Player Discussion Ryan Spooner

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
fair enough. Personally I'd rather watch 3 or 4 years of trash followed by 10 years of success rather than watching 13 or 14 years of mediocrity.
But hopefully it doesn't "have to be" 3 or 4. I'm hoping for 2 max (and this year counts), so I would be willing to go through 1 more year of sucking, but want to see a bunch of young fleet footing kids making mistakes and learning from them. Playing together all year and growing TOGETHER. That would be fun and something we must go though despite the losing. At least it may be for a good cause......eventually.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
fair enough. Personally I'd rather watch 3 or 4 years of trash followed by 10 years of success rather than watching 13 or 14 years of mediocrity.

So I guess anything less than a stanley cup is mediocrity to you. This team has gone to three conference finals including a trip to the finals in the last 7 years. Hell, they should have been in another conference finals last year if AV wasn't such a jackass. I have enjoyed all of them even though they haven't won it all. Now is the time to go in a different direction as Gorton has done but you can't look back and say the last 7 years or so has been just mediocre. It's just not true.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So I guess anything less than a stanley cup is mediocrity to you. This team has gone to three conference finals including a trip to the finals in the last 7 years. Hell, they should have been in another conference finals last year if AV wasn't such a jackass. I have enjoyed all of them even though they haven't won it all. Now is the time to go in a different direction as Gorton has done but you can't look back and say the last 7 years or so has been just mediocre. It's just not true.
Absolutely all of it driven by the greatest goalie of this generation who we got in the 7th round....

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Spooner now only trails Barzal, Kucherov, MacKinnon, and Marchand in points/60.

He just passed up, um....Connor McDavid :laugh:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Real question on spooner....how many of his points are secondary?

When looking at p/60 isn't primary the more important metric to use?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I think it's a good indicator to look at primary points, but not all secondary points are garbage. Last night for instance, he had that pass to Gilmour that basically set up the entire breakaway. To me, it's difficult to completely ignore secondary points

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think it's a good indicator to look at primary points, but not all secondary points are garbage. Last night for instance, he had that pass to Gilmour that basically set up the entire breakaway. To me, it's difficult to completely ignore secondary points
Agreed...just feel like a great number of his points so far have been mostly driven by other players...granted he's been real good..but still....

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I think the logic is that ignoring key secondary assists is offset by counting “lesser” primary assists.

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
I still wonder why the Bruins decided to get rid of him. He is playing quite good now. What was wrong with him in Boston?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I still wonder why the Bruins decided to get rid of him. He is playing quite good now. What was wrong with him in Boston?

I don't think it's really that they decided to get rid of him as much as it was they needed to find a way to make the salary work for the trade and he was the most logical candidate.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

My understanding is that he was tried and didn’t work out as a regular center, and only recently he was converted to a full time wing. His contract issue last offseason and another upcoming arbitration eligibility plus Boston’s salary cap issues were factors too.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

17 of his 27 5v5 points are primary (9G, 8A). For all situations, 23 of his 36 points are primary (11G, 12A). I tend to look at all of those different factors to see if someone can drive play or has been racking up a lot of secondary points. I think there's a weird stigma around secondary points, but it's not that they're bad, it's just that they're not really repeatable in the long run.

Reactions: Inferno

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Hope you guys are enjoying Spooner.

As for Nash, he can dominate shifts, but like you guys were saying, he may lead the league in "almosts".

He's shifty, fights to the slot, dangerous on the rush, he could easily have 3-4 more goals.

But I feel like that's been a theme of his for the last couples seasons.

Great move into a scoring area, then puck falls of the end of his stick, shot gets blocked, shoots when he should have held a half second more, etc.

Overall though pretty happy.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

As for Nash, he can dominate shifts, but like you guys were saying, he may lead the league in "almosts".

He's shifty, fights to the slot, dangerous on the rush, he could easily have 3-4 more goals.

Great move into a scoring area, then puck falls of the end of his stick, shot gets blocked, shoots when he should have held a half second more, etc.

As I said at the deadline, he's a good two way player and a quality guy. If you consider any goals a bonus you'll enjoy Nash. lol

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

There’s more to his game so try on concentrate on his complete 200 foot game. Also while you pretty much described Nash’s offensive game to a “t”, he has it in him to go on a good scoring streak that could last weeks or even a month.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Basically sums up his entire career

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

If you go with just primary he goes from 3rd to 26th. I'm not complaining about having the 26th best even strength scorer in the league this year.

Reactions: Inferno

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

The guy has 12 points in 7 games and has played great. He has had some brilliant primary assists and last night had an assist the started a breakout that wound up being a secondary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad