Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign D Jacob Bryson to 2 yr deal @ $1.85M AAV - Waived 12/18/23, Re-assigned 1/20/24

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Or Fitzgerald. We have a spare miniature
Sabres roster analogy to rental cars... (@Ace)

Class of Car & Emergency flat tire solution:
Forward -- Fully inflated full-sized spare tire on full-sized rim. Can maintain cruising speeds.
Defense -- Donut spare. Do not exceed 40 mph. Replace at earliest opportunity.
Goalie -- 24oz can of fix of flat. Try it and hope / pray you can actually get underway again.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Now if John Klingberg can get his 8.5 million you're over the floor.

don22

Jan 29, 2021
Would have preferred a longer term. He seemed to make great strides this past season. Cleaned up a lot of defensive play in our zone. Reminds me a bit of Sekera. I think he can be pretty nice X factor as a 3rd pairing defenseman. Would have liked a longer term, but it's a fair deal for both sides. Bryson gets to bet on himself and Sabres protect themselves down the road if they want to go in a different direction if Bryson doesn't continue to improve when we're ready to compete

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
(Not) So fun fact I came across today while looking at some stats:

At 5 on 5, among skaters with at least 250mins played (to exclude the ones with zeroes), Jacob Bryson had the worst points-per-60 out of anybody at the NHL. He totaled 3 ES points in 73 games. 10 points on the year, 7 on the PP.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

At 5 on 5, among skaters with at least 250mins played (to exclude the ones with zeroes), Jacob Bryson had the worst points-per-60 out of anybody at the NHL. He totaled 3 ES points in 73 games. 10 points on the year, 7 on the PP.

Meh. I don’t expect that to be his game. He’s more of the Pesce or Slavin mould, where any offence you get is a bonus.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

A very outspoken former poster has been spewing this crap on twitter for a while now. What it takes away from is the fact that Bryson has embraced his role as a probable bottom 4 guy and used his strong skating to develop into a very good defensive defenseman.

I'm almost certain that Bryson is going to play 15 years in the league and always be underappreciated because of his size and lack of points while having a positive play driving impact.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
A very outspoken former poster has been spewing this crap on twitter for a while now. What it takes away from is the fact that Bryson has embraced his role as a probable bottom 4 guy and used his strong skating to develop into a very good defensive defenseman.

I'm almost certain that Bryson is going to play 15 years in the league and always be underappreciated because of his size and lack of points while having a positive play driving impact.

Him defending Connor McDavid 1-on-1 was his potential on full display. If he can reliably play at that level...

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011

I mean, he’s dead last. Nobody worse. Even if he drives play, every single other defenseman (and forward) that played more than a handful of games did more at 5 on 5. Even if he’s slightly above average defensively (which I would debate, he’s tiny and get outmuscled easily - I would call him average) the total lack of offense is a killer.

I’ve gone back and watched the last quarter of the season. Honestly, before watching I had a positive view of Bryson. I came away very surprised by how bad he looked. Digging into some more numbers backed it up. He’s not good. He is a strong skater, but is a poor passer and scared to pass at times. Sure he’s not projected to be more than a third pairing guy - but if we want to point to an area where the Sabres could’ve upgraded this offseason, I point straight to him.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I mean, he’s dead last. Nobody worse. Even if he drives play, every single other defenseman (and forward) that played more than a handful of games did more at 5 on 5. Even if he’s slightly above average defensively (which I would debate, he’s tiny and get outmuscled easily - I would call him average) the total lack of offense is a killer.

I’ve gone back and watched the last quarter of the season. Honestly, before watching I had a positive view of Bryson. I came away very surprised by how bad he looked. Digging into some more numbers backed it up. He’s not good. He is a strong skater, but is a poor passer and scared to pass at times. Sure he’s not projected to be more than a third pairing guy - but if we want to point to an area where the Sabres could’ve upgraded this offseason, I point straight to him.

So two things:
1) Are you saying you'd rather have a guy that scoring more individual points but the team's performance is worse while he's on the ice. I happen to know a guy in Philly that meets these requirements :laugh:
2) Do you think that Bryson is done developing as a defenseman?

Regarding #2, he scored in college, he scored at a decent rate in Roch, he scored at a higher pace 2 years ago, and he's coming off of 2 messed up Covid-impacted years with Krueger as his coach. So bottom line, I'm assuming there's some untapped potential there, I wouldn't read too much into his point totals from last year.

I'm interested in seeing how he responds this year with some more stability around him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We also know that he can perform as a RD and not suck defensively when he does it so they have some mobile versatility with him that they don't necessarily have with others. At the moment, he's a player who has a use and is relatively inexpensive. He's also not really in anyone's way if someone comes along who can give them more shot contribution/size/whatever without sacrificing adequate shot suppression. He's not bad depth, but he's a fringe player who would need to take steps to secure his future in the league. I'm interested to see how that plays out.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
We also know that he can perform as a RD and not suck defensively when he does it so they have some mobile versatility with him that they don't necessarily have with others. At the moment, he's a player who has a use and is relatively inexpensive. He's also not really in anyone's way if someone comes along who can give them more shot contribution/size/whatever without sacrificing adequate shot suppression. He's not bad depth, but he's a fringe player who would need to take steps to secure his future in the league. I'm interested to see how that plays out.
Exactly. If he for sure turns into a pumpkin it has no impact on the team's plans. Right now he is one of the best 6 defensemen under contract for sure. He has upside to potentially remain one of the best 6 going forward.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
So two things:
1) Are you saying you'd rather have a guy that scoring more individual points but the team's performance is worse while he's on the ice. I happen to know a guy in Philly that meets these requirements :laugh:
2) Do you think that Bryson is done developing as a defenseman?

Regarding #2, he scored in college, he scored at a decent rate in Roch, he scored at a higher pace 2 years ago, and he's coming off of 2 messed up Covid-impacted years with Krueger as his coach. So bottom line, I'm assuming there's some untapped potential there, I wouldn't read too much into his point totals from last year.

I'm interested in seeing how he responds this year with some more stability around him.
1. No, that’s not what I’m saying. There’s no way around that he’s the worst offensive producer on 5 on 5. There’s a long list of defenseman who both drive play and aren’t literally the worst offensively.

2. Not done, probably 85% finished though.

Bryson is fine as your first call up #8 organizational guy. But, to not try and upgrade that position seems pretty bad from my viewpoint. Perhaps we still will (Chychrun rumors) but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad