Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign D Erik Johnson to a 1 year deal worth $3.25M

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Looks like EJ got his goathead
Screenshot_20230802-151903.png

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He'll be great for this young squad. One thing that has been overlooked thus far in Adams' tenure is he's brought in a really solid group of leaders who have made playoff runs or been a part of elite teams (Tuch, Johnson, Clifton, etc...). Hopefully, that leadership will help calm this young team's nerves when they're in tense situations.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Good interview with EJ in the athletic

With his experience and perspective, the 35-year-old defenseman has quickly earned the trust of his coaches.

“A lot that you see outright, and a lot that you don’t see behind the scenes,” coach Don Granato said when asked what Johnson brings to the team as a leader. “We rely on him a lot as coaches, and he’s always there to help the guys on the team as well.”

What’s been the biggest adjustment?

Going from Colorado to here, the teams are in different places. It reminds me a little bit of when we were changing over to the younger core in 2017-18. We were still learning how to win. The same can be said probably for here right now. It’s a really young team. Haven’t gone through a lot of experiences, haven’t experienced the playoffs. I thought it was a fun challenge to help get this team to where it wants to go. Obviously my prime years are in my past, but I think I can lend a lot of experience and share a lot of insight to what it takes and still be a solid guy on the ice when it’s called on me to do so.

You compared this team to the 2017-18 Avalanche. Do you see the vision for this core?

Yeah. The team is super young. There’s still a lot to be learned. I think I can offer some guidance to these guys because I’ve seen it all. I don’t have all the answers, but I can certainly lend my experience. The biggest thing is these young guys really crave information. They want to learn and get better. That makes it easier for me. There aren’t really any egos in the room. I just see a lot of similarities to how good the Avs have gotten. While I don’t know for sure how good this Sabres team will be, I think it’s safe to see they’ll be a contending team for a long time in the future.

He seems like a good addition to the locker room. Lots of valuable experience with the Avs. He was there from the beginning so he went through the downs before the ups.

It’s great having a young core that’s so willing to take the advise of these veteran players. I don’t know if that was the case with our last young core, or at least Eichel. I remember him even taking that veiled shot at Gionta and Gorges in a post game interview during one of his first few seasons here, where he said “who’s going to listen to you if you’re not performing on the ice” or something to that nature.

It really does seem like Kevyn Adams and Don Granato have build a good culture here in Buffalo.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
How have you guys like EJ’s play so far? I have not watched any Sabres’ games, but I will on Sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad