Ryan Murray

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Murray in peak form is a hell of a d-man. I don't think we've seen that this year. He hasn't been any better than Quincey.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Seems to me he has been in "peak form" for maybe 5 games in the last three years.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I have a hard time assessing Murray since he's been on his off side paired with a rookie most of the year. That being, I don't think he will ever be what he was hoped to be.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Wouldn't it be great to have Murray injected into the lineup come playoffs time with his skating improved and his body completely healthy? :)

Right on, not very many optimistic posters when it comes to Ryan Murray but I love the guys play & he will just keep getting better. Murray doesn't score like Werenski, but he can skate with the puck and can make that tape to tape pass that Torts system requires. Ryan Murray is a Jay Bowmeister kind of player - he won't throw up big numbers but he is a steady guy in the blue line. @23 he hasn't touched what he will be in 3-5 more years.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think Murray is a decent DMan though I don't rate him as high you as some, especially when it comes to carrying the puck.

It's a given we will protect Murray and expose JJ in the expansion draft and there are good reasons for doing so. Yet - and I'm sure I'll get hammered for this - I think our top two pairings of Jones/Zach and Savard/Johnson are more effective line up than any top two pairings you can line up from the pool of Jones/Zach/Savard/Murray.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think Murray is a decent DMan though I don't rate him as high you as some, especially when it comes to carrying the puck.

It's a given we will protect Murray and expose JJ in the expansion draft and there are good reasons for doing so. Yet - and I'm sure I'll get hammered for this - I think our top two pairings of Jones/Zach and Savard/Johnson are more effective line up than any top two pairings you can line up from the pool of Jones/Zach/Savard/Murray.

Werenski - Savard
Murray - Jones

There did it. :laugh:

I'm with you though - I don't think Murray's skating is good right now and it makes him a less effective puck mover. He'll need to get better and I don't see any guarantee he will.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
*****. Unless somebody steps up (not named Jones/Werenski/Johnson) defensively, we're screwed. Our top 4 can't do ALL the lifting. Quincey/Carlsson/Nuutivara can't handle the PK minutes and we can't afford to put Werenski out there.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do you expose him to the expansion draft?

Depends on the trade value.

Depending on whether or not Hartnell waives he might be a candidate to expose now that Carlsson apparently has become a Torts' fave. Also to consider is if the Jackets think (know?) they can re-sign JJ at reasonable term & dollars (3-4 yrs at current or slightly more).

If he can be packaged with picks &/or prospects for a good offensive F then I think that option is very viable considering the points made above.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Murray is gone after this season. Said it before and will say it again. With all the young d prospects we have, Murray is part of the package for the off season trade for an offensive upgrade.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Murray is gone after this season. Said it before and will say it again. With all the young d prospects we have, Murray is part of the package for the off season trade for an offensive upgrade.

Buy low, sell high. Murray's value is much greater when he's healthy.

If he's 100% and playing next season and they have young d-men who can replace him, his value is considerably higher.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Murray is a huge reason we are losing right now. To much offensive aggressive pinching and no one staying at home. Murray was easily or 2nd best true Defiensive D and we dont have that right now. Gavrakov will be able to fill that hole next year but right now I guess Q and Carlsson is our best option. Nuti would get burned all day and I'm not a big fan of harrington. Carlsson has been better then nuti and Harrington in just 5 career games so I have to think they move1 in the offseason. Nuti being a rookie this year and playing average might have some value in a package with Murray for Duchene or Tyler Johnson or Derek Stepan and maybe get a offensive spark. But I feel we have those offensive spark guys in the system as it is.just not at C depending on PLD.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Yet the playoffs are showing that he has more value to this team than what people think he does. He's underestimated around here because he isn't performing like a top pick.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Yet the playoffs are showing that he has more value to this team than what people think he does. He's underestimated around here because he isn't performing like a top pick.

This^

It isn't that he's necessarily better than any of the top 4 in terms of offense or even overall effectiveness, it's that Murray is better at some things and gave us luxury of a) really good 3rd pair in comparison to other teams; b) an option to move him up when needed (e.g. end of games needing shutdown); and c) PK. Werenski has been able to avoid PK and keep some sheltered minutes as a rookie because of Murray. Jones gets a rock solid D pairing either way - Werenski for O, Murray for D when needed. Savard and JJ benefit because they can stay put as 2nd pair (1B pair in some books). I still think JJ re-signing is not the long-term plan, in which case we need Murray for a while. Carlson may be Torts' flavor of the month now (while Murray injured), but imo not over Murray for the next 2/3/4 seasons.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This^

It isn't that he's necessarily better than any of the top 4 in terms of offense or even overall effectiveness, it's that Murray is better at some things and gave us luxury of a) really good 3rd pair in comparison to other teams; b) an option to move him up when needed (e.g. end of games needing shutdown); and c) PK. Werenski has been able to avoid PK and keep some sheltered minutes as a rookie because of Murray. Jones gets a rock solid D pairing either way - Werenski for O, Murray for D when needed. Savard and JJ benefit because they can stay put as 2nd pair (1B pair in some books). I still think JJ re-signing is not the long-term plan, in which case we need Murray for a while. Carlson may be Torts' flavor of the month now (while Murray injured), but imo not over Murray for the next 2/3/4 seasons.

Exactly what I've been saying.

You can't win when you can't trust your 3rd pair to even touch 10 minutes of TOI

Edit: Jackets are the only team in the playoffs that have 2 dmen playing less than 10 minutes TOI

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad