Confirmed with Link: Sabres Trade with Columbus for Forward Eric Robinson for a Cond. 2025 7th Round Pick (NSH's pick)

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
We may be used to ineptitude, but I wonder how often a GM will go out and acquire a player that a scout is passionate about. Sounds like he had to do some convincing to get them to make the move. At least Adams delegates and listens to and trusts his employees.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We may be used to ineptitude, but I wonder how often a GM will go out and acquire a player that a scout is passionate about. Sounds like he had to do some convincing to get them to make the move. At least Adams delegates and listens to and trusts his employees.
He listened to Granato stumping for Greenway and now Crowe stumping for Robinson.

And then you have this from Jerry Forton after the 2022 Draft:

It seems pretty clear that Adams listens to the people that work for him a ton.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
He listened to Granato stumping for Greenway and now Crowe stumping for Robinson.

I am aware of a few uses of "Stumping" but it doesn't seem to make much sense here...

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I thought posters were overreacting a bit to this trade. Columbus isn't a place players go to fulfill their potential. I liked the idea of trading for a guy that has the physical tools to be a good 4th liner in this league but struggled to find his way on a trash team.

That being said, as many of us probably agree, I want to see that same level of energy every game. I've seen it countless times where a player comes to a new team and plays like a man possessed. If Robinson wants to make it in this league, he likely needs to bring that energy consistently, which isn't an easy task. If he does that, then we have a checking line player for a 7th round pick.

At worst, Adams found a good depth piece that can provide support on the checking line because I wasn't seeing that type of play from players like Biro, Rousek, etc...so adding Robinson to the mix made a lot of sense to me.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I really, really want Granato and Adams to workout for us. I've had my issues with them, but their dedication to this franchise and their personalities have never been in question.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Exactly, Robinson-Krebs-Okposo has been getting 3rd line minutes with the ____-Jost-Oloffson line getting 4th line minutes. Girgensons can come back for Murray or Jost or by that point someone else might be banged up. Cozens and TT need to get going. If everyone healthy then go:

Skinner- Thompson-Tuch
Greenway-Mitts-Peterka
Benson-Cozens-Quinn
Robinson-Krebs-Okposo
Girgs/Jost/oloffson
Healthy lineup he says...

Reactions: joshjull

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
At first I just figured Robinson would fill the gap until Girgensons returned. No problems with the trade at all. He might end up being a really good bargain bin pick-up though, and be able to replace one of Girgensons or Okposo next season. Just like the rest of the team though, Robinson has to find the energy to play 100% every night, not just now because he wants to impress his new team and/or fight for another contract and stay in the league.

This (I hate to harp on) brings up the issue of having higher expectations and accountability on a nightly basis from the front office and coaching staff. Robinson and the team have what it takes to at least be a playoff competitor, but they have to want it enough or fear adequate repercussions enough to play that way every game.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I am aware of a few uses of "Stumping" but it doesn't seem to make much sense here...
Agreed. As others have pointed out the Sabres have been heavily scouting Columbus since covid. What "may" have happened is Adams asked his staff (Crowe/Scouts) for recommendations with Gus out of the lineup and without any internal option in Roch. I heard Sabres scout Brad Dexter and Nightingale also had links to Robinson in the past. Dexter's opinion is highly valued in the building.

I have also thought perhaps they been watching/sniffing around on other players in Columbus if they became available (Jenner, Roslovic, etc) and then Robinson came up in discussions with Adams/Jarmo.

KA seems to be reluctant to make/risk that big post Eichel deal, but he may of struck gold on a minor deal here. Let see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: dire wolf

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Robinson has played well so far. Let's keep perspective though. The Sabres have been lacking so badly in that style of play, that the 13th/14th forward from another middling team looks soooooo good to us in the lineup. You can't field 12 skilled but soft forwards and consistently win hockey games. You need a balanced team with all the tools to handle different situations.

Imagine if KA had taken the opportunity this offseason to rebuild the bottom six with the right tools. Traded last deadline for Ekholm to play with Power, and got a veteran (not old) goaltender for a year or two to play with UPL. It would be a more complete and balanced team with a better chance to win.

• Love

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Kudos on a good game, but in a month, people will not care about this guy much. They'll jump on him for mistakes, which they should NOT do. Overall, I like the deal because it's a 4th line guy with speed who can kill some penalties and hits a bit. The $1.6 M cap is a tad high, but we have 4th liners making way more money. We need a 4th line for $5 M or so with good puck possession that hits everything, maybe kills some penalties and scores occasional goal.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
It’s funny watching another fanbase having the same conversations we had about Robby over the years. If he had hands, he’d be the best player on a team easily. He was a bright spot, even with low point totals, in the dark Larsen seasons in Columbus.
One of our local reporters on the radio this morning (Paul Hamilton) said if Robinson can contribute 24 pts a year on L4 here he would take that all day.

Did he do any PK in Columbus btw ?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm glad they have gotten the needed bump out of this minor move that they seem to have needed. It reminds me a bit of Jost's arrival - he was energized by it and gave them some good games that helped shift how some of the depth lines were playing. This reminds me of that. And for the cost, sure.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
This quote from Donny in the post-game locker room clip says it all. Robinson is helping reset the standard and holding his teammates accountable through his own effort, the only thing any of them can 100% control.

"Eric, Krebsy, and Okie, showed us the right f***ing way every f***ing shift. It's a man's game out there, play that way. The urgency's there, let's match it."

Also love someone yelling "Jersey boy!" at Robinson.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'm glad they have gotten the needed bump out of this minor move that they seem to have needed. It reminds me a bit of Jost's arrival - he was energized by it and gave them some good games that helped shift how some of the depth lines were playing. This reminds me of that. And for the cost, sure.
I kinda was hoping he would have gotten intoxicated by the find and let the sickness takeover..." a solid 4th liner for a seventh?....I wonder what I can get for a 2025 5th?":D

Reactions: Chainshot

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
This quote from Donny in the post-game locker room clip says it all. Robinson is helping reset the standard and holding his teammates accountable through his own effort, the only thing any of them can 100% control.

"Eric, Krebsy, and Okie, showed us the right f***ing way every f***ing shift. It's a man's game out there, play that way. The urgency's there, let's match it."

Also love someone yelling "Jersey boy!" at Robinson.

We need a Don Granato "Enthusiasm" counter a'la Welcome to Wrexham

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I kinda was hoping he would have gotten intoxicated by the find and let the sickness takeover..." a solid 4th liner for a seventh?....I wonder what I can get for a 2025 5th?":D

We can hope. There is certainly a gap between the waiver/future considerations type of fringe guy to get a couple dozen game bump and the pile of draft picks and prospects top line player to get a bump that I would like to see him explore.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
One of our local reporters on the radio this morning (Paul Hamilton) said if Robinson can contribute 24 pts a year on L4 here he would take that all day.

Did he do any PK in Columbus btw ?
Yes. That was his primary usage. He also paired well with Sean Kuraly as his center, so if you’ve got a center like that he’s set up for success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad