GDT: Sabres @ Wild 5PM EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I think we got lucky they didn’t review our tying goal. Looked like 2 guys were offsides

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I thought they played pretty well except for the total gaff by Clifton and Bryson.

Nice to see them gut one out for a change.

Minni isn't contending for anything this season. But neither are the Sabres.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I forget how brutal the Wilds cap situation is. They're still eating almost $15 million in dead cap between Suter and Parise. They gotta eat that number next year as well and then it goes down to a much more manageable $1.6 million until 28-29.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think we got lucky they didn’t review our tying goal. Looked like 2 guys were offsides

Teams have their video staff looking for that. If they felt even remotely confident that it was actually offside, they would have challenged.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I forget how brutal the Wilds cap situation is. They're still eating almost $15 million in dead cap between Suter and Parise. They gotta eat that number next year as well and then it goes down to a much more manageable $1.6 million until 28-29.

What the league changing the playing field does to team's over a decade later, eh?

Reactions: sabresfan129103

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Can someone help me understand how UPL getting taken out low isnt a trip? Puck is gone, player dove to initiate contact, legs taken out.

Idk, seems like a trip to me
Finally saw the replay of that. I was more taken by Dahlin fumbling away the breakaway. Granted it was on his off side, but his bad hands at the blue line are becoming more frequent again like in his first few seasons. It was the first thing that ever worried me about him.

I'm trying not to become overly critical of him, but with the standard of being in the conversation for best D in the league, his skill abandons him too often at inopportune times. He's whiffing on too many pucks, seems to not be sure-handed with his head up, etc. I think/hope it's mainly a confidence issue, but I'd like to see him rededicate himself to some fundamental skill work in the off-season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Finally saw the replay of that. I was more taken by Dahlin fumbling away the breakaway. Granted it was on his off side, but his bad hands at the blue line are becoming more frequent again like in his first few seasons. It was the first thing that ever worried me about him.

I'm trying not to become overly critical of him, but with the standard of being in the conversation for best D in the league, his skill abandons him too often at inopportune times. He's whiffing on too many pucks, seems to not be sure-handed with his head up, etc. I think/hope it's mainly a confidence issue, but I'd like to see him rededicate himself to some fundamental skill work in the off-season.

He gets dainty with the puck instead of decisive and then he fumbles things. That could be a confidence issue. I would also point to the flagging straight-line speed. He labors to get places right now.

I also wonder at whatever LBI he missed the game to and is "manageable" per Granato's comments that he was laboring to pick things up off his porch in that Swedish video a few weeks back from around Christmas time (Aftonbladet IIRC?).

Reactions: HOOats and Diaspora

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Not really. The Ovie office crap doesn't work. The league hss adjusted. Yet they keep trying it instead of exploiting a size advantage to work pucks low.
The PK will be able to shut down just about any attack if it's predictable and they have time to prepare for it. The PP units should be able to execute on several different strategies (including setting up the one-timer) and be able to make in-game adjustments depending on what the PK is giving.

They had some success a couple of weeks ago with Skinner and Mitts coming up from below the goal line. The were able to score a couple with tips in front and crashing the net. Then Tage pots a one-timer in the MN game (called back).

I think they have the skill, size and toughness to run an above average power play. They need to recognize how the PK is executing, communicate effectively and adjust. This just might be coachable.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
but I'd like to see him rededicate himself to some fundamental skill work in the off-season.

Not just Dahlin. I see WAY too many tape-to-tape passes bouncing off of recepient's sticks. And then there are WAY too many "easy" passes (ESPECIALLY out of the zone) that guys miss on that other teams don't miss.

There are fundamental issues with these guys that pop up way too often for this team to be truly competitive.

Reactions: HOOats and Ehran

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not just Dahlin. I see WAY too many tape-to-tape passes bouncing off of recepient's sticks. And then there are WAY too many "easy" passes (ESPECIALLY out of the zone) that guys miss on that other teams don't miss.

There are fundamental issues with these guys that pop up way too often for this team to be truly competitive.
It's like they are poorly coached, drilled and prepared or something...

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
BTW, those North Stars throwbacks were sensational.
That made for a GREAT looking game.
I consider the Sabres road (white) set the best of the non-Orginal Six team sets.
Great comment! I wanted to ask (then forgot) which franchise - Stars or Wild - should rightfully own that color scheme?

The Stars were the North Stars.... same ownership relocated. The Wild are a different company.

It's not like Carolina or Colorado where the legacy uniforms and colors belong to the originators and there's a direct legacy to Hartford and Quebec.

But yes, both team's uni's looked great!

Guys, in case you didn’t hear, I have officially broken up with Jeff Skinner. We’ve been separated for months, almost the entire season really. I’m just making it official. He’s all yours.
"I don't want him (her), you can have him (her), (s)he's too fat for me..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad