Player Discussion Ryan Mcleod

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So Perlini Shore Sceviour
Benson

Bury Turris
McLeod gets send down to work on his offense and get another long look before xmas

I'd like to run with that, but also claim a #4C off waivers for that #13/14F spot. Decent ones end up on there all the time at the beginning of the season.

Pretty much anyone you grab could bring what McLeod does and allow you to develop McLeod properly.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Have McLeod go down and absolutely force the issue for a recall.

When he is waiver eligable with this inner competition, he should go down. But hr needs a lot of NHL games to find his nisch in NHL though. Scoring goals in AHL doesnt mean anything. At all.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
When he is waiver eligable with this inner competition, he should go down. But hr needs a lot of NHL games to find his nisch in NHL though. Scoring goals in AHL doesnt mean anything. At all.
1 more pro season (so this year) or 129 NHL games, which he probably won't play this year.

I guess, just putting him on the team assuming he'll score is also pointless, especially seeing as he doesn't need waivers.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He's played 10 NHL game people (and just turned 22).

He should probably play a little in the AHL and a bit in the NHL this season. Confidence and more NHL strength is all that he needs. He'll never be an elite top-6 offensive guy. He's more of a Nuge-lite.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I agree he needs to be sent down for a bit and regain some confidence after some rough showings. If he does get called up this year I think he'd be best served on a 4th line winger role which we will likely be rotating throughout the season - he's not ready for center duties at all this year. Keep trying to groom the kid and hopefully you can get him into a solid 3C which I believe is his ceiling and something we desperately will need considering Ryan's age. Looking like to me Turris will be the better 4C to start the year with Shore and Benson/Sceviour/Perlini/Archibald as his wingers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Guy really was pencilled into the lineup before training camp, but doesn't sound like he's done much of anything yet.

Not helping that Turris and Perlini are showing well and Benson requires waivers.

Best he just go to the AHL and get playing time, because at this point he'd probably just be an extra forward at best.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not really, he's just has to find some offense at the NHL level. Right now, I would expect him to go the AHL to start the year.
It's a lot more than just offence, He is very disengaged and non-phsyical - really looks lost out there a lot of times. No one is asking him to put someone through the boards, but he's really tentative in so many parts of the game.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's a lot more than just offence, He is very disengaged and non-phsyical - really looks lost out there a lot of times. No one is asking him to put someone through the boards, but he's really tentative in so many parts of the game.
I haven't seen that as much this preseason, but he does need to go to the AHL and dominate, imo, so he forces the team to call him.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Guy really was pencilled into the lineup before training camp, but doesn't sound like he's done much of anything yet.

Not helping that Turris and Perlini are showing well and Benson requires waivers.

Best he just go to the AHL and get playing time, because at this point he'd probably just be an extra forward at best.
Benson hasn't shown. He should be waived. We need some toughness for that 4th line.

Reactions: CornKicker

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I think that he's looked better than Benson; he just needs some time to gain some more confidence in his shot in the AHL.

I think Shore is a safer choice as his physical play and better finishing ability are much more of a necessity for the team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Looked great on that rush last night where he split the defense. He's no sniper but I think he will be a good bottom 6 forward with his size and talent. I hope he sticks around as the 13th guy up front.

Looks like Benson will be headed to California.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Looked great on that rush last night where he split the defense. He's no sniper but I think he will be a good bottom 6 forward with his size and talent. I hope he sticks around as the 13th guy up front.

Looks like Benson will be headed to California.

He was more assertive last night than the rest of training camp.

Has more tools than Shore for sure.

I think McLeod might be at the point where in order to learn how to play at the NHL level he needs to be at the NHL level.

I wouldn't be upset if the Oilers keep him around but don't necessarily play him all the time like they did with Bouchard last season.

If Mcleod is sent down, I hope they give him big PK minutes and put him in lots of defensive situations.

Reactions: MoontoScott

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If Mcleod is sent down, I hope they give him big PK minutes and put him in lots of defensive situations.

He did last season.

What McLeod needs is PP time... he didn't get much last season. It was mostly Benson, McLeod and the other vets ... Griffith, Malone, Cracknell, etc.

All his offense was at ES.

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He did last season.

What McLeod needs is PP time... he didn't get much last season. It was mostly Benson, McLeod and the other vets ... Griffith, Malone, Cracknell, etc.

All his offseason was at ES.

He's not playing PP in the NHL. Nothing wrong with him getting PP time in the minors, but he's going to make the NHL based on what he gives up rather than what he scores.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They need to send him down. Tell him to work on his grit and aggressiveness offensively and in the corners. Tell him that he doesn't have to be a bruiser but he has to separate the man from the puck even if it's with well timed bumps vs. full on hits. Handing him a full time spot now would be a mistake IMO as it gives him less reason to work on his deficiencies.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
tmp.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad