Player Discussion Ryan McLeod getting his chance

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bump.

McLeod with another beauty goal and again one of the best Oilers on the ice tonight. Making several plays. Set up his linemates multiple times tonight. In 2nd period one shift McLeod is first Oiler back for the puck, skates it out from behind his net, like a D, and with his filthy speed goes all the way up ice untouched and to another solid Ozone possession. Also in the period McLeod ragging the puck and then a beauty hook pass to the point for a clear shot attempt. McLeod is executing so many plays at high rate of play. Yet it almost nobody else commenting.

This player is really feeling confident and growing game.

I've commented on it, just not in this thread yet :) I mentioned how he has been much grittier going back to the 2 game set against the Jets. And then said that he has started to look much more comfortable offensively as well. When his linemates start hitting him with give and go passes it will open up a lot more opportunities for him. He is great at passing the puck and then skating into open ice with speed, basically like a wall pass in soccer. The demotion to start the season seems to have really got the lightbulb to go on for McLeod, hopefully he keeps it up and never looks back.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Bump.

McLeod with another beauty goal and again one of the best Oilers on the ice tonight. Making several plays. Set up his linemates multiple times tonight. In 2nd period one shift McLeod is first Oiler back for the puck, skates it out from behind his net, like a D, and with his filthy speed goes all the way up ice untouched and to another solid Ozone possession. Also in the period McLeod ragging the puck and then a beauty hook pass to the point for a clear shot attempt. McLeod is executing so many plays at high rate of play. Yet it almost nobody else commenting.

This player is really feeling confident and growing game.

It's this element that offly reminds me of Nurse offensively/ in a puck possession sense. No one is going to confuse Nurse for a true OFD, but his skating and ability to transport the puck at speed from Point A to B is elite. When you often have McDavid and Draisaitl waiting at Point B, that's an insanely valuable trait.

I don't think it's a surprise that Benson's and Marody's production took off last year when McLeod joined their line. Now his ability to control and skate the puck is freeing up Foegele and Kassian to cycle.

McLeod's bigger, but he reminds me a bit of Todd Marchant from a while back.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The third line has looked solid since McLeod took over the C. Foegele has looked good the last few games as well though, so not sure it's all because of McLeod, but McLeod has certainly been part of the success. Big player, can skate like the wind, has at least moderate puck skills, is responsible enough defensively to not get lit up. Could have a #3 C here once he matures a bit more.

Reactions: Finster8

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The third line has looked solid since McLeod took over the C. Foegele has looked good the last few games as well though, so not sure it's all because of McLeod, but McLeod has certainly been part of the success. Big player, can skate like the wind, has at least moderate puck skills, is responsible enough defensively to not get lit up. Could have a #3 C here once he matures a bit more.

I still think Holloway is a more natural fit long term with Foegele; but between Holloway and McLeod, I'm really liking the look of the bottom six centres going into the 2nd half of this season potentially.

Foegele-Holloway-Kassian
Benson-McLeod-Ryan/Sceviour/Archi

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I still think Holloway is a more natural fit long term with Foegele; but between Holloway and McLeod, I'm really liking the look of the bottom six centres going into the 2nd half of this season potentially.

Foegele-Holloway-Kassian
Benson-McLeod-Ryan/Sceviour/Archi

Why not something like:

Foegele - McLeod - Holloway
Benson - Ryan - Sceviour

Not ideal having two young players on the same line but McLeod could be more or less fully accustomed by the time Holloway is back and ready for a call up

Soft minutes 4th line that is solid enough defensively

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

McLeod is the one most often getting the line into the offensive zone. He's quite good at carrying puck swiftly up ice and getting established there. Its uncanny to me as well that he's so fast back he's beating his own D behind his own net to get the puck. I mean I lol a couple times. The D are like, OK, carry the mail, you seem eager. hehe

McLeod right now is that kind of player that would be driving the zamboni between periods if anybody asked. What a kid. Getting minutes and earning it and the only goal scored in the game, and on another great finish.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Why not something like:

Benson - Ryan - Sceviour

Not ideal having two young players on the same line but McLeod could be more or less fully accustomed by the time Holloway is back and ready for a call up

I forgot Kassian, whoops. I guess have him as 4RW and swap Sceviour and Ryan as the 4C depending what team they’re playing

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why not something like:

Benson - Ryan - Sceviour

Derek Ryan is -11 in his last 11GP. That would be a craptacular 4th line.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Derek Ryan is -11 in his last 11GP. That would be a craptacular 4th line.

So just nuke the guy and never play him again? Seems like a waste. A decent amount of those goals against were on soft GA.

Playing him on the 4th line and rotating him out with Sceviour depending on the team they’re playing against seems like a good way of getting a player that has been good back.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So just nuke the guy and never play him again? Seems like a waste. A decent amount of those goals against were on soft GA.

Playing him on the 4th line and rotating him out with Sceviour depending on the team they’re playing against seems like a good way of getting a player that has been good back.

Ryan is getting owned all over the ice since he got hurt, and concussed. he was bad last season, i was putting that out of my mind. But the contrast between him and McLeod centering the 3rd line is drastic, and with McLeod being a raw rookie, showing far better. Ryan has really dropped foot speed and cover. he used to be flies on rice. Right now his play resembes his picture on Oilers site. Terrified.

f***ing Oilers, at least take his picture in Oilers silks so I don't have to see him in that shit red outfit. ;)

Was hilarious that one year they took team pictures in Calgary. Looked like everybody was crying. I mean I get it..

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Ryan is getting owned all over the ice since he got hurt, and concussed. he was bad last season, i was putting that out of my mind. But the contrast between him and McLeod centering the 3rd line is drastic, and with McLeod being a raw rookie, showing far better. Ryan has really dropped foot speed and cover. he used to be flies on rice. Right now his play resembes his picture on Oilers site. Terrified.

f***ing Oilers, at least take his picture in Oilers silks so I don't have to see him in that shit red outfit. ;)

Was hilarious that one year they took team pictures in Calgary. Looked like everybody was crying. I mean I get it..

I think writing him off would be premature but I’d definitely cut back his minutes drastically. It’s not like the 4th line gets many minutes anyhow. If they’re worried they could try him at wing too but I’d rather he’s at centre.

It’s ridiculous how long the NHL takes to update player photos (and their background on the player page). Hyman still had his Leafs photos, Ceci Penguins, Keith Hawks etc

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Thought I posted earlier but I guess I did not.

McLeod used to be (in his rookie AHL season) allergic to physical contact and a perimeter player. Look at him now.

This is why I never want to rush Bouchard and now Broberg (and also Lavoie and Holloway). It's best to learn down in the minors.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think writing him off would be premature but I’d definitely cut back his minutes drastically. It’s not like the 4th line gets many minutes anyhow. If they’re worried they could try him at wing too but I’d rather he’s at centre.

It’s ridiculous how long the NHL takes to update player photos (and their background on the player page). Hyman still had his Leafs photos, Ceci Penguins, Keith Hawks etc

I'm a Ryan fan so I'm not writing him off but its been sad to me to see this version of Ryan here. frankly he was better in the CIS, better 10yrs ago, better 5yrs ago. Like I've stated its absolute clusterf*** management that the Oilers never spotted this player right in their back yard. Even in Bears vs Rooks games people are saying "sign this kid". The Oilers completely sleep on it then have Ryan in the lineup a dozen years later, completely missing his prime. sigh. I mean how do Carolina spot this guy and we don't?

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I'm a Ryan fan so I'm not writing him off but its been sad to me to see this version of Ryan here. frankly he was better in the CIS, better 10yrs ago, better 5yrs ago. Like I've stated its absolute clusterf*** management that the Oilers never spotted this player right in their back yard. Even in Bears vs Rooks games people are saying "sign this kid". The Oilers completely sleep on it then have Ryan in the lineup a dozen years later, completely missing his prime. sigh. I mean how do Carolina spot this guy and we don't?

Chiarelli should have signed him before he went to the Flames. But maybe he wasn’t “heavy hockey” enough for him :rolleyes:

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Ryan was about to sign in the KHL but the coach in Carolina (Peters I think) had coached Ryan in junior and recommended him to their management. He ended up signing with their AHL team instead of going to the K.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bump. McLeod with another great game. 2 assists, all over it making plays and skating miles. Nobody on the team covers back and forth better than McLeod. This guy is totally unsung, making moves this season. I'll say this, this will be a better player than RNH. I'm prepared to call that already. Far superior skating ability, size, and very comfortable and composed with the puck. Mcleod even looked filthy in the 3 on 3 stint today.

heres another tidbit. Two games in a row now Smith has passed the puck to McLeod right in front of his net trusting the kid the utmost, to carry the mail. This is a 40yr old goalie that has seen thousands of players and he's trusting McLeod as much as anybody to handle the puck.

Ryan McLeod is a player folks. This is going to be great news for this org down the road and we're seeing dividends already.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bump. McLeod with another great game. 2 assists, all over it making plays and skating miles. Nobody on the team covers back and forth better than McLeod. This guy is totally unsung, making moves this season. I'll say this, this will be a better player than RNH. I'm prepared to call that already. Far superior skating ability, size, and very comfortable and composed with the puck. Mcleod even looked filthy in the 3 on 3 stint today.

heres another tidbit. Two games in a row now Smith has passed the puck to McLeod right in front of his net trusting the kid the utmost, to carry the mail. This is a 40yr old goalie that has seen thousands of players and he's trusting McLeod as much as anybody to handle the puck.

Ryan McLeod is a player folks. This is going to be great news for this org down the road and we're seeing dividends already.

He needs consistent linemates and to play at a consistent level. That said, the kid definitely has potential.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
He needs consistent linemates and to play at a consistent level. That said, the kid definitely has potential.

With his skating and passing abilities he's definitely an NHL'er. Easily the most natural talent of the studs we have in the bottom 6.

Its just a question of where he ultimately fits into the lineup. They might want to play him with Mc-D for 10 games and see what happens.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
With his skating and passing abilities he's definitely an NHL'er. Easily the most natural talent of the studs we have in the bottom 6.

Its just a question of where he ultimately fits into the lineup. They might want to play him with Mc-D for 10 games and see what happens.
I think he is capable of driving his own line.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Who would have thought he was the better of the MacLeod bro's.

Great game, praise all over the forum. Two assists.
What makes the eyes pop out; he was playing only 9 min. Talk about doing much of little ice time. Good for once by tippet to slowly handling him more responsibility and ice time, so he learn to take care of his responsibilities.

Now why did they have Lagesson played only 3 min? Another question I just have.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think he is capable of driving his own line.

Quite possible.

He's not a great finisher but he throws beautiful passes (maybe EE candidate for QB).

I'm thinking that Mc-D needs to shoot more so with McLeod setting him up (with speed that almost matches Mc-D) it could work very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad