Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Zemgus Girgensons, 1 year, 2.5 mil aav

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Again, if this was a 2 or 3 year deal I wouldn't like it. But it's a 1 and done, I'm good with this. If we let Girgs walk, by late November we would be looking for someone who does exactly what he does.

Okposo was the one I was more keen on letting go off into the sunset.

Reactions: BFLO

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Again, if this was a 2 or 3 year deal I wouldn't like it. But it's a 1 and done, I'm good with this. If we let Girgs walk, by late November we would be looking for someone who does exactly what he does.

So then why wouldn't you like a 2 or 3 year deal....if we'd just be looking for another Zemgus?

We don't have a prospect that plays the same type of game he does.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
So then why wouldn't you like a 2 or 3 year deal....if we'd just be looking for another Zemgus?

Because better options in either FA or trade can arise outside of the organization and right now that isn't the case..? Not everything needs to be internal.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I'm happy Girgs is back as he's one of the best 5v5 shot suppressing forwards in the league. And I like him as a person/player.

Not speaking for Mogilny, but I would have been happy to lock Girgs up for like $1.5 x 2years.
He's a good 4th liner that's excellent defensively. Any contender would sign him for the exact same role. No clue how it's an issue. Getting rid of a good 4th liner to just to sign somebody else for the sake of change doesn't make much sense.
Contenders don't pay 4th liners $2.5mil aav

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm happy Girgs is back as he's one of the best 5v5 shot suppressing forwards in the league. And I like him as a person/player.

Not speaking for Mogilny, but I would have been happy to lock Girgs up for like $1.5 x 2years.

Vegas had Nic Roy and his $3M cap hit centering their 4th line.

Brandon Tanev is making $3.5M on Seattle's 4th line.

There are plenty of different ways to build a contender.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
They aren't putting the captain in the press box.

In a normal situation but Kyle is going to transition into more of a pure mentor role at some point. I still think he can hold his own but I'm sure the Sabres were open about the journey this year.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong and play all 82 and for good reason. That would be a nice thing to have happen.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
It has been stated repeatedly that it matters to the people in charge, you shouldn't be surprised.

And that's why we won't be winning a cup any time soon

Players will enjoy Club Sabres where you go to get a check and have nice amenities, while not having to go through a playoff grind.

Adams today all but confirmed this given he has no interest in improving the team

• Haha
Reactions: HOOats

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Because better options in either FA or trade can arise outside of the organization and right now that isn't the case..? Not everything needs to be internal.
This team, historically, has not shown themselves to be particularly great at finding bottom 6 additions, for whatever reason. Just assuming that they could let a player like Girgensons go and find a good replacement for him on the open market is mostly just wishful thinking until the team actually shows that it can do it successfully.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
KA is not going to do a veteran wrong, he has spoke of this happening in past and fixing the organizations reputation. Players are removing the Sabres from their no trade lists now, KA seems to have a very good reputation with agents, but we all want shiny new toys though.

I'm just still worried about the pk.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
so, we are just going to trot out the same lineup as last year and hope we have better goaltending with Levi

When will this team get it through their thick skulls that hope is not a valid strategy?

The draft hasn’t even happened yet, much less the FA season. Take a breath. Then probably a couple hundred thousand more. Then the season for making roster moves will actually start.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Vegas had Nic Roy and his $3M cap hit centering their 4th line.

Brandon Tanev is making $3.5M on Seattle's 4th line.

There are plenty of different ways to build a contender.
And Vegas had $2.75m Chandler Stephenson centering their 2nd line.

Roy was #209 in PPG among forwards in 2021-2022, his contract year. That's 3rd line production.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Roy was #209 in PPG among forwards in 2021-2022, his contract year. That's 3rd line production.
Spending $2.5M on ZG to play on the 4th line is because they have so many young guys on ELCs and value contracts for their production.

If this team is not a contender, it will be more about their youth and not because ZG (and Okposo) are making more than your average 4th liners.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
8AC68F5F-5306-4CD0-B6EB-CEEE1BF69078.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Diaspora

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Spending $2.5M on ZG to play on the 4th line is because they have so many young guys on ELCs and value contracts for their production.

If this team is not a contender, it will be more about their youth and not because ZG (and Okposo) are making more than your average 4th liners.
Overpaying ZG and OK on 1 year deals doesn't really matter as long as they also choose to spend to upgrade the parts of the roster that need it.

Even if Kevyn makes all the moves I'm hoping for this summer I still don't see us as contenders, but I do see us as comfortably making the playoffs.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021

Tampa had Tyler Johnson the the 4th line making 5M. Vegas had Roy on the 4th line making 3M.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

That has nothing to do with your original post about contenders not paying 4th liners money. The fact they have a good contract on their second line irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad