Ryan Murray

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Good post.

I agree that not all first round picks are equal and comparable, but neither are all draft classes created equal. Both cuts of the data are worth a look, but both have their flaws.

Agree with that assessment, Yakupov went number one overall that year and he's been a massive disappointment.

And to be fair, you were comparing all the CBJ picks which certainly had merit. Just wanted to offer another perspective.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Agree with that assessment, Yakupov went number one overall that year and he's been a massive disappointment.

And to be fair, you were comparing all the CBJ picks which certainly had merit. Just wanted to offer another perspective.

What a strange draft 2012 was. So many D(isappointments) in the top 10.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Injury prone is more of a term used for a specific injury like multiple ACL tears or shoulder dislocations meaning they are prone to constantly reactivating a injury and causing problems. He seems to get injured in fluke ways right now not really anything prone about it.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Injury prone is more of a term used for a specific injury like multiple ACL tears or shoulder dislocations meaning they are prone to constantly reactivating a injury and causing problems. He seems to get injured in fluke ways right now not really anything prone about it.

I dunno guys in baseball like Griffey Jr and Tulowizki were labeled as injury prone and it wasn't one specific ailment. For Griffey it was the way he played, for Tulo it was more his size (really big guy for SS). But certain guys do get hurt more than others for whatever reason.
Murray I'm not sure is injury prone. He's had 2-3 already. But I could see either side. But definetely think him missing so much time could e hurting his development.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Whatever happens with this injury, and I am sure that team will treatment in a careful manner, I think he is on the trading block in the off-season. That is particularly true if they can work out a reasonable extension with JJ.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
How many times can we chalk it up to bad luck? The guy just isn't "strong"

I understand his shoulder surgery after a hit when he was 19 and his knee scope/difficulties a couple years back. Shoot, I believe I was slightly concerned about those too. But, he played all season last year and a huge portion of this season until the last week where he was only out like 2 games with a lower body injury.. Draws back in, and just so happens to take a hard shot right to his hand as he was trying to turn around to block the shot... That sounds like some bad luck to me.

Sorry, but I don't want to clinically relate him as "not strong" because his hand so happens to break when taking a 80-90 mph solid puck right to his hand. I'm willing to bet there has been other players that have broken their hand when a puck hits them right there.. Plus, this has no clinical significance to his past injuries.

I'm glad to see that Tortorella will get him to work on his skating as soon as he is able to resume skating. Hoping to see him able to draw back in at some point in the playoffs.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Baseball players break get a broken had quite frequently when they are hit on the wrist or hand with a 95 mph fastball.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think we should bring up Forsberg. Or maybe let Bob rest more. I think Karlsson is overrated on these boards.Was Korpikoski a good pickup or was Quincey better?:laugh:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Forsberg? Filip or Peter? :laugh::laugh:

If we had drafted Filip we wouldn't be having this inane conversation about Murray. :laugh:

Although the way Filip started the season he would have been prime whipping boy material.

See how easy that was? We now have added guys on other teams to the discussion.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Quincy > Nuttiivaara
Quincy > Murray (only because of playoff experience)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My recollection is that Murray was good in the playoffs in '14 (but I got nothing to back it up with). He only played five of the six games, and I'm struggling to remember the circumstances (he obviously was injured, duh).

It was a knee injury. He suffered it in Toronto and came back too early in the playoffs. Its also the reason he missed the majority of the next season IIRC.

I think Quincey has been a solid pickup but I'd take Murray over him, however Quincey > Nuti and I am big on Nuti.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad