty of picks to part with, without compromising the team’s competitiveness near and long term

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Hamilton tonite and Sarnia Saturday will give us a good look at how we do against the better teams in the league. If successful our team might be ahead of projected development and getting to the playoffs with no additions does not help for next year. We still need 98's with OA possibilities and with our draft picks stacked time to use them wisely. If a quality 99 is available and the price is right, DD has some decision to make in the upcoming weeks?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Outsider looking in but you had such a great draft last year, don't ruin it now by trading away assets like Porco.

No matter what moves SAG would make this year, I personally don't think it would make them a top 4 team in the West. So that's a road playoff series in round 1 anyways and then you lose Kohn/Cormier/Middleton.

To me it makes a lot more sense to keep everyone and then work around your very young core of Jenkins/Porco/Penman/Preuter/Stepien plus the 4 1st/2nd round picks in the next draft. If SAG hits in 2/4 of those picks, with how good your young talent already is, you are set with a winning roster for 2-4 years.

And that's not even considering if someone like Alex Turcotte decides to come over like Jenkins did

Reactions: GensLensBrandon

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Who said Porco is getting traded its just talk. Agree talent is developing well. You can improve the team if the price is right but we are in a good situation because time is on our side. OA's for next year would be important to acquire if the deals are there.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Looks like Jake Goldowski has heard good things from Blade. According to Corey Pronman he's dropping his Penn State commitment and joining the Spirit. I'll also say that while his numbers don't look great, neither did Blade's with the USNTDP. Hopefully this fresh start will be good for him.

Last edited:

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
How interesting yet not suprising. The NTDP is a stickler for players with superior skating skills and both Jenkins as well as Goldowski, both being taller and still developing physically, lacked that aspect in their games. But, as Jenkins can attest, nothing makes a weaker skater better than skating, not parked on the bench. Both are skilled with great hands and need playing time to improve. Who knows, given a couple of years growth, we may be looking at a couple of Max Jones sized skaters...now wouldn't be nice.

And by the way a crow sandwich for me please, as I firmly believed neither would ever wear a Spirit sweater.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I remember in an article over the offseason Drinkell mentioning Goldowski by name when referring to incoming new players for this season, while he was still committed to Penn State. The man called his shot. From March 20th:

"He expects to have at least four 2000-birthdate players on the team, including Max Grondin, Damien Giroux, Chet Phillips and Jake Goldowski."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad