Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Eric Comrie 2yrs 1.8mil AAV, waived 12/31, Recalled 1/20

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I like these but they're kind of dorky. And the point of having Biron drive instead of them, and them just tooling around the same downtown streets over and over could be better. I'd rather see them in different vehicles (knowing they are probably pushing the Grand Wagoneer) and going different roads.
Personally, I am not looking to the Sabres for car test drive content.

I just like the conversations with Marty and the guys.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20230415_111322_Instagram.jpg
SmartSelect_20230415_111345_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: BUCKSHOT and jc17

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
He sucks. He's an AHLer. The Sabres need good goaltending. Might as well bring back Carter Hutton if the plan is to stick with Comrie. The list of top 10 goalies in the league this year is filled with the guys who were available and who the Sabres had more than enough draft capitol to aquire. And they would be in the playoffs right now if it weren't for the straight up incompetence that led them to sign Eric Comrie.

Reactions: RefsIdeas

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I’m probably the only one fine rolling with Comrie and Levi next year. Still a fan.
I am not sure about combos, as I am not convinced Levi starts in Buffalo. That said, of UPL and Comrie, Comrie is the more technically sound goalie. I would go with him over UPL. UPL is more athletic, but has focus issues and is not as polished. Both still have upside, but not alot I fear. See what you can get for either in the offseason, take the best deal and possible keep the other. Personally I would like a vet #1 goalie with 2-3 years on the contract, UPL or Comrie as backup, and Levi in Rochester to go after a Calder Cup with the prospect group we will have there.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
With our top 4 defensemen our goalie GA/60:
Andy: 2.7
Comrie: 2.9
UPL: 3.2

Another stat I was interested in was games vs playoff teams(or teams within a point):
Andy: 42%
Comrie: 68%
UPL: 60%'

While I'm happy with the teams goal of developing offense first, it didn't really help in giving us much useful information with the goalies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Ok here's another fun one I actually wanted to do last offseason when were shopping for goalies.

Expected goals are flawed, goals above/below expected even more-so, but here's an attempt to add some context by opponent strength. Weighting UPL and Comries game log by opponents' goals/xgoals ratio:

Comrie: additional .352 goals per game allowed
UPL: additional .410 goals per game allowed

Neither great, and not a huge difference.

Remove the Dallas game and comrie goes down to .05, which seems pretty good considering our defense. I know we can't forget about that game altogether but it does seem to be an outlier. For reference, it would take getting rid of UPL's worst 4 games to match that average. I guess takeaway from this is that comrie plays more consistently to the xGA, and if we're trying to win games next year, and Levi's here, I'd take comrie over the long term upside of UPL that many still feel is there.

It should also be noted that this is only 5v5, and PK ability can't be overlooked in the comparison.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Ok here's another fun one I actually wanted to do last offseason when were shopping for goalies.

Expected goals are flawed, goals above/below expected even more-so, but here's an attempt to add some context by opponent strength. Weighting UPL and Comries game log by opponents' goals/xgoals ratio:

Comrie: additional .352 goals per game allowed
UPL: additional .410 goals per game allowed

Neither great, and not a huge difference.

Remove the Dallas game and comrie goes down to .05, which seems pretty good considering our defense. I know we can't forget about that game altogether but it does seem to be an outlier. For reference, it would take getting rid of UPL's worst 4 games to match that average. I guess takeaway from this is that comrie plays more consistently to the xGA, and if we're trying to win games next year, and Levi's here, I'd take comrie over the long term upside of UPL that many still feel is there.

It should also be noted that this is only 5v5, and PK ability can't be overlooked in the comparison.

You are missing something about UPL, and it shown in his win/loss record. He has many games where he absolutely steals the game. Then several where he shits the bed. Comrie is more consistent, but never can make the big save. The result is more close losses for Comrie, while more steals for UPL (along with more blowout losses)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
You are missing something about UPL, and it shown in his win/loss record. He has many games where he absolutely steals the game. Then several where he shits the bed. Comrie is more consistent, but never can make the big save. The result is more close losses for Comrie, while more steals for UPL (along with more blowout losses)
Does he though?

I'm going back to the numbers, which I know aren't perfect, but I know I'm not going to remember every shot each of them faced either.

Games with 1+ goals saved above expected:
Comrie: 3 of 19
UPL: 3 of 33

Games with .5+ goals saved above expected (both 21%)
Comrie: 4 of 19
UPL: 7 of 33

Again, I do think UPL would have an advantage if PK was included, so by no means do I think it's case closed, but I'm not fully on board the UPL stolen game train either.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Patently untrue. He had several games (first WC swing, Isles SO, the two Tampa wins) where he's made clutch saves in the 3rd.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Patently untrue. He had several games (first WC swing, Isles SO, the two Tampa wins) where he's made clutch saves in the 3rd.

agree with you on the west coast swing.

The Isles SO, 100% disagree. That was the single easiest shutout I have seen a Sabres goalie receive in my 40+ years on Earth.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I’m probably the only one fine rolling with Comrie and Levi next year. Still a fan.
Comrie seemed decent enough. Levi was great for the most part. I worry about Comrie playing 1B with Levi, though. I'm not sure Levi will get much more than 50 games next season, so we'd be relying on Comrie to play the other 25-30. Has he ever done that many games before? It's a bit worrying in a year we're gunning for the playoffs. But, finding a better goalie would likely be tough in FA. Theyre almost always a crapshoot.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Comrie seemed decent enough. Levi was great for the most part. I worry about Comrie playing 1B with Levi, though. I'm not sure Levi will get much more than 50 games next season, so we'd be relying on Comrie to play the other 25-30. Has he ever done that many games before? It's a bit worrying in a year we're gunning for the playoffs. But, finding a better goalie would likely be tough in FA. Theyre almost always a crapshoot.
He doesn’t have many options and will leave a chunk of the fans enraged with whichever of the paths he ultimately chooses.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

There has been some talk (I think it was Duff and Biron, may have been Marek and a guest) about Levi getting 45 games so it's going to be 35ish for the other tender.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
There has been some talk (I think it was Duff and Biron, may have been Marek and a guest) about Levi getting 45 games so it's going to be 35ish for the other tender.

Levi should not be gifted the starting position next year. He needs to beat out a real NHL goalie if he is to be our starter.

Gifting the position is not likely the best for his development.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Levi should not be gifted the starting position next year. He needs to beat out a real NHL goalie if he is to be our starter.

Gifting the position is not likely the best for his development.

I've mentioned that I would prefer him to be in the AHL to start so he can work on his rebound control. I'm relaying what the commentary was. That's not an endorsement.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
UPL stole VERY few games this year. He did have great goal support though, which helps inflate his win-loss record

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
UPL stole VERY few games this year. He did have great goal support though, which helps inflate his win-loss record

I can think of a few. The Minnesota game (he allowed 5, but we were outplayed as bad as we were in the 10-4 Dallas loss), the Miller game, his last start where nobody wanted him to start and he goalied the other team for starters.

Often when UPL stole the game, he allowed 3 or 4, but he should have allowed 7 or 8 due to how horrific the D was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad