Sad day in Elmira and Anchorage

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Both suspended operations but that is an interesting observation...unless there's an intent to sell off the Alaska franchise to a buyer for relocation? Not sure anyone would want to buy the jackals franchise if it was folded because of the debt although I still don't fully understand that play because a new franchise if they really get one probably has to cost more than the debt has to be unless its just so off the charts. Isn't an expansion franchise like $1 million? I know it cost the Jackals a $2 million entry fee back in 07.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Both suspended operations but that is an interesting observation...unless there's an intent to sell off the Alaska franchise to a buyer for relocation? Not sure anyone would want to buy the jackals franchise if it was folded because of the debt although I still don't fully understand that play because a new franchise if they really get one probably has to cost more than the debt has to be unless its just so off the charts. Isn't an expansion franchise like $1 million? I know it cost the Jackals a $2 million entry fee back in 07.

I believe if I've heard correctly its $1 million for the AHL, $500k for the ECHL

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Well, first off, that's the same team....secondly, Elmira has "folded" and the franchise rights have returned to the ECHL. Alaska has suspended operations, so the current owners still own their franchise rights and could sell those rights if they wish.

Wow even the team website couldn't get it right. They did say suspend operations on March 10th in their article. What is the league going to do with it? More than likely dissolve it? Wouldn't someone buying it(for likely relocation)have to not only pay whatever the standard fee is but also pay the league whatever the franchise debt may be?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
ECHL Expansion fee

I believe if I've heard correctly its $1 million for the AHL, $500k for the ECHL

I believe the fee is 750K, to even start discussions w/ the League OVER A POTENTIAL franchise (dormant, existing, OR expansion) as Portland tried doing that for the last year on their own, not having the 2 bidders we have now w/ the Trustee board.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Well, first off, that's the same team....secondly, Elmira has "folded" and the franchise rights have returned to the ECHL. Alaska has suspended operations, so the current owners still own their franchise rights and could sell those rights if they wish.

Meant Alaska and Elmira.

Didn't realize Elmira had officially folded, then that makes sense why they're off the website but Alaska isn't.

Both Elmira and Alaska had reported they were voluntarily suspending operations, must've missed the announcement about folding.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Wow even the team website couldn't get it right. They did say suspend operations on March 10th in their article. What is the league going to do with it? More than likely dissolve it? Wouldn't someone buying it(for likely relocation)have to not only pay whatever the standard fee is but also pay the league whatever the franchise debt may be?

I have no idea the answers to any of those questions. I only know what the status of the Elmira and Alaska franchises are through conversations with people who are working to acquire ECHL franchises.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey

Yup. Both press releases state the teams were voluntarily suspending operations and nothing I can find on Elmira's website or the ECHL's website say anything about folding, but other websites local to New York state that the team is folding.

http://www.jackalshockey.com/news-1/elmira-jackals-to-cease-operations
http://alaskaaces.com/news/aces/201702/alaska-aces-cease-operations

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/binghamt...ockey-folding-first-arena-chemung-county.html

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Yup. Both press releases state the teams were voluntarily suspending operations and nothing I can find on Elmira's website or the ECHL's website say anything about folding, but other websites local to New York state that the team is folding.

http://www.jackalshockey.com/news-1/elmira-jackals-to-cease-operations
http://alaskaaces.com/news/aces/201702/alaska-aces-cease-operations

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/binghamt...ockey-folding-first-arena-chemung-county.html

First time I've seen that article but interesting. I feel like the politicians got off easy and the people may get screwed like usual. Sounds like this place won't be on the tax rolls and that the money goes towards fixing the arena to the owners liking instead of making separate payments towards that. The purchase of the place should have gone to the massive debt. The reason it may have just folded is because the stupid politicians last summer when they made the deal for this year they had to go to an agency for some extra funds and part of the deal was they had to have a team in the arena for 10 years. The claim in the local paper is he's folding the team because of economic reasons and claims a new team would be cheaper than taking on the Jackals with their debt. The debt must be so bad but new franchises aren't cheap, either.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I suppose. Sadly those books under Afr were never accurate, even if its been accurate the last 4 years without him it would be real hard to figure out the overall financial standing in 17 years. Since the UHL and ECHL team were the same the debt never disappeared I'm sure. It's been rather quiet but I know they are putting in a IDHL team per the league website. I'm sure its going in the rec rink. Its obvious some form of infrastructure is coming. What? No idea. Then there's the catch of having to have a team in the arena for the next number of years. I don't believe that extends to the rec rink. But its already close to late April. No real conceivable way to form a new franchise for play in a handful of months even if from the old franchise in town they still had the infrastructure in place to do it. Plus I'm sure the league has a deadline for things like this, so it will be interesting. A little over a month and nobody has really heard from or seen the new owner.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
The nice part for Alaska is fans can watch the NCAA D1 Seawolves for their hockey fix and maybe help out in boosting attendance there. So they are not entirely without hockey.

Not really that program has not even been average for 20 years or so. But the university may also suspend those operations too. They need to completely clean house and take kids from Alaska. They have 6 from Alaska on a 27 man roster.

I remember in the 80s when the arena would be sold out for about every game.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Think these people were morons to the core, none more than Santulli. Were they really expecting to be able to ice a new team next year if by now almost the end of May the transfer isn't official?

A new team is fine but they had unrealistic expectations for how slow the process has been going. They waited til the 11th hour in a season to get the deal done.

The problem here is they have that stupid deal where for the next like decade they have to have a team. Fielding one next season in any league at this point unless its like the FHL isn't all that realistic. If they did, the team might be worse then the one they had this year lol.

One thing that has me scratching my head is how in the hell are they close to breaking even these last couple months? Nothing has been there to bring in revenue.

I'd be pretty concerned if in 2+ months this guy has been nowhere to be found. No public appearance/press conference. The WETM sports director has tried calling to reach out about the future of hockey several times he said the other night and has never been able to hear from him. Lots of skepticism for me, has been since the thing was announced and Santulli excused the guy not being there.

Sal

Nov 1, 2011
Regarding Elmira, my best guess on what is happening there based on some rumors I've heard.

The potential new owner wanted another ECHL team for next season. Whether through purchasing or convincing an existing franchise to move there with a great deal on a lease. Alaska perhaps? Since the ECHL schedule has been released for next season, that plan did not materialize.

On to plan B. Attempt to purchase or convince an existing NAHL franchise to move to Elmira. The Wichita Falls franchise is in limbo, already announcing on their Facebook they will not be playing there next season. If this is the franchise they are talking to, Elmira would be getting a pretty good team. Since the NAHL draft is June 6, a deal would probably need to be completed by the end of May. If this fails, on to Plan C.

Plan C. Purchase a FHL franchise. Good luck with that.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
With Danbury and Watertown within driving distance that honestly may not be as bad a solution as you think. I'd love it because I miss the old Trashers-Jackals rivalry, wish we could get some old UHL cities into the FHL to make things fun. Also wish Bruce Bennett would find a way to acquire the Trashers name and IP, I miss Scrappy the evil garbage can!

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I have never seen an FHL game but I'll safely guess it could never be like the Thrashers. That team was skilled but they were legit WWE on ice. But it was entertaining as hell to watch them.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Regarding Elmira, my best guess on what is happening there based on some rumors I've heard.

The potential new owner wanted another ECHL team for next season. Whether through purchasing or convincing an existing franchise to move there with a great deal on a lease. Alaska perhaps? Since the ECHL schedule has been released for next season, that plan did not materialize.

On to plan B. Attempt to purchase or convince an existing NAHL franchise to move to Elmira. The Wichita Falls franchise is in limbo, already announcing on their Facebook they will not be playing there next season. If this is the franchise they are talking to, Elmira would be getting a pretty good team. Since the NAHL draft is June 6, a deal would probably need to be completed by the end of May. If this fails, on to Plan C.

Ouch. The problem is the arena is too big so would they play them on the rec rink? I don't think the place will fill up at all to see FHL. Although this isn't the first sequence the FHL to Elmira rumor existed. I believe Nichols when he was GM had the heads of the league in for a meeting in spring of 2012 during the foreclosure matter.

I don't know enough about it but wouldn't it be easier to create an expansion team vs purchasing a team in suspension? Though it probably does cost more for an expansion entry than relocation fees.

I feel like they waited this process out to long to begin with. Mid march less than a month left in the season. They only had the place for sale since like this time last year.

Unfortunately nobody has heard a thing from this guy in over 2 months. Some people were hinting at maybe renovations for the place, I don't know. The deal to me is sketchy. Basically the pId money is to go towards the arena and the place won't be on the tax rolls and all of that. Yeah he had to pay $3.5 mil but if no taxes and the payment goes for repairs and renovations he got it for a steal.

Sal

Nov 1, 2011
Looks like Elmira is running out of options. The NAHL announced their divisional alignment for next season and no new teams will be added for the 2017-2018 season. The only change in teams, is the Wichita Falls franchise was granted inactive status.

Still curious why Alaska is still being listed on the ECHL website.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad