Rumor: Sabres are willing to give Callahan 7 years at 42 million

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
In what way are they comparable?

Legwand is 5 years older, but their numbers over the past 4.5 seasons have been really close with Callahan having more goals and Legwand more assists.

What other potential UFA is a closer comparison to Callahan for conversation sake?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Why would you want to start your rebuild by overpaying ? I could maybe see it if you were like one player away from being serious cup contenders, and that one player would put you over the top....But there is no reason to start by overpaying....We are a ways from contending.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Why would you want to start your rebuild by overpaying ? I could maybe see it if you were like one player away from being serious cup contenders, and that one player would put you over the top....But there is no reason to start by overpaying....We are a ways from contending.

IMO the thought here is that you're paying more for intangibles. You could get his production for a lot less money. We need guys like him around during this part of the rebuild, but the cost may be too high in this case.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Legwand is 5 years older, but their numbers over the past 4.5 seasons have been really close with Callahan having more goals and Legwand more assists.

What other potential UFA is a closer comparison to Callahan for conversation sake?

Legwand is a good choice. He just doesn't get Callahan's press. I'd pay plenty for Legwand and it would probably be done a 2 year deal instead of 7.

You can say Legwand hasn't really won anything but what the heck has Callahan and the Rangers done? About the same.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Legwand's age actually makes him ideal if they want a guy on a 3 year contract, something Callahan would never sign. If Legwand does leave the Preds as a UFA though I certainly wouldn't fault him if he wants to sign with a contender.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
It's as if people think having more than one player in the Ott/Callahan mold is somehow a negative.

Hell, I'll take four of them.

If cap space was shaping up to be an issue, I'd have a problem with giving Callahan this kind of coin. But it's not. The two guys that we HOPE will command big-money contracts aren't even in the system yet ('14 and '15 first-rounders). Given this organization's newly established slow-cook approach to development, it's a very real possibility that those players won't yet be in situations to command big money until years four-five of Callahan's hypothetical contract (unless McDavid/Eichel become Sabres' property, which I don't see happening). The opposite could be true, but I don't find it as likely.

Even in the BEST CASE scenario, where Risto, Zadorov, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia and Pysyk get substantial raises in two-four years (which I don't think will happen with at least two of them), there will be plenty of cap (provided it keeps rising) to afford Callahan.

This should be an award winning post!!:handclap:

The reality is that with such a young team, contracts won't be a huge problem until the sabres are well into Callahan's contract. Where will this team be in relation to the cap floor, next season?? Salary cap isn't much of a threat. His propensity to become injured is the only thing that could be a red flag, and even then, i am doubtful.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It's as if people think having more than one player in the Ott/Callahan mold is somehow a negative.

If cap space was shaping up to be an issue, I'd have a problem with giving Callahan this kind of coin. But it's not. The two guys that we HOPE will command big-money contracts aren't even in the system yet ('14 and '15 first-rounders). Given this organization's newly established slow-cook approach to development, it's a very real possibility that those players won't yet be in situations to command big money until years four-five of Callahan's hypothetical contract (unless McDavid/Eichel become Sabres' property, which I don't see happening). The opposite could be true, but I don't find it as likely.

Even in the BEST CASE scenario, where Risto, Zadorov, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia and Pysyk get substantial raises in two-four years (which I don't think will happen with at least two of them), there will be plenty of cap (provided it keeps rising) to afford Callahan.

Better yet, they think having ONE of their types is enough.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Well put, I'd pose the same argument. Sign Callahan and try to re-sign Ott. If we need to spend money to reach the floor I can't think of better investments that are actually realistic.
Legwand's age actually makes him ideal if they want a guy on a 3 year contract, something Callahan would never sign. If Legwand does leave the Preds as a UFA though I certainly wouldn't fault him if he wants to sign with a contender.

I like Legwand, but I just don't see him having any interest in coming here. he's been stuck on a crappy Preds team his whole career, why would he want to go to an even worse Sabres team? The only reason I can even entertain the thought of Callahan is that he's still semi-young at 28 (so he might be willing to wait through a rebuild), he's a local guy who might enjoy playing here, and we have the money to spend that he'll be looking for.

I don't think you need to bring guys here through the FA route. We are on a path here that I like a lot. Spend a few years near the bottom, drafting elite talent. Those elite prospects should ultimately be the key players for the team moving forward. Surround them with character, effort guys who have some skill and I truly believe we will be great over a long term.

I like the path we're on as well. I don't think Callahan hurts our trajectory heading towards a top pick again next year. I also don't think him being overpaid on a long-term deal hurts our ability to keep any of these young guys in the fold. Good teams with a lot of talent find ways to keep their most important players.
I don't think you need to shell out this kind of money to Callahan for 2 good years of production.
This is the definition of hyperbole. He's 28 years old! he'll be 29 next year. Sure he plays a rough style that takes it's toll, but I don't see how he doesn't have several good years of hockey left in him.
I'd rather re-sign Ott than sign Callahan. Ott can be the heart and soul role model.
Re-sign Ott and sign Callahan. What else do we need the money for? The more guys of their ilk the better.
In the end, whoever has that role is just keeping Zemgus's seat warm anyway for a few years.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I absolutely agree, but the poster also pencilled in Eichel, who may be nearly as good. And I would be pretty comfortable pencilling in Eichel. Our goal differential is last in the league by a country mile and we're set to lose one of our top offensive guys and our top goalie. GMTM is ready to tank us if need be at next year's deadline, he's intimated. I think Eichel is coming to Buffalo (and think of the press around a future American star coming to a city that's becoming USA hockey's darling venue).
That's a push, nearly doesn't compare to talent such as Crosby/Stamkos/Ovechkin/Tavares.. We need that kinda lead player.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Isn't a buyout of Leino a likely scenario anyways? Replace one monster contract with another. Would anyone really complain about a Leino -> Callahan swap?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That's a push, nearly doesn't compare to talent such as Crosby/Stamkos/Ovechkin/Tavares.. We need that kinda lead player.

You lump those players together like they're all on the same plane. Eichel has every chance to be an elite franchise player, so I don't really get what your point is.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Callahan isn't going anywhere, already has 2 goals tonight against the Avs. He is there captain, I doubt he gets traded.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Captains get traded all the time, as do players playing well.

Those things don't matter if they know they can't re-sign him.

Yeah I know but it seems extremely odd to trade your captain during a playoff run. I mean has that ever happened?

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Yeah I know but it seems extremely odd to trade your captain during a playoff run. I mean has that ever happened?

Pretty sure Sather said Callahan and Girardi would both be traded if they could not be signed before the trade deadline.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You lump those players together like they're all on the same plane. Eichel has every chance to be an elite franchise player, so I don't really get what your point is.
They are on the same plane, I would say those guys are NHL superstars and then you have the next tier which is something like Getzlaf, Pat Kane, Kessel, Thornton, Giroux etc..

It's similar to the draft the levels of players, you always have your set few then it falls off a little bit and so on and so on the deeper you get.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
They are on the same plane, I would say those guys are NHL superstars and then you have the next tier which is something like Getzlaf, Pat Kane, Kessel, Thornton, Giroux etc..

It's similar to the draft the levels of players, you always have your set few then it falls off a little bit and so on and so on the deeper you get.

Crosby is better than the rest of the group for starters. I wouldn't wanna have to argue that Tavares is on a different plane than Getzlaf because that's a big stretch. Eichel would be a #1 most draft years, that's my point. Getting him would absolutely make a huge difference. Assuming we get a high-end guy who lives up to his billing in this draft + what we already have, "losing out" on McDavid and getting Eichel would still put us in a great position to be a contender if they build properly on top of that.

Those 4 guys you listed have 1 Stanley Cup amongst them. Of course they're all pretty young, especially Stamkos and Tavares, but you get the point. We need franchise players, I wouldn't go much past that.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
As of today we have some cap space but look into the future and realize that our younger players, especially our promising defencemen will need to get paid at some point. After this season Ruhwedel and McNabb are RFAs but will probably get a two year bridge deal for a smallish amount of money and a decision has to be made on Ennis who is another RFA.

After the 14/15 season guys like Pysyk, Grigorenko, Larsson, as well as Varone and Flynn are RFAs.

After the 15/16 season you have Girgensons, Risto, Zado, Armia and Catenacci who are all RFAs and need to be resigned.

The team may not resign all 13 players and maybe most that do will get signed to the infamous "bridge" contract before getting their big payday but many of those players are what we hope to be the core of a Cup winning team. While their talent may vary most will remain with the team unless being traded for an equally talented player who will also require a respectable payday.

So yes we have lots of cap space this season and YES we will probably be just above the cap floor next season but at some point our young players will need to get paid. The cap may keep going up but if the Canadian dollar stays low or gets even lower the cap increase may not be as drastic as some once predicted.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
After the 14/15 season guys like Pysyk, Grigorenko, Larsson, as well as Varone and Flynn are RFAs.

...and none of them will be in line to cash in for quite a while.

After the 15/16 season you have Girgensons, Risto, Zado, Armia and Catenacci who are all RFAs and need to be resigned.

Zadorov won't need to be re-signed until after the 16-17 season provided he plays in the NHL next year (if he doesn't, he won't have to be re-signed until after 17-18). Girgensons and Risto have looked promising, but it's unlikely that they'll warrant major contracts at the conclusion of their deals. Catenacci and Armia haven't even played well at the AHL level.

This team's stable of prospects is impressive but not laden with blue-chip talent. You're overrating the talent of the players in the system and the speed at which those players will reach that level of talent.

Furthermore, even if, for example, Girgensons, Ristolainen and Pysyk command $5 million apiece when their ELCs are up (highly unlikely), you still have tons of cap to comfortably fit Callahan under.

Bridge contracts AFTER Buffalo's top prospects' entry-level deals expire make it so that this team won't be tight against the cap until years 6 and 7 of Callahan's hypothetical contract. Worry about it then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad