Player Discussion Ryan Strome

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He looks pretty good, he'll be an Adam Henrique type player... just a little younger. Useful.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Seems a good fit already. I know some here are concerned about the length of his contract, but I don't see it becoming much of an issue.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How do you guys feel about Strome midway through his first season here?

The entire team has been down to where they should be as per production. He has had his good moments but like to see more from him. Don’t think he has been terrible.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Hes about what I expected.

He'd be more effective on a team with a stronger offensive presence. Hopefully the team becomes that while hes still in his prime years.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Agreed. He will be a more impactful player when surrounded by more talent, similar to his situation in New York.

Hes about what I expected.

He'd be more effective on a team with a stronger offensive presence. Hopefully the team becomes that while hes still in his prime years.

It's weird. One could easily say the same thing about Shattenkirk, but it's straight vitriol for Shatty.
FA​
2021-22​
2022-23​
Anaheim​
Jan 15th​
Player​
Team​
Pts​
PPG​
Plus/Minus​
.​
Team​
Games​
Pts​
PPG​
Plus/minus​
Strome​
NYR​
54​
0.73​
15​
Anaheim​
43​
21​
0.49​
-22​

i think he'll end up being a good Rico replacement when his contract is done. a good vet player to have.

Strome is a vet, but when we compare him to older Rico in the same system...

Rico: 42 games, 23 pts, and -1 rating.

Faceoffs this year
Rico: 53.0%​
Strome: 43.0%​

I'd kinda agree with @DavidBL , Strome is more like Rakell than Rico.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Glad to see the line. That was exactly what I wanted over the summer. I like that MC is getting a chance there. He better work his ass off to stay there.

Yeah he can do the dirty work for the other two. If Eakins keeps Strome and Z together think they will both benefit and produce more with Comtois being the sand paper when he is playing his game.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He’s a fine player and I also think his game is going to age well. He’s not out there relying on speed or athleticism to beat guys.

I definitely see him being effective at least until 34-35

It's weird. One could easily say the same thing about Shattenkirk, but it's straight vitriol for Shatty.
FA​
2021-22​
2022-23​
Anaheim​
Jan 15th​
Player​
Team​
Pts​
PPG​
Plus/Minus​
.​
Team​
Games​
Pts​
PPG​
Plus/minus​
Strome​
NYR​
54​
0.73​
15​
Anaheim​
43​
21​
0.49​
-22​

Strome is a vet, but when we compare him to older Rico in the same system...

Rico: 42 games, 23 pts, and -1 rating.

Faceoffs this year
Rico: 53.0%​
Strome: 43.0%​

I'd kinda agree with @DavidBL , Strome is more like Rakell than Rico.
Him and Rico are both good players. Rico is a UFA in a year and a half and will likely be traded with retention for a good draft pick. And I could actually see Verbeek pulling the trigger on that by this years trade deadline. Why wait and risk injury/decline hurting Rico’s value?

It makes sense that Strome was brought in to allow for that to happen

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
The line was Comtois - Zegras - Strome. It was a good game, just that bad play in OT was um bad, lol.
While I'm not the biggest fan of the idea of separating Vatrano and Strome, it's not like they've got much chemistry or have had much success on a line together this season.

Comtois seemed determined to make the most of the opportunity - so that was good to see. Hopefully he can find some consistency now because that's really been a problem for him since turning pro.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I like that he plays with a bit of an edge. I was expecting a little more skill though. He’s had his moments, just needs more consistency like everyone else on the roster.

I was expecting Strome to be tougher to play against and have better puck possession, but he's more finesse than power forward.

The line was Comtois - Zegras - Strome. It was a good game, just that bad play in OT was um bad, lol.

Comtois can play the power forward role to free up Z and let's Strome play the finesse game to set up Z. I like this line. It's almost another iteration of Comtois-Lundy-Rakell, but Lundy was the PF, Rakell the finesse passer, and Comtois the goal scorer.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was expecting Strome to be more of a guy who could make things happen by himself but that probably was just from me not knowing enough about the player.

Strome needs a line driver and a guy who can create space for him. That play he made in the Pittsburgh game was a good example when given time and space. Good things will happen.

His production is not where I had hoped, but I blame it more on the system than the player and them having to defend and spend most of the time in their own zone. Hard to create offense when you are pinned in your own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad