Player Discussion Ryan McLeod getting his chance

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
hard to be visible when your coach staples you to the bench in favor of devin shore

Played 2nd least amount of minutes. Least was Benson. Benson played around 22 seconds more then McLeod. Lets not even get into how many minutes Shore got.

This is why I hate Tippet. Rookies sit in favor for shitty vets.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
Played 2nd least amount of minutes. Least was Benson. Benson played around 22 seconds more then McLeod. Lets not even get into how many minutes Shore got.

This is why I hate Tippet. Rookies sit in favor for shitty vets.
yup...same here, not the biggest analytic nerd or anything but thought this thread was revealling

upload_2022-1-1_16-2-29.png

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The eye test lines up for shores analytics.

shore is not a good hockey player.

In the same mould as archibald, tries hard so it looks like he’s alright, but gets their faces caved in on scoring chances

At least Archibald hits and scores the odd goal when played up the lineup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At least Archibald hits and scores the odd goal when played up the lineup.

Shore scored just yesterday. A beauty with the assist to McLeod. That isn't Shores problem, he can pot the odd goal. The difference between Archibald and Shore is skating and other zones play. Shore makes plays in own zone that have pretty much derailed his career. The guy has a bit of skill. But doesn't think the game all that well. Shore gives up a lot of scoring chances.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Doesn't matter about Archibald. He doesn't play for us now, and may never play again. If he somehow beats this and comes back and plays again up to the standards of before, then great. But there is no use wistfully comparing him to other guys and wishing he was here. We have the cards we were dealt with.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well at least this happened. Ryan Mcleod scored the Oilers only goal in another boot kicking. Gotta feeling Mcleod will be here for a longtime.

McLeod was flying and back to his customary 14mins. Was arguably the best Oilers player.

Heres an interesting thing. In limited usage and GP Mcleod now has more goals than Ryan Nugent Hopkins. while playing ALL his minutes in bottomsix. Something seriously wrong with that folks.

McLeod, with his performance is embarrassing some of our topsix forwards.

its of further interest that 3 of our bottomsix forwards have scored MORE goals than RNH. Which is an indictment since all the rest of our bottomsix is shit.

In otherwords any forward with even a pulse on this club has outscored RNH. Its just a wow statistic.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Well at least this happened. Ryan Mcleod scored the Oilers only goal in another boot kicking. Gotta feeling Mcleod will be here for a longtime.

McLeod was flying and back to his customary 14mins. Was arguably the best Oilers player.

Heres an interesting thing. In limited usage and GP Mcleod now has more goals than Ryan Nugent Hopkins. while playing ALL his minutes in bottomsix. Something seriously wrong with that folks.

its of further interest that 3 of our bottomsix forwards have scored MORE goals than RNH. Which is an indictment since all the rest of our bottomsix is shit.

In otherwords any forward with even a pulse on this club has outscored RNH. Its just a wow statistic.

Benson also had a good game too, I hope this game is his breakout game to become an effective nhler, Mcleod was in a similar boat as a player before his recent callup really.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Benson also had a good game too, I hope this game is his breakout game to become an effective nhler, Mcleod was in a similar boat as a player before his recent callup really.

The speed of Mcleod seems to have the effect of forgiving the lack of skating in Benson. Its weird, but somehow it works at AHL level. Benson made his first good pass of the season tonight. In January. Benson is 24 in 2mths. McLeod is two years younger and somehow taking on a harder position, Center, and succeeding in spades. Benson sure has his work cut out to salvage anything at this point. Soon as players like Holloway and Bourgault are ready Benson won't even be in the mix.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
The speed of Mcleod seems to have the effect of forgiving the lack of skating in Benson. Its weird, but somehow it works at AHL level. Benson made his first good pass of the season tonight. In January. Benson is 24 in 2mths. McLeod is two years younger and somehow taking on a harder position, Center, and succeeding in spades. Benson sure has his work cut out to salvage anything at this point. Soon as players like Holloway and Bourgault are ready Benson won't even be in the mix.

Benson is still a rookie and sometimes it takes time to figure out the NHL speed, I think he has solid Hockey IQ and usually makes good plays with the puck. I think he could be valuable moving forward, we need better internal options and Maybe he can be a solid internal bottom-six forward for us moving forward. I don't have too much high hopes for him but like finding external options never work. Shore/Turris/etc arent solid 4th liners on a contender.

contenders get solid internal options for those spots.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Benson is still a rookie and sometimes it takes time to figure out the NHL speed, I think he has solid Hockey IQ and usually makes good plays with the puck. I think he could be valuable moving forward, we need better internal options and Maybe he can be a solid internal bottom-six forward for us moving forward. I don't have too much high hopes for him but like finding external options never work. Shore/Turris/etc arent solid 4th liners on a contender.

Benson was drafted 6yrs ago and has seen 5 pro camps. Technically, he's a rookie, yes. But he'll be 24 in two months and his drafting team still hasn't even got one goal out of him. In almost any other org he would have been discarded by now.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
To be fair, I think Tippet does Macleod a favoir, giving him thw right amount of workload, taking steps for the right developement. Its not clever to throw out rookies 18 minitues when they have one good game, let thwm grew steady.

Shores playingtime is probably about the games nature. Shores style is what Tippet asked for.

I think Shore is a good bottom 6er, but as a 8-10 min 4th liner.

Reactions: Dijock94

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Benson was drafted 6yrs ago and has seen 5 pro camps. Technically, he's a rookie, yes. But he'll be 24 in two months and his drafting team still hasn't even got one goal out of him. In almost any other org he would have been discarded by now.

Gourde, Coleman all took 6+ seasons to be great nhlers, there's a learning curve to the NHL for the bottom six guys always have been like that. Benson's game today was a step in the right direction. He really hasn't been given a chance either to show what he is either.

Benson needs to grow his game more in the NHL for us to have success in the future.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

We sure could've used RNH on the PP tonight. McLeod keeps looking better and better and his skating is 2nd only to Connor on our team. No need to shit on Nuge just to prop him up. BTW-McLeod doesn't score that goal without your favorite player passing him the puck ;)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Wrong. He missed at least 1 if not 2 camps due to recovering from injury and IIRC also didn't get to see camp because of Covid. He's probably only seen 2-3 camps in actuality.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

If Benson turns into an Evan Rodrigues type player for us, that will be amazing

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Benson and Mcleod are starting to show life, play them with Kassian, I’d like to see a bottom six of.

Benson - Mcleod - Kassian
Foegele - Ryan - Scevior

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Benson and Mcleod are starting to show life, play them with Kassian, I’d like to see a bottom six of.

Benson - Mcleod - Kassian
Foegele - Ryan - Scevior

What no Turris? Tipps would see that as sacrilege.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad