Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh: Jaw contusion and neck spasm, but NO 2nd concussion

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
It would be hilarious if they went all Syracuse Bulldogs on the Flyers but the reality is McIlrath and Glass. They are more than enough to handle anyone on that garbage team.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
I'm just as upset as anyone and I did not even see the game, but let's be real here, no one on the Rangers is going to do anything about this. Tanner Glass will probably fake fight some nobody and that's it. If Wrath plays maybe he lines someone up, but I sincerely doubt it will be anything consequential.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Disagree. This was all on Simmonds, and Simmonds also happens to be one of their better players. Take out two birds with one McIl<script id="gpt-impl-0.1386384545928379" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_79.js"></script>rath. This isn't a situation where it was a guy like Glass doing something like this, and taking him out would be doing the other team a favor. Simmonds did the action; let Simmonds pay the price.

Agreed--that's what old time hockey is about. Face off against the player who did it. If Simmonds is smart, he'll take the challenge and get it over with.

Go after another player, how soon will it be before we see Zucc or Brassard carried off the ice?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Again disagree. If the Rangers try to take out the entire Flyers team, they aren't just going to whistle and wonder when it will be their turn to get popped. Make a statement by letting Simmonds know there's a price to pay for that crap. If you turn it into a free for all two things will surely happen:

A- We will lose the game because the team is more focused on payback than points (both are important, but you need to find the right moment for the former).

B- We might very well lose another player to injury (Hank, Zucc, Yandle--these are ALL prototypical "Flyer targets").

It happened. It's not acceptable. Let them know it by making an early statement (ie: McI vs. Simmonds) and win the game. If it turns into a clown show, the Rangers have a lot more to lose than they have to gain.

Thank you--couldn't have said it better myself.:clap:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Agreed--that's what old time hockey is about. Face off against the player who did it. If Simmonds is smart, he'll take the challenge and get it over with.

Go after another player, how soon will it be before we see Zucc or Brassard carried off the ice?

I want someone to sucker punch Simmonds to get REAL justice.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I want someone to sucker punch Simmonds to get REAL justice.

Glass off the opening faceoff, skate at Simmonds, drop your gloves and sock him right in the face. Same way Carkner did to Brian Boyle in the playoffs in 2012. Glass gets suspended for what, 5 games? Well worth it.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Glass off the opening faceoff, skate at Simmonds, drop your gloves and sock him right in the face. Same way Carkner did to Brian Boyle in the playoffs in 2012. Glass gets suspended for what, 5 games? Well worth it.

Even better, challenge Simmonds off the face-off--big tough guy shouldn't be afraid to account for his actions the right way. Daren Langdon did that after Beuk was sucker punched. That's the way it used to be done. If Simmonds wants to turtle, well, that would probably keep the Garden awake for the rest of the game.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Drew Stafford accidentally hits Holden in the face with his stick, on a play that Holden got called for a penalty on, and get suspended a game.

The agenda the league has on the Rangers is so ****ing obvious, always.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Drew Stafford accidentally hits Holden in the face with his stick, on a play that Holden got called for a penalty on, and get suspended a game.

The agenda the league has on the Rangers is so ****ing obvious, always.

I don't even think it's an agenda at this point, I just think the league is completely incompetent.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
View attachment 87657

Check that out. Simmonds come in with his knees bent at McDonagh as if to drive through him in an upwards fashion (which is how you're supposed to hit somebody). McDonagh protects himself like this >>> at chest level, where Simmonds head happened to be and that is where he caught him.

Last edited:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
To sign someone like that you'd have to give him an NHL deal for at least the rest of the year. That player would likely want something a bit more substantial than that though--at least another year. I'm not against--we have a few slots and next year there's likely going to be a lot of openings.

I'm pretty sure Yevenko has an NHL two/way contract. There are a lot of guys in the AHL though. Former Ranger draft pick Daniel Maggio for one and I'm pretty sure Maggio is on an AHL deal. Maggio floored Brian McGrattan a few weeks back which pretty much stunned the hockey fight world. Maggio fights a lot--he's got to be near at least 50 just in the last two years. He's got a lot of staying power--like a Langdon or a McSorley. Someone like Simmonds can go for about 20-25 seconds. Maggio would more than easily double that. You can't just stop with a guy like that--he'll keep on going. Another I would think about would be Stu Bickel. He played some NHL last year. He was a good fighter when he played for us. He's a better fighter now.

Take that back on Maggio--last year and this he's at 34. 26 last year though and knocked out McGrattan this year.

You are correct
On 29 June 2015, Yevenko signed a one-year AHL contract with the Lake Erie Monsters, an affiliate of the Columbus Blue Jackets. After receiving an invitation to the Blue Jackets training camp for 2015, Yevenko impressed the club to earn a one-year, two-way NHL contract on 1 October 2015.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Yevenko

Bring in Maggio. Good call

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
To sign someone like that you'd have to give him an NHL deal for at least the rest of the year. That player would likely want something a bit more substantial than that though--at least another year. I'm not against--we have a few slots and next year there's likely going to be a lot of openings.

I'm pretty sure Yevenko has an NHL two/way contract. There are a lot of guys in the AHL though. Former Ranger draft pick Daniel Maggio for one and I'm pretty sure Maggio is on an AHL deal. Maggio floored Brian McGrattan a few weeks back which pretty much stunned the hockey fight world. Maggio fights a lot--he's got to be near at least 50 just in the last two years. He's got a lot of staying power--like a Langdon or a McSorley. Someone like Simmonds can go for about 20-25 seconds. Maggio would more than easily double that. You can't just stop with a guy like that--he'll keep on going. Another I would think about would be Stu Bickel. He played some NHL last year. He was a good fighter when he played for us. He's a better fighter now.

Take that back on Maggio--last year and this he's at 34. 26 last year though and knocked out McGrattan this year.
Likely could pick up Brett Gallant who can throw fists of steel and if he is not enough bring his brother Alex up . Alex handled MAggio a month ago and Brett has coldcocked the Undertaker before...those guy actually like fighting....it is in their blood . Both guys idolized Langdon as kids....both are in the AHL on minor league deals . Brett had a stint with the Isles and 4-5 scraps in same amount of games . They would change the vanilla flavor in a hurry LMAO..Brett would actually likely hurt Simmonds.....he can really fight . http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/119840 Opps....I guess he has a deal with the Blue Jackets....did not know that .

Last edited:

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown

Would love to see that, and then watch all the Flyers fans complain that that was dirty and uncalled for :laugh:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm probably be in the minority here, I'm all for sticking up for team mates, but I don't want the team gooning it up out there. Most of the time that leads to it somehow coming back to bite the team later in the game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Likely could pick up Brett Gallant who can throw fists of steel and if he is not enough bring his brother Alex up . Alex handled MAggio a month ago and Brett has coldcocked the Undertaker before...those guy actually like fighting....it is in their blood . Both guys idolized Langdon as kids....both are in the AHL on minor league deals . Brett had a stint with the Isles and 4-5 scraps in same amount of games . They would change the vanilla flavor in a hurry LMAO..Brett would actually likely hurt Simmonds.....he can really fight . http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/119840 Opps....I guess he has a deal with the Blue Jackets....did not know that .

Brett I think has an NHL deal with Columbus. Alex plays for the Sharks farm team on an AHL deal. Of the two he's be the easiest to get.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If McIlrath isn't playing on the 14th, there should be pickets for firing the entire front office.

Every single poster on the main board that said McDonagh was faking should make a thread apologizing. Sickening that someone like Keith Jones on national TV villified McDonagh for acting.

For someone who has had major concussion issues like Jones, it was just laughable to see that loser call McDonagh out for acting. He's a disgrace, a hypocrite, and a **** human being. Karma is a *****, though.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
View attachment 87657

Check that out. Simmonds come in with his knees bent at McDonagh as if to drive through him in an upwards fashion (which is how you're supposed to hit somebody). McDonagh protects himself like this >>> at chest level, where Simmonds head happened to be and that is where he caught him.

I think McDonagh got his stick up on purpose though it wasn't quite the "cross checking in the head" that people are going on about, but not a terribly good move by him and hell he got penalized for it.

I also think Simmonds was coming in late to try to blow up McDonagh (not sure if it's late enough for a penalty but clearly not part of the play hit) and that go low, swoop into him and try to drive up and through the check to absolutely wreck McDonagh was what was on his mind. McDonagh short circuits that by getting his stick up.

Then you get into a murky area of protecting yourself versus going too far and should McDonagh just let himself get creamed or is it "acceptable" (though not without penalty) to have defended himself that way.

But the ultimate bottom line in my mind is that you don't sucker punch someone even if you're mad at them about that series of events. Flyers even probably have a power play, maybe even 4 minutes, if Simmonds doesn't do that.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Make a fist, and tap yourself with it lightly on your jaw bone... Can you feel how getting touched there rattles your whole skull?

Now imagine getting hit in that same spot with the full force by someone who's entire job is to be able to physically dominate other people.

Not a great feeling.

Key knowledge if you ever get in a fight, though. Aim for the jaw. You'll probably break your hand, but you'll knock the other person out, or daze them enough that the fight is over :)

it also has something to do with the vulnerable position mcdonagh was in. when you don't expect to be punched in the jaw and suddenly are, you're not going to be able to absorb the punch as well, your neck snaps back along with the jaw. If you look at fights that end in one punch it's usually doesn't look dissimilar.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Honestly, in this day and age, I'm not expecting or hoping we try to take revenge on the flyers except in beating them, badly.

I'm much more disappointed with the league than with the toughness level of our team. Players get hurt all the time, plenty of times on cheap shots or borderline plays. It's becoming much less frequent that anybody answers for it on the ice. How many times did Matt Cooke get dropped in a fight? I can think of one, and he still carried on as if it meant nothing to him.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Does Keith Jones have a twitter account? Maybe someone should send him a question asking if he thinks McDonagh is now merely 'acting' concussed.... Let's see if he has the decency to admit he was wrong in his assessment....

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I know most of us were seething yesterday about this but after watching the game against the Devils and looking at our upcoming games this week....we might really need those two points against the Flyers . We are in a dogfight for the playoffs and any unneeded penalties will hurt us considering our PK of late . Retribution might have to be back burnered against the goof until we are up a couple or unless he accepts a challenge from somebody and there is no instigator . At this point I would hate to see the Undertaker do this and break a hand...and that can happen easily enough . I doubt AV will have any new faces in the game outside of our regular roster .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad