Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign D Erik Johnson to a 1 year deal worth $3.25M

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
EJ used to come to Lubbock with the Electromagnets way way back. He was always the nicest most humble cat. We were spoiled. EJ, David Grissom, Stevie and Jimmy, Charlie Sexton, all the gang would regularly come through.

On the Ah Via tour EJ was plain ferocious. He opened all the dates I saw in Tex and NM with a Jimi medley of Are You Experienced/One Rainy Wish/Spanish Castle Magic - or - Manic Depression. Note for note brilliance.

Backline was the Dumble steel string singer, a couple of Twins, and a Plexi. Big and Loud and glorious. Sara Hickman opened some of the dates (if I recall correctly?), and the club gigs were EJ with no opening act. Places like the Club West in Santa Fe would let you in early and you could catch the soundcheck. If you could make friends with FOH, buy a shout w/e, they would sometimes gift you a desk mix of that gig to jam on the way home. Good times.

That's sick. I've seen EJ at the Tralf and at UB in Buffalo but never got such an awesome experience like you've had!

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
That's sick. I've seen EJ at the Tralf and at UB in Buffalo but never got such an awesome experience like you've had!
A bit off-topic so apologies all. The proximity to Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, and the Austin scene was guitar player heaven. You'd get the really heavy cats like Albert Collins and Gatemouth, then the next night Joe Ely would come to town with Grissom, Rev Willy and Top, all the players.

Every young guitar player in this area chased EJ's tone at the time. You had to have a fuzz face, a tc 1210, and a tape echo at the very least. No one knew about the sassafras wood build then or we would have felled them all in pursuit of that sound.

One of the things that always stuck out to me regarding EJ and his numerous idiosyncrasies - is his excessive use of subsequent upstrokes. Legendary right hand.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Do you still play?

If you do, i’d recommend learning and practicing your scales, pentatonic boxes and arpeggios. Almost every guitar solo is based off stuff like that.

For ex, That intro solo is based heavily on an e minor pentatonic (well, technically a minor hexatonic with a 9th), with a minor blues scales mixed in and some arpeggios following it.
Not an easy intro to play, but definitely easier if you know what it’s based on.

Edit - I actually found a pretty good video breaking it down.

Not in awhile, but ya, I was down with music theory back in the day. My school actually had a class in it, one of the cooler offerings available.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I posted on Colorado's board for some insight into EJ.

They believe he'd be a good bottom pairing guy who can play bigger minutes in a pinch, but you obviously don't want to play him 20 mins a night of the course of a season. No way they'd bring him back at that salary, but obviously we have the space to spare, and we value those intangibles enough to overpay on a one-year deal.

Sounds good to me!

Last edited:
Reactions: meganie

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
In his press availability yesterday, Seth Appert talked about Mersch and other culture drivers in Rochester and how that is important.

I think this signing is a blend of adding a culture driver and adding veteran defensive depth. Adams talked about the experience and leadership that he can bring and that is certainly going to be a big part of his impact here.

Like has been mentioned before, having a former 1OV D with a Cup ring around the Sabres two 1OV D is not a bad idea, even if Johnson is not the player that he once was.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20230703_102638_Instagram.jpg

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

If Sabres coach Don Granato puts Erik Johnson on the top defense pairing, he believes the veteran can help Rasmus Dahlin reset from the mental pressure he often puts on himself...

Of course, Granato thinks Johnson, 35, would have a similar effect on Owen Power, the No. 1 selection in 2021. And if Johnson skates with Mattias Samuelsson when the Sabres are down a man, Granato said the youngster “is going to move toward more of an elite penalty killer by virtue of sharing experience with Erik.”

Wonder if Johnson is intended to be a top 4 based upon what Granato is thinking

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

If Sabres coach Don Granato puts Erik Johnson on the top defense pairing, he believes the veteran can help Rasmus Dahlin reset from the mental pressure he often puts on himself...

Of course, Granato thinks Johnson, 35, would have a similar effect on Owen Power, the No. 1 selection in 2021. And if Johnson skates with Mattias Samuelsson when the Sabres are down a man, Granato said the youngster “is going to move toward more of an elite penalty killer by virtue of sharing experience with Erik.”

Wonder if Johnson is intended to be a top 4 based upon what Granato is thinking
It would be strange. He's just not that good for it anymore.

Reactions: dortt and Matt Ress

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
KA had already talked about the flexibility to change pairs within game depending on the situation.

It's also interesting that Granato is suggesting that Dahlin isn't locked in to playing right side all the time.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Apparently, he had a solid offer from a central team. I'm assuming we offered more salary, but it's possible he saw the Sabres as a team on the cusp of being very good, so he went with Buffalo. Depends on who the central team was.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It just dawned on me (and maybe I missed this earlier in the thread):

Johnson and Okposo were teammates at Minnesota in 06-07. Wonder if Okposo helped with the sales pitch.

Reactions: Dingo44

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Did a little bit of an in-depth look at EJ's numbers from a year ago. The few times I watched the Avs he looked washed, but admittedly that was towards the end of the year post-injury and then again in the playoffs. Probably not the best representation of his season as a whole.

Interestingly enough, after a slow start, his xGF% numbers really started looking good after game 15 or so. Then his numbers started dropping pretty bad after game 40.

1688781712430.png

So what happened? Taking a look at his partners, there was a little bit of line juggling at first, but then Byram and Manson got hurt which opened the door for EJ and Girard to eventually get settled in as a steady second pair.

1688781851277.png

Even though they had a defensive deployment, they put up decent numbers through the first half of the year.

1688782205775.png

Then after game 40, the bottom fell out. The Makar injury forced EJ into an even tougher deployment, more minutes, and then EJ got hurt as well. He came back sooner than people expected, but obviously he was rusty and playing through it and the numbers reflect it.

I'm absolutely talking myself into liking this more than my initial reaction, but it's possible that he can handle a top 4 role (Power's partner?) to start the year. He certainly won't be able to handle all the minutes that Power gets, but hopefully a steadier 3rd pair will allow a more even minute distribution. It's also possible that a top 4 load will cause him to eventually break down. Perhaps we can transition Clifton into that role during the season rather than hope he can just handle it right off the bat.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Did a little bit of an in-depth look at EJ's numbers from a year ago. The few times I watched the Avs he looked washed, but admittedly that was towards the end of the year post-injury and then again in the playoffs. Probably not the best representation of his season as a whole.

Interestingly enough, after a slow start, his xGF% numbers really started looking good after game 15 or so. Then his numbers started dropping pretty bad after game 40.

View attachment 727116

So what happened? Taking a look at his partners, there was a little bit of line juggling at first, but then Byram and Manson got hurt which opened the door for EJ and Girard to eventually get settled in as a steady second pair.

View attachment 727117

Even though they had a defensive deployment, they put up decent numbers through the first half of the year.

View attachment 727119

Then after game 40, the bottom fell out. The Makar injury forced EJ into an even tougher deployment, more minutes, and then EJ got hurt as well. He came back sooner than people expected, but obviously he was playing through it and the numbers reflect it.

I'm absolutely talking myself into liking this more than my initial reaction, but it's possible that he can handle a top 4 role (Power's partner?) to start the year. He certainly won't be able to handle all the minutes that Power gets, but hopefully a steadier 3rd pair will allow a more even minute distribution. It's also possible that a top 4 load will cause him to eventually break down. Perhaps we can transition Clifton into that role during the season rather than hope he can just handle it right off the bat.
Colorado fans said if Granato can manage his minutes, he should be effective. I can't discount the fact he's a year older, though. Players his age do fall off a cliff. That's why depth is important. Johnson is prone to injury, too, but he atleast played 63 games last year and 77 the year before that. Hopefully, we can count on him for 65+ games this year in a reduced role.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

I am very excited for EJ to work with our young guys. Hopefully make OP come out of his shell a little bit.

I am very excited for EJ to work with our young guys. OP seems like a super shy kid hopefully EJ can make him come out of his shell a bit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad