Sad day in Elmira and Anchorage

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Looks like Elmira is running out of options. The NAHL announced their divisional alignment for next season and no new teams will be added for the 2017-2018 season. The only change in teams, is the Wichita Falls franchise was granted inactive status.

Still curious why Alaska is still being listed on the ECHL website.

ECHL Season isn't quite over yet, and sites don't generally reboot or relaunch themselves until after the current season ends and the new season begins....

the team sites do the same thing, whether or not who operates them, those sites, including the Aces, eventually will shut down when the hosting company contract expires....

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
ECHL Season isn't quite over yet, and sites don't generally reboot or relaunch themselves until after the current season ends and the new season begins....

the team sites do the same thing, whether or not who operates them, those sites, including the Aces, eventually will shut down when the hosting company contract expires....

Except for the fact that the ECHL website removed the listing for Elmira. No reason they couldn't have removed Alaska at the same time they were removing the Jackals.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Except for the fact that the ECHL website removed the listing for Elmira. No reason they couldn't have removed Alaska at the same time they were removing the Jackals.

I'VE SEEN SITES, INCLUDING Portland's that remain active, despite there being no franchise there.... in fact, Avs, Columbia's Inferno team website still was active years after it was publically known the franchise had not existed in years, as I said, it depends on who operates the holding franchise or pays the website company, those sites never were totally shut down, same thing with fan sites, or hockey sites, unless the decision is to suspend the site, as Wildcat knows with Maine Hockey Journal, and the effect the loss of the Pirates had indirectly as to where these fan sites go, and those ancillary expenses to keep them up to date and the hosting expense, et all.

everyone knows Alaska IS DONE, the contract to run that team page may not, and will eventually redirect elsewhere, and when the league relaunches its main site, you'll see the Aces logo disappear/be removed from that site, it's just not the the prudent time to relaunch the ECHL Main website, or other leagues, until the season ends.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

I'VE SEEN SITES, INCLUDING Portland's that remain active, despite there being no franchise there.... in fact, Avs, Columbia's Inferno team website still was active years after it was publically known the franchise had not existed in years, as I said, it depends on who operates the holding franchise or pays the website company, those sites never were totally shut down, same thing with fan sites, or hockey sites, unless the decision is to suspend the site, as Wildcat knows with Maine Hockey Journal, and the effect the loss of the Pirates had indirectly as to where these fan sites go, and those ancillary expenses to keep them up to date and the hosting expense, et all.

everyone knows Alaska IS DONE, the contract to run that team page may not, and will eventually redirect elsewhere, and when the league relaunches its main site, you'll see the Aces logo disappear/be removed from that site, it's just not the the prudent time to relaunch the ECHL Main website, or other leagues, until the season ends.

I have to agree with Avs Rule. Someone at the league office, or at the web hosting company, under direction from the league, deleted Elmira, and added Worcester and Jacksonville. Those changes don't technically take effect until the season is over either.

Also Chrdanhutch states it has something to do with the Aces site still being active? Well I just went to ECHL.com and clicked on the link - the site it links to (www.alaskaaces.com) is gone, so that theory doesn't hold water.

I would assume it was just an oversight, and it will get fixed eventually, but it does seem like an odd thing to overlook.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Taking a guess on this...the current listing, including Alaska, includes the voting members on the Board of Governors. Elmira, which folded immediately after the regular season ended, is no longer a voting member and was taken off the list. Alaska, which still exists but is under suspension starting 7/1, is still a voting member until that point.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO

I wasn't referring to the team websites, only the ECHL one. They removed the Jackals logo, but not the Aces one. So it has nothing to do with relaunching the main site. There seems to be an underlying reason why the ECHL would chance their site to remove one team but not the other. But it's really no big deal.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Taking a guess on this...the current listing, including Alaska, includes the voting members on the Board of Governors. Elmira, which folded immediately after the regular season ended, is no longer a voting member and was taken off the list. Alaska, which still exists but is under suspension starting 7/1, is still a voting member until that point.

That makes the most sense.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Gained info over the holiday weekend. Not only are the jackals done as obviously known for a couple of months now but the arena deal appears to be dead. Someone I know happens to know someone who has worked at the arena since the first year though they didn't become a full time employee until the last ownership came in and until then only worked on game days. Apparently he cleaned out his locker at the arena and was hired to work at the car company the guy who was gunna buy the arena owns. Apparently he was looking at a franchise for a Canadian junior league but found out it would be really expensive. Obviously was trying to negotiate with the league to get a new franchise in here but that obviously didn't happen either. I'm not sure if they couldn't wait a year because of the deal they made with Costello's that a team had to be in there for the next 10 years or not. It does seem bizarre to me that a year off couldn't be taken. I think it was kind of fruitless to think that they'd get this deal done a month before the regular season was going to end. They waited way too long to do this. This is Tom Santulli's fault though. I've heard he isn't running for reelection next year now probably due to this massacre. Simple fact is they had more than one interested party but they put all their eggs in one basket. They went for the guy who claimed he would take the debt yet wanted certain funds covered from the city that made the deal almost fall apart and then a week later they magically at the 11th hour come up with a deal. Only for the guy to NOT be at the press conference and in 2 months nobody has heard from him since. I thought that was shady from the get go that he couldn't make time to be there. Its unfortunate for the fans no team but now likely long term no arena.

Perhaps the other interested parties will come back in to play but not much is known about them except it was stated none of them were willing to take on the debt. I do know the old owner(not Afr the one after)owes a lot of money from having the arena. I don't think the new owner should be on the hook for past regime's but we all know the politicians won't pay any money either on that part. That place has a lot of debt from 17 years I don't think any normal person could ever pay it off.

Last edited:

IslesFan2017

May 29, 2017
I just feel sad that Alaska is no longer going to have their ECHL team. It was unique in that I am not sure if other minor leagues really have teams in Alaska so I hoped that they could continue to operate.

I hope Alaska gets another team in the future.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I just feel sad that Alaska is no longer going to have their ECHL team. It was unique in that I am not sure if other minor leagues really have teams in Alaska so I hoped that they could continue to operate.

I hope Alaska gets another team in the future.

Only gunna get harder to operate a team in Alaska. Yeah they probably fly everywhere but the opponents are getting farther away. Not sure if they ever footed the bill for teams to come to town but unless they did that I can't see a lot of teams in the league voting yes on another team.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Media runs a story and has a big nothing burger. I just find this so fascinating. I know the end game but for **** sakes why can't they just publicly announce it now that the arena won't be bought.

http://www.mytwintiers.com/sports/l...pro-hockey-returning-to-first-arena/733493738

Hated to watch that team go Loved the rivalry between Reading and Elmira .I was at the last game between Reading And Elmira . I went up on a bus trip from Reading after the game Was some of the most respectful and hopeful conversation between fans i ever had in my 17 seasons as a Reading fan. Hope you guys get your team back soon.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Only gunna get harder to operate a team in Alaska. Yeah they probably fly everywhere but the opponents are getting farther away. Not sure if they ever footed the bill for teams to come to town but unless they did that I can't see a lot of teams in the league voting yes on another team.

Frankly, unless it was self contained where you had 4 teams in Alaska that could feed off one another for attendance & scheduling issues (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Wasilla, & maybe Juneau), it doesn't sound feasible.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Saw this coming for a while after the "buyer" of the arena never once spoke with the media or had a press conference. Might be a long time before Elmira sees hockey again (besides EC). http://www.stargazette.com/story/ne...-elmira-sale-off-barrett-withdraws/430024001/

More to this...though I'm not sure I believe it fully but it wouldn't exactly be a shocker.

http://www.stargazette.com/story/ne...es-libel-suit-against-sheriff-moss/413561001/

I think Barrett was a fake and this was the way they could fold the team, get the arena closed and not look like the bad guys. Total political play. I mean the guy wasn't even at the press conference. I'm not saying he's a fake person but maybe there was no such deal or even negotiations or anything. It smelled fishy from the day they announced it. Knew this was coming though.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Interesting development. Robbie Nichols gunna buy the arena? Talks to bring in the FHL? Oh boy...so where was he when they were looking before this Barrett?

http://www.mytwintiers.com/news/loc...to-bring-back-hockey-to-first-arena/754097808
He is one of the great characters of minor league hockey. I remember when I worked for the Trashers he would come to the 50/50 table and buy tickets. Remember seeing him behind the bench pulling them out when the number was announced. He didn't have Don Cherry's luck when it came to the 50/50's though.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He is one of the great characters of minor league hockey. I remember when I worked for the Trashers he would come to the 50/50 table and buy tickets. Remember seeing him behind the bench pulling them out when the number was announced. He didn't have Don Cherry's luck when it came to the 50/50's though.

I don't mind him. I don't know if he's a real guy or its an act or not. He is connected to some sketchy folks like the Afr family who brought him to town. I've met him and never had any problem with him but I'm not sure what side of the coin he's really on. I do think its interesting he kept cycling through the UHL.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You have that exactly opposite what it really is. :laugh:

It was private under Afr which is why nobody knows what the books under him really looked like. Then this freeman guy bought it and it was supposed to be on the tax rolls. Think it was for 2-3 years. Not positive what the community run operation did. Not sure they could afford to put it on there if in February they were complaining at one point they weren't positive they had enough cash to get through the next week.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
It was private under Afr which is why nobody knows what the books under him really looked like. Then this freeman guy bought it and it was supposed to be on the tax rolls. Think it was for 2-3 years. Not positive what the community run operation did. Not sure they could afford to put it on there if in February they were complaining at one point they weren't positive they had enough cash to get through the next week.

Privately owned buildings, provided they are not owned by tax exempt organizations, are on the tax rolls. Publicly owned buildings are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad