Rumor: Sabres are willing to give Callahan 7 years at 42 million

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
OK, let's make both sides of this argument happy...

Sign him , and trade him at next year's trade deadline :sarcasm:

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I'm not opposed to giving Callahan that contract. His 200-foot game is one that every young player in this organization should (and probably would) follow.

This team (and its pipeline) has a very good chance to be one that emulates the Bruins' style of play. Big and nasty on the blue line with forwards that play hard in all three phases of the game. Bringing in a vet like Callahan would be good in spearheading that emulation. He and Ott (if retained) would form two-thirds of a very solid leadership group.

I don't care for the Clarkson comparisons. Clarkson's 30-goal campaign deceived his offseason suitors into thinking he was more than a third-line grinder. He's not more than that. Callahan is a top-six winger on just about every team in the NHL. You know what you're getting with him: 40-50ish points, leadership, smarts and a 200-foot commitment. You aren't getting any of those things from Clarkson (except maybe the scoring in a good year).

Buffalo has and will have a plethora of cap space for a long time. Callahan's play will likely decline with age and injuries, but the effect his presence could have on younger players makes it worth taking the risk from my perspective.

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts. I'm definitely on board for signing Callahan. I would rather do something like 4-5 years at 6.5-7 than 7 years... but I think if he could get to free agency they would probably have to give him what he wants.

The biggest hurdle is that a team trading for him probably doesn't trade for him without giving him a contract, especially if his agent is allowed to talk to teams and can speed up that process. That or it seems like the Rangers would sign him. Just doesn't seem all that likely he will get to UFA.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
This is pretty much exactly my thoughts. I'm definitely on board for signing Callahan. I would rather do something like 4-5 years at 6.5-7 than 7 years... but I think if he could get to free agency they would probably have to give him what he wants.

The biggest hurdle is that a team trading for him probably doesn't trade for him without giving him a contract, especially if his agent is allowed to talk to teams and can speed up that process. That or it seems like the Rangers would sign him. Just doesn't seem all that likely he will get to UFA.

Fairly certain they're heavily exploring a sign-and-trade

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Callahan is 1/3rd the player Drury was and shows up to 1/2 the games Drury did.

I agree with this.

Throwing money at Callahan on long term deals would bite them in the arse now, and then again later.

3.5 million would be as high as I'd go.
But hey, that's just me.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I agree with this.

Throwing money at Callahan on long term deals would bite them in the arse now, and then again later.

3.5 million would be as high as I'd go.
But hey, that's just me.

I get long term, but why does it bite them in the ass now? Have you seen our cap situation? Short term it does not hurt us, at all.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I get long term, but why does it bite them in the ass now? Have you seen our cap situation? Short term it does not hurt us, at all.

I don't see the point of signing someone like Callahan long-term (it has to be a massive overpayment to get him interested) and the franchise is more than likely 5 years away (at least) from competing.

In a world where Clarkson and Clowe get the kind of money they do, Callahan is likely to get at least that much from a mid-tier team desperate to make a move.

That's not the way to go IMO.

Hopefully they are modelling themselves long-term after a franchise like Detroit.
But for now, the shining example of how to build a contender from a bunch of very very good pieces - but no generational talent a la Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, etc - is St. Louis Blues.

It takes patience and time, there are no shortcuts, signing guys like Cally doesn't seem to make sense IMO.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It certainly won't be a sign and trade with Buffalo. While Buffalo signing Callahan in the summer is a questionable move, trading away anything for him in that process is definitely a bad move.

As for the idea that his cap hit wouldn't hurt down the road - we don't know. When the cap limit goes up, salaries are generally going to go up also. They always have and always will, so what we think 5 mil can afford next season won't have the same purchase power in 2017 or 2018. A stud coming off his ELC could quite possibly demand and get a 6-7 mil AAV contract in a few years.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't see the point of signing someone like Callahan long-term (it has to be a massive overpayment to get him interested) and the franchise is more than likely 5 years away (at least) from competing.

In a world where Clarkson and Clowe get the kind of money they do, Callahan is likely to get at least that much from a mid-tier team desperate to make a move.

Hopefully they are modelling themselves long-term after a franchise like Detroit.
But for now, the shining example of how to build a contender from a bunch of very very good pieces - but no generational talent a la Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, etc - is St. Louis Blues.

It takes patience and time, there are no shortcuts, signing guys like Cally doesn't seem to make sense IMO.

Chicago signing Campbell...

Massively overpaid
Wanted to change the cultuer
Had a young core to develop
Won a cup with the young core
Was able to move Campbell when he's out or whack contract was impacting their cap
Won another cup

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

I may agree with you about the overall picture, but I was asking why you said it would bite us in the ass short term.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

Massively overpaid
Was able to move Campbell when he's out or whack contract was impacting their cap
Won another cup

On the other hand, I would argue that they win those cups without Brian Campbell. They had their Kane, Toews, Sharp, Kieth, Bolland, Hossa etc.

I would also argue that the young players in that group would have developed the same way had Campbell never been on the team.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Massively overpaid
Won another cup

Campbell was still a minute-eating, solid defenseman when they needed to move him.

If the Sabres ever NEED to move Callahan (say in years 5-7 of the deal).....I'd be worried that his body is broken to the point where no team will take him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Campbell was still a minute-eating, solid defenseman when they needed to move him.

If the Sabres ever NEED to move Callahan (say in years 5-7 of the deal).....I'd be worried that his body is broken to the point where no team will take him.

I'll take the implied benefit of Callahan on the franchise through the rebuild over the concern about future cap

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Give Callahan a big contract that takes him to the start of Hoff's last season. Then if you trade Hoff, Callahan coming off the books almost completely solves the problem for the season in question. I think you can benefit a lot from signing Callahan but I also don't think Callahan is the only way to gain those benefits.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Massively overpaid
Won another cup

Yes, but Chicago was in a place where the Sabres HOPE to be in 2 years.
They had all the pieces set, all the players were ready for the NHL.

All Buffalo top prospects are either not ready for the NHL (except Grigo), in the minors/juniors (Zadorov, Risto, Grigorenko, etc.), or not even drafted (next two drafts are likely lottery picks + picks via trades).

Signing someone like Callahan two years down the line, sure.
This offseason though, makes no sense IMO.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I dunno. I really do see the point to signing him this offseason. It's not often someone like him comes around, and he is pretty much the PERFECT captain for a rebuilding team.

Guys like Myers, Hodgson, Ennis, Girgensons (especially) could learn a ton from being around him.

My only concern about Callahan is that he'd be broken down and just about not useful by year 6 or 7........but not injured enough for a permanent place on the IR like Pronger.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yes, but Chicago was in a place where the Sabres HOPE to be in 2 years.
They had all the pieces set, all the players were ready for the NHL.

All Buffalo top prospects are either not ready for the NHL (except Grigo), in the minors/juniors (Zadorov, Risto, Grigorenko, etc.), or not even drafted (next two drafts are likely lottery picks + picks via trades).

Which means there are far less cap implications for Buffalo doing something similar

2 years down the line would have a bigger impact on the long term cap...

I'm interested in the intangibles. I'm interested in building the culture of Sabres hockey, and I think it's very rare that you have the ability to get a player who you think can drive that change. I think it's worth every penny and more... and concerns of player weardown and cap structure 5-7 years down the line is relatively unimportant right now.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Does anyone know where this "rumor" came from? It seems Eklund-esque... something that kinda/sorta makes sense but has no basis in reality.

If someone from the Sabres FO did actually leak this it could be considered tampering from a league perspective. Less teams would be inclined to kick Cally's tires if they know that he's going to sign with the 'Bres in the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad