Rumor: Sabres have made Sam Reinhart available for trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why are the Sabers thinking of moving him? The Jets don't make the best trading partners since the strength of our talent and prospect pool is built around forwards. Someone might do something stupid to get Sam but I am not sure why they would? Sam has not kicked the door down by any stretch and although a 47 point sophomore season was "ok" it was not droll worthy by any means.

Wonder if they are "hoping" to go the picks and prospects route or the forward for D man route? Either way what a mess when they are potentially flipping their 2nd overall asset that should have been an integral piece of their young core. This all goes back to when they were bottoming out to rebuild and were doing it right but then they ripped the shoot too fast and started trading to get better now with moves like O'Reilly for Zadorov and a 31st. Sent Armia, Lemieux, and a 1st to Winnipeg as part of a larger trade.......spent a 1st round pick up Lehner. It was a bit confusing to me at the time and its even more confusing looking back especially with where the org is right now?

Yup. Buffalo did their tear down very well - but they have blown the rebuild. I don't know if they can fix it. On paper their roster looks better than it does on the ice. Their D is terrible. They have some good looking F prospects but nothing coming on D except Guhle.

Calgary needs RW's. They have Dmen to burn. Would Sam be worth Rasmus Anderson + Kylington? How close would that be? Calgary has got themselves squarely into the PO race. That should make them more willing to pull the trigger.

They will have a very high pick this year, maybe 1st. They should be able to add an outstanding D prospect. They could rescue this rebuild yet.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Either Connor or Morrissey is worth more than Sam - quite a bit more. They don't consider it. They rush him to the airport. Never mind we add.

He is a worthwhile trade chip for Buffalo. Will probably bring a decent return, but not that good.

We simply don't need him. Our best offer is probably that Petan + Dano suggestion that Buffalo hangs up on. TBH, I'm not sure I'd be willing to part with those 2 for him. I am pretty sure that Sabres hang up the phone though.

Tough question Mort but if Buffalo flipped Sam for a top 4 D man and happened to land a stud D prospect early in the draft this year they might be able to turn a corner. They will probably have a 1st coming back for Kane too so perhaps its the second phase of the rebuild?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tough question Mort but if Buffalo flipped Sam for a top 4 D man and happened to land a stud D prospect early in the draft this year they might be able to turn a corner. They will probably have a 1st coming back for Kane too so perhaps its the second phase of the rebuild?

Yeah, I didn't mention the Kane return but I was thinking of that too. They are not done yet. They changed GM's and we haven't seen much of Botterill yet.

I know there has been a lot of wining about Lehner but his record still looks pretty good and Ullmark is promising. They should be OK in goal. They look good at C with Jack and RoR and a couple of pretty strong prospects. They have a few prospects on the wings but I think they are still a little thin there.

They need to make a couple of good trades and get the draft right over the next 2-3 years. I don't see much room for more **** ups but I can see them turning around fairly quickly from here. If they get it right.

Reactions: ps241

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
You mean, like Griffin Reinhart genes - slow and non-athletic? I think Reinhart will never fulfill his potential because he lacks the quickness and speed that top players have, and he doesn't have the drive that slower players like Mark Stone have to become real stars.

Possibly. If neither Griffin or Sam starts to really want it, then neither will live up to their potential. Right now it doesn't look good amazing for them. We shouldn't be trading for either, unless it's a great steal for us.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The reason why most posters are suggesting including Dano in a trade package, is because he's invisible on the ice, and has "no value" to the Jets IMO. I'm sure the other teams think the same way.

There is something good about a trade with Buffalo, and that is players don't seem to play well there --like Armia, Kulikov and others. The team chemistry must be bad, and there may be a good player we could "extract". I think the trade would have to involve more value than Petan and Dano. Maybe send then back Roslo and Petan, and if not good enough, would have to involve a defenseman --maybe Enstrom ??

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The reason why most posters are suggesting including Dano in a trade package, is because he's invisible on the ice, and has "no value" to the Jets IMO. I'm sure the other teams think the same way.

There is something good about a trade with Buffalo, and that is players don't seem to play well there --like Armia, Kulikov and others. The team chemistry must be bad, and there may be a good player we could "extract". I think the trade would have to involve more value than Petan and Dano. Maybe send then back Roslo and Petan, and if not good enough, would have to involve a defenseman --maybe Enstrom ??

I'd take Roslo over Slow Sam. Think he's a better fit with the Jets speed + skill ethos. Also don't see Toby agreeing to play for Buf.

EDIT: Reflecting on this for the time it took to type this post has made it clear to me that I don't want any Reinharts, even the better ones, near this team atm. Nope, nope -- 1000x nope.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Educated guess I would do Roslovic and Poolman and nothing more. provides a young player with equal upside and a D guy who without a doubt plays on Sabres top 6 d. It is a truly fair and equitable deal.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Educated guess I would do Roslovic and Poolman and nothing more. provides a young player with equal upside and a D guy who without a doubt plays on Sabres top 6 d. It is a truly fair and equitable deal.

Please NO.
Don't be too influenced by draft position (assuming that is what you are going by). I would love to get Reinhart - for a bargain basement price. I wouldn't give them Roslo straight up. Not even close. I'm not sure I would give them Poolman straight up. We would win that on value but lose on need.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Please NO.
Don't be too influenced by draft position (assuming that is what you are going by). I would love to get Reinhart - for a bargain basement price. I wouldn't give them Roslo straight up. Not even close. I'm not sure I would give them Poolman straight up. We would win that on value but lose on need.

Reinhart is just in a bad position to flourish honestly and I feel this deal helps both teams. Ripping off Buffalo seems like bad karma since we already did one in the kane deal. We hurt that team adding cancer to there dressing room on a rebuilding team with young impressionable kids . Add Ryan O'reilly all about the money and we hurt that team bad. Karma let's do right by them and get our next Bryan Little but give them 2 solid character kids.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If the price is right Jets should trade for Reinhart. I believe he has not even close for his potential, he is smart with the puck and he would give Jets guy who is excellent for playing in slot on power play. He is also versitile with ability to play center or on wing. He is right age with our young core.

Please provide a link for this - a cursory glance of social media shows no mention of any rumour from credible media sources.

Edit: thanks for the link. Re-opening.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Please provide a link for this - a cursory glance of social media shows no mention of any rumour from credible media sources.

Edit: thanks for the link. Re-opening.

I knew the OP was quoting McKenzie, I just find it odd that no one in Buffalo seems to care.

Last edited:

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
What Sabres are asking now from Evander Kane shows that maybe price for Reinhart would be too much for the Jets......

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Reinhart is just in a bad position to flourish honestly and I feel this deal helps both teams. Ripping off Buffalo seems like bad karma since we already did one in the kane deal. We hurt that team adding cancer to there dressing room on a rebuilding team with young impressionable kids . Add Ryan O'reilly all about the money and we hurt that team bad. Karma let's do right by them and get our next Bryan Little but give them 2 solid character kids.

It has nothing to do with 'ripping off Buffalo' or anything else you mention. You are proposing paying TOO much for Reinhart. We didn't hurt that team at all, in any way and we most certainly are not responsible for Ryan O'Reilly.

You seem to imply that we have some responsibility to fix the Sabres. We don't.

Reinhart is not worth Roslovic. Period.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Be interesting to see who goes after Kane. JMO, but Kane would make a good rental, but only a rental, as it appears he may not play well with others over the long term.

I assume you mean some other team renting Kane. :laugh:

For the right team he could be one of the rare rentals who make a big difference. He shouldn't poison a room too badly in that short a time.

Dreger's tweet only says that a Reinhart deal isn't likely before the TD. He isn't typical deadline material. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved in the off-season at some point. Buffalo clearly needs to make some changes.

Reactions: GNP

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Be interesting to see who goes after Kane. JMO, but Kane would make a good rental, but only a rental, as it appears he may not play well with others over the long term.

Rental players tend to not work...so why would a "poison in the room" guy be any good as a rental?

Random GM: "Hey my team is really close to winning a cup...I should ad EK he doesn't help teams win, he's poison in the room and a disaster off ice......yeah that's a great idea. Marcie get Buffalo on the phone."

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Rental players tend to not work...so why would a "poison in the room" guy be any good as a rental?

Random GM: "Hey my team is really close to winning a cup...I should ad EK he doesn't help teams win, he's poison in the room and a disaster off ice......yeah that's a great idea. Marcie get Buffalo on the phone."

He's got some skills, and as we get closer to the deadline there could be an injury that prompts some GM to make a deal or concern about losing a player during the playoffs. It's not just about adding Kane to add Kane, but more about potentially replacing someone who goes down. A skilled guy who can offer some short term insurance.

As far a poisoning the room... that doesn't happen day 1. Players will give players the benefit of the doubt and not believe all the press clippings and will want to see with there own eyes. I imagine it takes Kane a season to start getting on peoples nerves... more time than the playoffs last anyways.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
With the way the Jets are playing, I would part with Petan or Dano and a 1st rounder to acquire Reinhart. I would then put him on a skilled line with Perreeault and Armia and let them do their thing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With the way the Jets are playing, I would part with Petan or Dano and a 1st rounder to acquire Reinhart. I would then put him on a skilled line with Perreeault and Armia and let them do their thing.

I doubt that gets Reinhart. Who sits so that he can play?

I'd be interested if he looked like a premium 3C but Sabres fans seem adamant that he can't make the NHL at C. Is he really an upgrade on Armia at RW? If so then is it by enough to justify that price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad