Player Discussion Ryan Spooner

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm just leery of going all in on the tank and ending up like Edmonton, the Islanders, Arizona, etc.

A lot of it has to do with culture.

The teams that end up like that are the teams the blow up everyone over the age of 22 and ice an AHL team for years on end. Then when McDavid and Eichel show up, they're alone and the attitude around the team reeks.

In our case, I don't think Hank ever let's that happen, both on the ice and in the room. But we can help him out with that by starting to improve the team this summer. I would leave Kreider, Spooner, Namestnikov, and Shattenkirk alone. Like I said earlier, I'd be ringing Chia off the hook about Klefbom. If there's reasonably young free agents out there who can help this team in 18-19 or a guy we can rejuvenate like a Grabner, you sign them. I listen to offers on Zuccarello but don't trade him for the sake of trading him. Fire the coach, he makes us lose.

By no means do you go "all in" on winning the Cup or buy at the deadline, but for heavens sake try to be better than we were this year. It shouldn't be hard. This team blows this year.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes unless we get a 1st or top #3 picks for Zucc - I would keep him too and don`t move him for a 2nd pick or lower it`s not worth it. I mention this earlier and the length of this rebuild - if we move all our veterans like in Kevin or Zucc we might delay the amount of years until we can compete for the cup again in the final. And it can be fast 5-6 years rebuild schedule instead.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We won't be able to name 5 teams won a Cup that didn't finish bottom 5 in the past 20 years. There are only 5 teams that have not finished bottom 5 in the past 20 years:

Dallas (Cup)
Detroit (Cups)
New Jersey (Cups)
N.Y. Rangers :(
Minnesota (Impressive for an expansion)

So that's 3/5. The rest of the league is 8/25.

And the Rangers got oh so close to make it 4/5

darko

Feb 16, 2009
A lot of it has to do with culture.

The teams that end up like that are the teams the blow up everyone over the age of 22 and ice an AHL team for years on end. Then when McDavid and Eichel show up, they're alone and the attitude around the team reeks.

In our case, I don't think Hank ever let's that happen, both on the ice and in the room. But we can help him out with that by starting to improve the team this summer. I would leave Kreider, Spooner, Namestnikov, and Shattenkirk alone. Like I said earlier, I'd be ringing Chia off the hook about Klefbom. If there's reasonably young free agents out there who can help this team in 18-19 or a guy we can rejuvenate like a Grabner, you sign them. I listen to offers on Zuccarello but don't trade him for the sake of trading him. Fire the coach, he makes us lose.

By no means do you go "all in" on winning the Cup or buy at the deadline, but for heavens sake try to be better than we were this year. It shouldn't be hard. This team blows this year.

Why would Chia trade Klefbom?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Also, I get the desire for elite talent. I look at the Yankees with Judge, Sanchez, and Stanton at the same time and wonder if the Rangers have had three forwards that good in the last 50 years, let alone at the same time.

That being said, it's a bit of red herring as to why we didn't win the Cup. We failed to win the Cup because during crucial offseasons, we let some of our best players walk to keep some of our worst, and hired a coach that accentuated weaknesses.

If we extend Stralman and let Girardi walk, we win the Cup in 2015. I would bet my life on that.

You can't compare Yankees with Rangers. MLB teams benefit from Latin America which is a gold mine. MLB draft is a lot different than NHL one. You can snag star players in 20th round because they may not play in baseball hotbed or there are signability issues or college commitments.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
In case anyone is curious, here's the most bottom-5 finishes since 1997-98:
NYI11
FLA8
TB7
CBJ6
EDM6
WPG5
LA4
PIT4
TOR4
WSH4
CGY3
CHI3
COL3
NSH3
VAN3
ANA2
ARI2
BOS2
BUF2
CAR2
STL2
MTL1
OTT1
PHI1
SJ1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Really working out for the Isles.

Reactions: FultonReed

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You can't compare Yankees with Rangers. MLB teams benefit from Latin America which is a gold mine. MLB draft is a lot different than NHL one. You can snag star players in 20th round because they may not play in baseball hotbed or there are signability issues or college commitments.

Sounds a lot like Russians to me

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Is klefbom good? I'll be honest I haven't watched a ton of oilers games in the past few years and I've always been underwhelmed by him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Is klefbom good? I'll be honest I haven't watched a ton of oilers games in the past few years and I've always been underwhelmed by him.

Very good last season but down year this year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
DTMAboutHeart thinks he's the best defenseman in the league. Take that however you will.

Back here in the realm of traditional counting stats he's a good #2 who's never had a negative impact.

He was a #1 in 16-17.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yes, but there's like 500 rounds, so everything is x10.

Still, if Buchnevich was Kylan Pronger from Bear Crotch, Saskatchewan, he goes in the first round.

40 rounds and LA free agents.

Russia is somewhat of an uknown however you can get a fair idea about a player. It's more of a question will he come over and how will he adjust. Latin America is an unknown. The 2 aren't even comparable.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
40 rounds and LA free agents.

Russia is somewhat of an uknown however you can get a fair idea about a player. It's more of a question will he come over and how will he adjust. Latin America is an unknown. The 2 aren't even comparable.

But they're comparable when it's convenient for everyone to say "BUT THE YANKEES BLEW IT UP!!!!" (they didn't)

And the point wasn't really to compare the process of getting there, just the outlooks of the two teams and how fans might perceive that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad