Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins '16-17 and Beyond

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Nuge is what he is. Same with Yak. Same with Eberle, etc.

We know what we have in all these guys now. Drai will overtake RNH as early as next year, and I bet Nuge gets moved next summer.

Edit clarification

Last edited:

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
That's very obvious to most people, yes.

It's also well known that Nuge isn't the regular bar/night club patron around town as some other Oilers are very famous for in those circles.

And correct me if I'm wrong but Chia has a history of trading young stars who spend a lot of time in the clubs.

Instead of survivor guilt, maybe rnh's actual reaction was more like "yup, saw that coming.... and we got Larsson out of it, he's pretty good"

Someone really jumped the shark but I'm chalking it up to slow day at the office boredom

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Now we know why Yakupov played so bad last year.. We traded for Reinhart and the survivor's guilt in Yakupov triggered! It all makes sense now .. .

Honestly 3/4 years down the road the players and pretty much no one in any organization give a **** who was drafted ahead of who.

If there was anyone that triggered "survior's guilt" for RNH ..it wouldnt be Larsson but Johnny Hockey drafted more than a 100 picks after RNH.

Hall must be sulking too since Seguin and Tarasenko are tearing up the league.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Nuge is what he is. Same with Yak. Same with Eberle, etc.

We know what we have in all these guys now. Drai will overtake RNH as early as next year, and I bet Nuge gets moved this summer.

or maybe we will find out what we have in Draisaitl next season..

2014\15: 37GP 2goals 9pts -17
end of 2015\16: 30GP 5goals 11pts -9

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
He tops out as a decent 40-50 point C. Hasn't really shown significantly more than that, and he's had every opportunity in the world to succeed. It's all on him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Now we know why Yakupov played so bad last year.. We traded for Reinhart and the survivor's guilt in Yakupov triggered! It all makes sense now .. .

Honestly 3/4 years down the road the players and pretty much no one in any organization give a **** who was drafted ahead of who.

If there was anyone that triggered "survior's guilt" for RNH ..it wouldnt be Larsson but Johnny Hockey drafted more than a 100 picks after RNH.

Hall must be sulking too since Seguin and Tarasenko are tearing up the league.

Its funny that you mention that because I think its a likely source of embarrassment for the Oilers ratpack (anybody but hall who has been better) of how good Johhny hockey has been and how quickly he made the NHL transition.

You think when Calgary comes in here and owns this team 5-0 in their own barn the pack here are not deflated in that? Or caught wondering about their own respective development.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
00ea728893950cf1838b628709eac04e.jpg

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
My only complaint about nuge is his lack of offseason improvement body wise. He needs to be stronger to last 82 games and then playoffs. Hope he's lifting like crazy this year not just playing video games and watching horses.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
My only complaint about nuge is his lack of offseason improvement body wise. He needs to be stronger to last 82 games and then playoffs. Hope he's lifting like crazy this year not just playing video games and watching horses.

He actually looked a lot bigger last year.

I assume some of the skill guys are just cautious with their offseason.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Great topic and worthy of its own thread.

First off RNH is currently our number one center. Ice time, quality of competition, and experience. Even his PPG is relative to a low end #1 despite people moaning that he does not produce enough offense.

I personally hope Maroon stays with McDavid and Lucic goes to Nuge. Since he will most likely still be doing the heavy lifting. Pouliot is ok as well but I think Lucic would create more space for RNH.

I personally think RNH has a full nother gear we have not seen yet. More offense certainly but just overall he has more. He is young and I think most people agree that stylistically he needs more time than most to reach his potential. I don't expect to see the full Nuge till he is 27ish.

Moving forward RNH will be used less as Leon and McDavid take tougher minutes. But I really don't see that happening for a couple years. As it does I imagine Nuge will reap some nice benefits as his quality of competition lowers.

I personally never see Nuge getting on average less than 17 minutes a night and solid PP time as well in his career as an Oiler. Just can't see it.

He is our #1, I think he will get even better, and at worst he will be our #2.

Leon has shown well on the wing and will need time to build up experience against top quality of competition. He could take Nuges spot but I just don't see that really happening for a long time if ever.

I would make the lines as follows to balance experience and effectiveness.

Lucic RNH Puli
Maroon McDavid Ebs
Pouliot Leon Kassian (maybe Yak if very sheltered minutes and on the team)
Hend Lets Paka

Give Leon some sheltered minutes.

Give McDavid his old linemates.

Get Nuge some space and size to take on the leagues best.

The bolded is what I've said for a long time, that Nuge won't hit his true peak until his late 20's and will be a late bloomer. I think the Sedin's are a good comparable with similar frames and play styles and they didn't break out until they were 25. The reason I think that is because Nuge still have a lot of physical growth to do, and he seems to not realize just how skilled of a player he actually is. I don't know if I'll be right, but I think at some point he's going to gain confidence in his ability and realize just how good of a hockey player he really can be and it will all just click.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And correct me if I'm wrong but Chia has a history of trading young stars who spend a lot of time in the clubs.

Instead of survivor guilt, maybe rnh's actual reaction was more like "yup, saw that coming.... and we got Larsson out of it, he's pretty good"

Someone really jumped the shark but I'm chalking it up to slow day at the office boredom

So in your estimation it wouldn't even occur to Nuge that his friend got traded for the player that passed Nuge in value since his draft year? The player picked 4th that year who now has greater worth than Nuge? So much so that the #1 pick (Nuge) couldn't even be considered in trade for the 4th(Larsson now?

if that doesn't occur to him theres something wrong with his motivation.

The entire time Hall has been in the NHL he's tried to keep up with Sequin. With Hall and Sequin being too fine thoroughbreds. Unlike Nuge still trying to find his way 6yrs in.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The bolded is what I've said for a long time, that Nuge won't hit his true peak until his late 20's and will be a late bloomer. I think the Sedin's are a good comparable with similar frames and play styles and they didn't break out until they were 25. The reason I think that is because Nuge still have a lot of physical growth to do, and he seems to not realize just how skilled of a player he actually is. I don't know if I'll be right, but I think at some point he's going to gain confidence in his ability and realize just how good of a hockey player he really can be and it will all just click.

Man, if we're waiting to see Nuge meet his potential by age 27 I hope its on another team. Why the Oil been paying him this much annually for this contract?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Why didnt you bold the as early as next year?
how would that change anything? Drai may never overtake RNH .. The upside is certainly there but how about we let him overtake RNH first before shipping out Nuge.. Same goes with Puljujarvi and Eberle. If the Oilers are trading Nuge they better be adding a solid #3C with #2upside ..
Why compare a 37 game segment to a 30 game segment?
to prove my point that Draisaitl has segments in his short NHL career where he has failed to produce like a top 9 player. Yes I cherry picked the segments :(
This is becoming a Draisaitl thread now? Its hard to tell. Not that I have issue with that, just that its obviously natural for topics, any topic, to deviate somewhat within the realm of what the general topic is.

Everybody does this.

Why is this board so worried about any sidebar discussion..:help::popcorn:

nice try... my comment was in response to "Draisaitl overtakking RNH as soon as next season" comment.. Side conversations are good for a bit and dont generally span for days.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So in your estimation it wouldn't even occur to Nuge that his friend got traded for the player that passed Nuge in value since his draft year? The player picked 4th that year who now has greater worth than Nuge? So much so that the #1 pick (Nuge) couldn't even be considered in trade for the 4th(Larsson now?

The entire time Hall has been in the NHL he's tried to keep up with Sequin. With Hall and Sequin being too fine thoroughbreds. Unlike Nuge still trying to find his way 6yrs in.

If you let stuff like this get to you then you wouldn't last very long as a professional hockey player. Players get surpassed quite often by others who were drafted lower in their draft, thats just the way development works. Being the best player at 17/18 is not even close to a guarantee that you'll be the best in your early or mid 20s. That doesn't make it the players fault, thats just how skill and sport development works and there's plenty of science out there to explain why it happens.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

so Nuge should be keeping up with Adam friggin Larsson because 6 yrs ago they were drafted close to each other? Got it!!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If you let stuff like this get to you then you wouldn't last very long as a professional hockey player. Players get surpassed quite often by others who were drafted lower in their draft, thats just the way development works. Being the best player at 17/18 is not even close to a guarantee that you'll be the best in your early or mid 20s. That doesn't make it the players fault, thats just how skill and sport development works and there's plenty of science out there to explain why it happens.

This reads like the moment in spinal tap when David St. Hubbins describes Nigel as just another member of the band and we'll get over it, we got over Arcobello and all the others and Brule spontaneously combusted.;)

Obviously the extraction of Hall is going to have a significant impact on Eberle, RNH. Even losing Schultz was a shock to them strangely enough. Now Schultz, in comparison, wasn't even a significant member of the team in anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad