Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
atleast this makes things more obvious when all the forwards are healthy

Kreider, Stepan, MSL
Zuc, Brassard, Nash
Hagelin Miller or Hayes, Stempniak
Glass, Moore, Fast or Mueller

I send Duclair down. Call me crazy!

This isn't a conversation anymore. It's Hayes. If it was Miller, Miller would be here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
not sure why boyle was never put on LTIR the 4-6 weeks is easily more than the 10 game minimum and we have negative cap space available so saving the cap space would have helped too

Players on LTIR don't give you any extra cap space, they allow you to exceed the cap limit (it seems like the same thing, but that's actually an important distinction). The Rangers still have more than $2m to exceed the cap limit with Stepan on LTIR, and Boyle will miss his 10th game tomorrow. He's nearly ready to come back. If he had healed just a little bit quicker, he might not have missed 10 games. In the end here, he might miss 12. I somewhat expect to see him back on Saturday.

The Rangers are a team that never utilizes LTIR unless they absolutely have to for Cap purposes or the player is going to be out for significantly more time than the minimum. Boyle didn't trigger either scenario.

UDnyr92

Jan 6, 2011
A lot of reporters posting Malone quotes... these capture the full picture I think...

@PLeonardNYDN
Ryan Malone: "Everything happens for a reason. Not sure what the reason is yet, but it always seems to work out in the end." #NYR
Context of last quote: Malone said Hayes, Duclair great young players. NHL getting younger. Not sure if he clears whether he'll go to AHL.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He's a very bland player. I like him more than Miller, though.

Fast just seems like a responsible Swede. He reminds of Korpikoski. For a while, there was some thought he could be a top-6 winger. More realistically? He's a defensively responsible and smart guy with good speed who can pot a few here and there.

Nothing wrong with that, guys like that in the NHL can have long careers.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Fast just seems like a responsible Swede. He reminds of Korpikoski. For a while, there was some thought he could be a top-6 winger. More realistically? He's a defensively responsible and smart guy with good speed who can pot a few here and there.

I think Fast is definitively a bottom six player for sure. I would like him to develop into something less bland, but he's at least useful as is.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Fast definitely has a role on the 4th line in the future. potential to be a Hagelin-type player. Quick, smart on the puck, smart away from the puck, not a liability in any end of the ice.

He is definitely staying with NYR.

As for Malone going down, it's probably just for cap savings. Here's how capgeek shakes out without Stepan playing, McD on LTIR, and Boyle+Klein still out:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Mats Zuccarello ($3.500m) / Derick Brassard ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($2.475m) / Kevin Hayes ($0.900m) / Anthony Duclair ($0.773m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Chris Mueller ($0.600m) / Lee Stempniak ($0.900m)
Jesper Fast ($0.805m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Matt Hunwick ($0.600m) / Dylan McIlrath ($0.703m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) / Mike Kostka ($0.650m)
John Moore ($0.851m) /
Dan Boyle ($4.500m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
LTIR
Derek Stepan ($3.075m)
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
BONUS OVERAGE
NaN
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15 crunched using simulation date of 2014-11-02)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; BONUSES: $4,508,333
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $5,757,964

Vickers8

Fast definitely has a role on the 4th line in the future. potential to be a Hagelin-type player. Quick, smart on the puck, smart away from the puck, not a liability in any end of the ice.

------

He needs to get stronger, he gets moved off the puck too easily

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Fast is prob a bottom 6 player on a non playoff team

But for us we are trying to win a Cup he's not helping us

He's a warm body fill in for us at best

Malone sounds like he's done no one is claiming him

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Players on LTIR don't give you any extra cap space, they allow you to exceed the cap limit (it seems like the same thing, but that's actually an important distinction). The Rangers still have more than $2m to exceed the cap limit with Stepan on LTIR, and Boyle will miss his 10th game tomorrow. He's nearly ready to come back. If he had healed just a little bit quicker, he might not have missed 10 games. In the end here, he might miss 12. I somewhat expect to see him back on Saturday.

The Rangers are a team that never utilizes LTIR unless they absolutely have to for Cap purposes or the player is going to be out for significantly more time than the minimum. Boyle didn't trigger either scenario.

yes thats true that it doesn't really give you extra cap space at the end of the year...but if both stepan and boyle were on LTIR right now it would give us some flexibility right now to bring in some help on d. there would have been no harm in putting boyle on it

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
McDonagh 3-4 weeks means maybe they aren't putting him on LTIR. Like I said, this is a precaution to make sure they can do what they need to tomorrow in any scenario.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
A lot of reporters posting Malone quotes... these capture the full picture I think...

@PLeonardNYDN

I bet nyr is fine if he wants to terminate the deal but he did sign a 2 way knowing that could happen . Still think he's claimed

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
atleast this makes things more obvious when all the forwards are healthy

Kreider, Stepan, MSL
Zuc, Brassard, Nash
Hagelin Miller or Hayes, Stempniak
Glass, Moore, Fast or Mueller

I send Duclair down. Call me crazy!

I'm going to call u crazy cuz miller is still an option in your mind...

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Fast is only 22 and he is a very good defensive winger. I like him a lot but our wing depth is ridiculous

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I feel a little bad for Malone, he's gotten too much **** for a small mistake.

Hopefully another NHL club picks him up and allows him to continue his career a few more years

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Hayes cant win a faceoff and you think miller won't get s chance ? Call me crazy but I will say I told ya so soon

Hayes does everything else right aside from faceoffs, and he's shown he can do well on those. Miller did..something sometimes. Pre-season, he looked great. Engaged and flying, making smart plays, etc. Granted pre-season is essentially NHL lite. Once regular season started Miller looked confused half the time. Couldn't receive a pass to save his life, forcing plays that weren't there, just didn't look like he was ready yet. I don't think Hayes not being able to take a few faceoffs is going to sway the organization/AV/whoever that Miller belongs in the NHL over Hayes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad