Player Discussion Ryan Mcleod

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
So far through preseason hasn't been a stand out for me at all.
- Been weak on faceoffs
- not physical at all just gets knocked around
- no offense to speak of other then then some rushed and flubbed chances
Devin Shore has vastly outplayed in my eyes.

I would send him down and let the coaching staff know that if he wants to stick he needs to improve in these areas.
He's young no need to just rush him in just for the sake of it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I agree. He looks passable but unless your a difference maker in some aspect of the game your better off playing big minutes in Bakersfield. Right now he’s soft and non existent with the puck. Not a good recipe.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Needs to grow a pair and start throwing some hits.

Good size, skating, and general defensive positioning which Tippett will like. But man that looping flyby stick checks drive me crazy, he needs to start imposing his will on the forecheck.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Needs to grow a pair and start throwing some hits.

Good size, skating, and general defensive positioning which Tippett will like. But man that looping flyby stick checks drive me crazy, he needs to start imposing his will on the forecheck.
No forcheck at all, crappy board play. Benson has been better Atleast he tries to be physical. He was also getting into some post whistle shenanigans with 6'7 Oleksiak

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There's still potentially a 13th forward spot, and that would be for one of McLeod, Benson or Sceviour.

Also, Tippett said these last preseason games would be used to try out options for the 4th line, which means that the tryout is probably not over. Maybe Turris and Shore out.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Shore is the odds on favourite for 4C as he's got that ability to be at least somewhat physical... and can take faceoffs (not that he's outstanding but he's ok)... and he can PK and he even isn't completely devoid of some offense.

Sceviour is somewhat physical as well... and is solid defensively... more of a winger than a C. I'd definitely have him on the roster even if it's just for a #13/14 F as he's got the experience and has played that defensive role for years.. a useful body on the roster for the playoffs as well.

Turris is supposed to be the best offensive player of that ragtag group... but those days may be behind him. If he at least found some of that offense again somehow... his defensive deficiencies could at least be overlooked somewhat. I think there's a lot of us hoping that might happen this season... but it's exactly that... more hope than anything that's actually expected. Be nice if he was having a Perlini-like camp as well.

Benson is pretty meh at everything so far... now that Marody is gone he's pretty much last place because he isn't even particularly known for his defensive abilities and isn't the best skater and his passing really only helps him when he's in a top 9 spot... which he very likely won't be.

McLeod at least has speed and the "potential" to break out at some point but yes not much physicality or offense so far. Seems to be ok at faceoffs which is a check in the plus column for him.

To me if 1 has to go it's between Turris/Benson/McLeod and I'd probably be leaning to send McLeod back simply because he probably has the biggest upside EVENTUALLY but needs more time to actually work on his offensive/defensive abilities and learn how to create while not overcompensating for defense. I thought maybe the NHL would be good for that in a 4C role... but since he's still able to pass through waivers freely... the AHL is likely the best place this year... at least for a few months to work on that balance in his game.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You guys are saying this now but in a year or two you may be singing a new tune. I wish we can bring back the old JP and Nurse threads

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You guys are saying this now but in a year or two you may be singing a new tune. I wish we can bring back the old JP and Nurse threads
Lol I make out well in those. 100% stood behind Holland's stance to keep JP and have him cool off in Europe. Wanted Nurse signed for 7 AAVx 8 last time. Not to brag or anything.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It would be best to send him down. He has zero offence at the NHL level and who knows if he ever will. There’s no reason to force a rookie onto the NHL roster that is still waiver eligible.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I don't think anyone is saying he's bad or to trade him but let him develop more with opportunity in the AHL.. Has he got so much better that we keep him up because he's too good for the AHL like Bouchard last year

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think he is a solid option for the fourth line.

His Finish is terrible but maybe Puljujarvi could help with that...

I believe he will be a great option to bounce up and down as needed. A blend of top minutes in the AHL and nhl experience.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think he is a solid option for the fourth line.

His Finish is terrible but maybe Puljujarvi could help with that...

I believe he will be a great option to bounce up and down as needed. A blend of top minutes in the AHL and nhl experience.
He may be a solid option for 4C but we have the luxury of letting him develop some more in AHL.

Sign Sceviour and let McLeod dominate in AHL.

Perlini-Shore-Turris
Sceviour and Benson as extra forwards

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I don't care if he never throws a single hit in his career. The thing to measure him on is whether his line does better at 5on5 then a line centered by Shore.

That still remains to be seen.

Reactions: Snipes45

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Saw the same things in him when they called him up last season, and from what I hear, not much has changed. Difference is that last year, we didn't have many options. This year, we do. I'd send him down, as he's going to need more time to work with Woodcroft.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Doesn't have the offense for a top 6 role, doesn't have the physicality for a bottom 6 role. Hard to believe he's 6'2'' 207 because he plays smaller than Yamamoto.

Maybe another year in the AHL will help him figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad