Proposal: S.Weber for T.Liljegren, K.Kapanen, C.Pickard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
It's my opinion. If Hainsey can be doing what he is doing for the Leafs this year at age 36, I'm a betting man that Weber can maintain his level of play from age 33-36. You have two choices...

1. If you want Weber, pay up. Don't bother trying to devalue him and to justify a buy low price. It won't get you anywhere. Habs are not shopping Weber and I prefer to keep him. However, if you want him, Habs will listen if the offer is serious and not an attempt to buy low. Forget about that

2. If you don't want Weber cause of either decline issues or too much of a high asking price. Move on and say we have no deal.

This might be a much easier thing to consider if Weber was not making 7.87M per until 2022/23 compared to 3.6m for Hainsey for the 2018/19 season. With Weber you are paying for a top tier player who is already 36 and the likelihood is that he can't maintain that elite level for much longer while retaining that elite salary.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This might be a much easier thing to consider if Weber was not making 7.87M per until 2022/23 compared to 3.6m for Hainsey for the 2018/19 season. With Weber you are paying for a top tier player who is already 36 and the likelihood is that he can't maintain that elite level for much longer while retaining that elite salary.

Huh? Weber is already age 36? No wonder you think he is in decline ;)

Hainsey was brought up to show people that players don't fall off a cliff in decline in their early to mid 30's. Pretty sure Weber can be very close to who he is today at age 36 which is 4 more seasons. Leafs have played him in their top 4D all year and he is currently paired with Reilly at the moment. Pretty sure that classifies as their potential top pairing. It's magic how Hainsey is able to accomplish this at the age of 36. What a prodigy eh? lol

The real decline happens from age 35-40 and is different with all players and depends on what team and players they are playing with too. Weber will not be traded for cheap... He likely will not be traded at all

Last edited:

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Again, the guys you've listed are the exceptions to the rule, not the norm. Sure Weber could be another exception, but there's much, much more examples of players that regressed significantly so all I'm saying is you're betting against the odds assuming Weber will be one of these exceptions. Also, I'm pretty sure both Neidermayer and Pronger retired when they were 36 so they're not exactly the best examples to prove your point with.
Well 2 things. Weber is a phenomenal defenceman and has every chance to retire as a very good defenceman. Just like those guys. Also when those guys retired neidermayer was 37 I believe and pronger was going on 38 and were still top defencemen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wow... id you just try to correct a post because it didn't put a captial. Holy pathetic argument batman. #FoundTheHomer

When you talk about someone and devalue him while not capitalizing the first letter in their name :sarcasm:. There was also some other points made in that post that you ignored. Stop being so sensitive ;)

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
When you talk about someone and devalue him while not capitalizing the first letter in their name :sarcasm:. There was also some other points made in that post that you ignored. Stop being so sensitive ;)
HAHAH DID YOU JUST CALL SOMEONE ELSE SENSTIVE when you are trying to play grammar cop. Wow

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
With a 1st round pick on top of it, I might consider.

As the offer stands, not enough quality to move a guy like Weber.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
With a 1st round pick on top of it, I might consider.

As the offer stands, not enough quality to move a guy like Weber.
I agree. Some Toronto fans making it seem like Weber doesnt fit their mold is insane. Sure he is older (33?) but you wlso need to try and be as competitive as possible with all the young kids on ELCs and guys who are in mid-tier contracts who certainly gets upgrades soon.

Weber in Toronto for entirely futures makes them a contender.

siddy

Oct 26, 2010
The problem with the Leafs trading for Weber is that they have to hand out some big contracts in the future. Nylander this year, Marner and Matthews the next.

It's debatable whether trading for a d-man in their 30s on a long-term contract is a good idea or not, but from a purely cap-space point-of-view the Leafs would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Reactions: Mork

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I agree. Some Toronto fans making it seem like Weber doesnt fit their mold is insane. Sure he is older (33?) but you wlso need to try and be as competitive as possible with all the young kids on ELCs and guys who are in mid-tier contracts who certainly gets upgrades soon.

I hear this logic all the time, it sounds like, "The Leafs have to win now while there top players on on ELC.s' Sorry no one is buying that nonsense. Pens, Lightning, Ducks, Preds.....lots of good teams have their best players on their 2nd or 3rd contract.
Wouldn't the Leafs be 100 times better off, Overpaying for a UFA like Carlson at 7.8m and keep Liljegren and Kapanen instead trading for Weber and giving up Liljgren and Kapanen.
Don't know why non Leaf fans think Weber would make the Leafs contenders. Weber never made his Preds or his Habs contenders.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I hear this logic all the time, it sounds like, "The Leafs have to win now while there top players on on ELC.s' Sorry no one is buying that nonsense. Pens, Lightning, Ducks, Preds.....lots of good teams have their best players on their 2nd or 3rd contract.
Wouldn't the Leafs be 100 times better off, Overpaying for a UFA like Carlson at 7.8m and keep Liljegren and Kapanen instead trading for Weber and giving up Liljgren and Kapanen.
Don't know why non Leaf fans think Weber would make the Leafs contenders. Weber never made his Preds or his Habs contenders.
Well you wont be getting Carlson because he wants to stay near his family. So kill that idea.

Second no one said you have to win now but dont act like it isnt important trying to win when some of your best players are cost controlled. Id put my money on the Leafs pushing hard next season for a Cup run if they dont get blownout these playoffs.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013

Weber is but one piece of a puzzle. The Predators when Weber was in the team look like nothing as what they are now. Plus, the team would most likely still look the same since Weber was only traded for Subban one for one. So imagine todays Preds with Weber and the team is still a great hockey team.

As for the Habs, the GM is pathetic and has forced a rebuild on the team because of lack of talent. At least they have character.

As for the Leafs, they already are a good team. Adding Weber would put them over the top. Denying that fact is ridiculous and absurd. BUT, yes your argument makes sense about going after someone like Carlson, if he becomes available, then to trade your kids for Weber. But then again, is losing Marner and keeping Kapanen that much better for the team? You guys know it better than I do.

Why do I say you will lose Marner? Because I doubt the Leafs will be able to keep Matthews, Nylander and Marner AND go after that number 1 D they need. Anyways, my 2 cents.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wow... id you just try to correct a post because it didn't put a captial. Holy pathetic argument batman. #FoundTheHomer

Batman has a capital B,... ducks.... ooops. kidding.

-----------------------------------------------

Carlson wants to stay near family... first I've heard of that, though it's validity is about as good as saying, Tavares to Toronto, because his GF is from Oshawa and family from Oakville...

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015

I'm more than fine being thought insane then. Do not want Weber.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I'm more than fine being thought insane then. Do not want Weber.
I didn't say it makes you insane to not want Weber. I wouldn't either.

My point was fans saying he wouldn't be a fit. He'd be a perfect fit as the player he is. Its that contract that pulls people away so lets not act like Weber on LD1 doesn't make the Leafs a contender.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Carlson wants to stay near family... first I've heard of that, though it's validity is about as good as saying, Tavares to Toronto, because his GF is from Oshawa and family from Oakville...
This isn't anything new. That is why he is rumored to go to teams such as Washington, Boston, NJ, and the NY teams.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
To TOR: S.Weber
To MTL: T.Liljegren, K.Kapanen, C.Pickard

discuss.

Notes to consider:

- MTL rumblings are starting to sound like rebuild, including Price
- Babs loves Weber
- Weber fits well on a dcorps full of puck-movers to partner with
- NAS is on the hook for post-retirement caphit
- Weber's contract is still intimidating to take on, even if MTL eats salary

The bold is dominant.
If Leafs had a surplus of prospects like Bruins or TBL, I could see them thinking of some version of it. But it is huge uphill climb.
And if they were not gonna cough up Lilj for a younger, cheaper McD who could have been had at half retention, they are not gonna bite on Weber.

NYR likely pass, but we can consider a prop w/open mind.
If I am not mistaken Web is even worse contract than Ryan - mo $, older, longer.
Key here is to realize Weber or any other toxic contract is not gonna return great assets. You have to pay to have the garbage hauled away.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The bold is dominant.
If Leafs had a surplus of prospects like Bruins or TBL, I could see them thinking of some version of it. But it is huge uphill climb.
And if they were not gonna cough up Lilj for a younger, cheaper McD who could have been had at half retention, they are not gonna bite on Weber.

NYR likely pass, but we can consider a prop w/open mind.
If I am not mistaken Web is even worse contract than Ryan - mo $, older, longer.
Key here is to realize Weber or any other toxic contract is not gonna return great assets. You have to pay to have the garbage hauled away.
One difference is that after next season McDonagh can become a UFA. Weber is under contract until 2025-2026. If the Leafs had the assets like the Bruins and Lightning did, I think there is better chance they take a chance and try harder to get McDonagh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad