Proposal: S.Weber for T.Liljegren, K.Kapanen, C.Pickard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Think about what Burns would get if the Sharks traded him. Then consider the trade value to be a little bit less as Burns is a bit better but the same age. Habs are not trading Weber. If we do, the Leafs only have one piece I would want that is not on the roster (Liljegren). On the roster, it would be Nylander.

Nylander, Liljegren, 2018 1st for Weber. If no deal (which I would expect). Go find a top paring D on some other team

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Think about what Burns would get if the Sharks traded him. Then consider the trade value to be a little bit less as Burns is a bit better but the same age. Habs are not trading Weber. If we do, the Leafs only have one piece I would want that is not on the roster (Liljegren). On the roster, it would be Nylander.

Nylander, Liljegren, 2018 1st for Weber. If no deal (which I would expect). Go find a top paring D on some other team
burns has more value than weber, so no thats not a comparable. also weber is barely a top-pairing dman. he is trending down. nylander on his own has more value than weber, so the habs would add to that. the habs should pay teams to take on weber not the other way around. awful proposal. its like you forgot what his contract looks like.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would love Weber in Toronto....for 3 -5 years.

Contract makes him a no-go, along with giving up our two top prospects.

Weber's contract drops from $3M to 3 years at $1M from age 37-40. So there is a very high degree of probability that he plays for the next 4 or 5 years (age 32-36/37). Then you consider that the team that Weber is on when he retires would hold leverage over the Preds ($24M in cap recapture penalties), His contract is not as bad as some think it is.

What do you think the chances are that Weber plays for $1M at the ages of 38, 39, 40?

Reactions: MTL-rules

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Hahaha. I hesitated on Kapanen & Liljegren.

You want Nylander?!?! AND MORE?

If Nylander was traded straight up for Weber, there would be buildings burning in Toronto. Let alone adding Liljegren and a 1st.

That's some funny stuff.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
burns has more value than weber, so no thats not a comparable. also weber is barely a top-pairing dman. he is trending down. nylander on his own has more value than weber, so the habs would add to that. the habs should pay teams to take on weber not the other way around. awful proposal. its like you forgot what his contract looks like.

It's a very good comparable. Both are top paring D, the same age and on similar AAV. The difference is Burns is a top 10 NHL defenseman (likely top 5) and Weber is a fringe top 10 NHL defenseman (likely from the 7-13 range).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hahaha. I hesitated on Kapanen & Liljegren.

You want Nylander?!?! AND MORE?

If Nylander was traded straight up for Weber, there would be buildings burning in Toronto. Let along adding Liljegren and a 1st.

That's some funny stuff.

Yeah. I expected a no so go try to get your #1D from another team. Good luck

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
To TOR: S.Weber
To MTL: T.Liljegren, K.Kapanen, C.Pickard

discuss.

Notes to consider:

- MTL rumblings are starting to sound like rebuild, including Price
- Babs loves Weber
- Weber fits well on a dcorps full of puck-movers to partner with
- NAS is on the hook for post-retirement caphit
- Weber's contract is still intimidating to take on, even if MTL eats salary
You rarely see these kind of trades happening. Not happening.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
It rarely happens because it's a terrible trade proposal. 3 unproven assets for a #1D who is the best goal scoring defenseman in the game.
I agree with you. The OP made such a terrible proposal without giving a thought of the current circumstances in the NHL. The OP needs to stop playing EA NHL games and come back to reality.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I agree with you. The OP made such a terrible proposal without giving a thought of the current circumstances in the NHL. The OP needs to stop playing EA NHL games and come back to reality.
he needs to eat chili paneer, which is what i had yesterday for dinner

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
i agree with this.

as a habs fan, this is the kind of package that would be needed to have Weber out of Montreal, but if i was a leafs fan i woulnt like it.
even if Weber is still and Elite Complimentary 2D and like you stated he would be the perfect partner for Morgan. Thing people tend to forget a 1D along side a guy like weber who is still decent offensively gives alot of confidence to the 1D to join the rush, wich can maximize is potential!

Toronto with Weber, without giving current pieces would definitly make them a better team, the thing is, does it make them contend? and is it worth the gamble to trade liljegren who could do damage for years since the core is very young... Thats what makes me think Leafs doesn't touch this, but babcock being the coach and having alot of leverage makes me think too!
@HOPE gets it.
:yo:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yeah. I expected a no so go try to get your #1D from another team. Good luck
i mean Weber isn't a 1D either... in my opinion he's the perfect addition to a 1D tho wich isn't bad by any mean, he does have a first good pass, decent mobility for his size and a good defensive positioning but he lacks the ability to join the rush and create offensively by his own to have that "1D" in this modern NHL.

i do think your legit 1D gets better paired with a 2D like Weber!

Reactions: firstemperor

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Weber's contract drops from $3M to 3 years at $1M from age 37-40. So there is a very high degree of probability that he plays for the next 4 or 5 years (age 32-36/37). Then you consider that the team that Weber is on when he retires would hold leverage over the Preds ($24M in cap recapture penalties), His contract is not as bad as some think it is.

What do you think the chances are that Weber plays for $1M at the ages of 38, 39, 40?

Not great. But what are the chances Weber's skating/defensive play falls off a cliff by year 3? A couple more lower body injuries and there's a good chance of that happening.

The price you have to pay for him, combined with his age/contract just make this too risky for an acquiring team. Maybe a GM like Chiarelli makes a desperation move like this in an attempt to save his job, but I don't see Shanahan/Lou lining up to add a massive contract like Weber's.

Reactions: jklimmy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i mean Weber isn't a 1D either... in my opinion he's the perfect addition to a 1D tho wich isn't bad by any mean, he does have a first good pass, decent mobility for his size and a good defensive positioning but he lacks the ability to join the rush and create offensively by his own to have that "1D" in this modern NHL.

i do think your legit 1D gets better paired with a 2D like Weber!

Weber is a #1D. He is a fringe top 10 NHL defenseman. Just stop it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad