Ryan Johansen II (contract etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
If they all return from TC without any direct contact, then we can truly begin to be concerned about camp, exhibition games, and the start of the season. Even a negative response from either side would be better than nothing!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
From what I can gather, Johansen has been adamant that he wants to be a part of the team and doesn't want to or even plan to miss time.

That said, he is also adamant about getting what he thinks is fair.

So who knows, hopefully they are able to make traction this weekend. I have thought that $5.5 million AAV is fair, so $11 million over 2 years. That said, I think he ends up getting about $9 million over the 2 years. Could be less even than that, though.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
2 years and $9 million is what i think he should get. I am going to say he will get 2 years and $9.8 million ($4.4 and $5.4).

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Once they finally start talking, I think they will get it done. I am thinking 2 years $9.5 million, $4.5 the first year $5 million the second.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's so hard to predict where a contentious negotiation finally settles.

Lars Eller of Montreal had filed for arbitration this off season. He was purportedly seeking roughly $3 million per year for 2 years and the club was offering under $ 2 million per for the same term. Ultimately, he signed for 4 years at $3.5 million. The last two years of the deal were UFA years.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if this negotiation took a similar turn. It's not out of the realm of possibilities. If it does, I'd think a 6 year deal would be the term. No way the Jackets agree to a term which coincides with UFA status.

Should a bridge deal be what is finally agreed upon, then Bob's 2 year $5.625 million AAV would be reasonable benchmark for that deal. Should Jarmo miraculously realize that he's playing a ridiculous game of hardball with his best player and sign Johansen to an appropriate term, then a Skinner $34 million 6 year deal would be a ball park deal.

**non related....the childish cat neutering video has gotten far more annoying than any contract negotiation could ever become......pops up 3 times during this reponse, really?:shakehead**

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
^^If you're taking the view of the Jackets FO in this one, Bob isn't a great comparable. Elite, Vezina-winning goalies are harder to find than good centers (of course, do you see Johansen as merely "good" right now or an elite #1 center?). There simply are more centers out there than goalies.

With the cap space, if it's 2 years and anywhere under $6 million per I'd be fine with it. Sign for 2 years/$11 mill and then go for an 8 year/$65 million deal after you go to two straight ASGs and rack up a couple more 35 goal/70 point seasons.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
For those who will take this with an open mind, I think this discussion pretty much covers all the points of view.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2014/09/podcast-sept-10.html

Sorry if this was already posted, too lazy to look to see.

I listened well into the offer sheet part of the discussion portion. I wasn't aware the Johansen's agent was as aggressive an agent as he is.

The Jackets stance-at least how it's portrayed by Portzine-is pretty demeaning if true. The notion of not "trusting him" and stating that Boone Jenner would be worthy of a big second contract wouldn't endear the Johansen camp to the Jackets. Portzine's insult of Joe Thornton as a floater (or whatever equivalent he used) and subsequent comparison to Johansen was out of line on both counts.

I am not from Columbus and rarely read the Dispatch. Portzine seems to be a management mouthpiece to me. Could be wrong as my sample size of him isn't very big.

It's all negotiating posturing at the end of the day. The Jackets do hold all the cards at this point. If they continue to lowball Johansen, then he may as well sit out until close to December 1. If I were Johansen's rep, I would recommend that strategy. Let the Jackets see where they are without Johansen. The season ticket base has been restored to 2009 levels according to this podcast (10,000-don't know if that's full season equivalents) and the team has established some significant on ice momentum. I'd let Jarmo roll the dice with messing with that if he continued to play hardball with me.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I listened well into the offer sheet part of the discussion portion. I wasn't aware the Johansen's agent was as aggressive an agent as he is.

The Jackets stance-at least how it's portrayed by Portzine-is pretty demeaning if true. The notion of not "trusting him" and stating that Boone Jenner would be worthy of a big second contract wouldn't endear the Johansen camp to the Jackets. Portzine's insult of Joe Thornton as a floater (or whatever equivalent he used) and subsequent comparison to Johansen was out of line on both counts.

I am not from Columbus and rarely read the Dispatch. Portzine seems to be a management mouthpiece to me. Could be wrong as my sample size of him isn't very big.

It's all negotiating posturing at the end of the day. The Jackets do hold all the cards at this point. If they continue to lowball Johansen, then he may as well sit out until close to December 1. If I were Johansen's rep, I would recommend that strategy. Let the Jackets see where they are without Johansen. The season ticket base has been restored to 2009 levels according to this podcast (10,000-don't know if that's full season equivalents) and the team has established some significant on ice momentum. I'd let Jarmo roll the dice with messing with that if he continued to play hardball with me.

Perhaps you should have stuck around longer, CR, I thought they did a very good job of explaining the positions both sides have taken and treating them fairly. For me, it was a very worthwhile discussion, pointing out all of the possible ramifications of holding out, missing camp, overpaying, etc. They concluded by noting that, as we see around here, it's the fans that take it most seriously!

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Horvat
1st 2015
Tanev
Jensen

Ryan Johansen

Look, I love Bo Horvat as much as the next guy... Jared McCann as well. I also love the thought of giving Jarmo another 1st in a very strong year. But I can't get behind trading Johansen for 4 futures, especially considering that Jensen and Tanev are constantly being added to these proposals almost as an afterthought for top end players.

I also don't get the thought. Vancouver seems like it could use all the depth it could get. If I were in their shoes I would be selling hard right now, trying to rebuild while the sedins have value

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Look, I love Bo Horvat as much as the next guy... Jared McCann as well. I also love the thought of giving Jarmo another 1st in a very strong year. But I can't get behind trading Johansen for 4 futures, especially considering that Jensen and Tanev are constantly being added to these proposals almost as an afterthought for top end players.

I also don't get the thought. Vancouver seems like it could use all the depth it could get. If I were in their shoes I would be selling hard right now, trying to rebuild while the sedins have value

Jensen is waiting to be a 25 goal scoring 2nd line winger. His shot is sublime and he can skate really well with some size. Tanev has been a rock. Theyre so tossed around because theyre just the ones to move. Jensen is as expendable as shinkaruk or virtanen and id be prepared for virtanen and horvat in a johansen trade.

The sedins will retire canucks and johansen is a hometown boy to put us as a contender again. The 1st is of no value with johansen takig us to playoffs and horvat not playing an nhl game can change before johansen signs a thing.

Any team is far better with ryan johansen and all the prospects give are more than likely top 6 players.

A lazar or horvat or mantha is the perfect center piece for johansen and johansen gives the sedins their last kick at the can.

Get er done benning.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
why would we trade our #1 centreman?

I realize you are making great offers, but we have played without a #1 centreman for over a decade. Why would we even consider going backwards again?

Sign Johansen and end this nonsense. He should get between 9 & ten for two years, or $36 million for 6 years. Get it done.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Jensen is waiting to be a 25 goal scoring 2nd line winger. His shot is sublime and he can skate really well with some size. Tanev has been a rock. Theyre so tossed around because theyre just the ones to move. Jensen is as expendable as shinkaruk or virtanen and id be prepared for virtanen and horvat in a johansen trade.

The sedins will retire canucks and johansen is a hometown boy to put us as a contender again. The 1st is of no value with johansen takig us to playoffs and horvat not playing an nhl game can change before johansen signs a thing.

Any team is far better with ryan johansen and all the prospects give are more than likely top 6 players.

A lazar or horvat or mantha is the perfect center piece for johansen and johansen gives the sedins their last kick at the can.

Get er done benning.
\ it isn't happening.. especially for those pieces you suggest.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
So, why would Columbus trade Johansen, when they don't have too, if any team is far better with him?

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
So, why would Columbus trade Johansen, when they don't have too, if any team is far better with him?

Well apparently a few millions dollars a year is why any of us are talking.

If another team is ready to give a ransom they believe hes worth and it makes cbj even better in 2-3 years with an already budding core.

I think whatever character and now monetary issues cbj have with johansen would work out best i another nash trade to make cbj deeper than ever.

If u saw jensen play ud have a hard time not jettisoning johansen if he really does care about money this much to not sign.

All in good fun chaps cbj is my 2nd fav team.... cuz of johansen lolll

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

If another team is ready to give a ransom they believe hes worth and it makes cbj even better in 2-3 years with an already budding core.

I think whatever character and now monetary issues cbj have with johansen would work out best i another nash trade to make cbj deeper than ever.

If u saw jensen play ud have a hard time not jettisoning johansen if he really does care about money this much to not sign.

He is an RFA. He isn't going anywhere, unless some team overpays by A LOT to get him.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

A trade with the Canucks involving Johansen won't happen. Take that "proposal", remove Jensen and Tanev, and make it Horvat, 2015 1st, Edler, and Virtanen ... that gets you in the ballpark. And I still don't think Columbus takes it. We're talking about probably the best player the Blue Jackets have ever had, and he's only going to be 22 years old.

Move along, nothing to see here ..

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 5m
Which current player on the #CBJ roster has scored the most goals for the Blue Jackets' franchise? No cheating, you cheating cheaters.

Brad Fox ‏@buxRgr8 4m
@Aportzline Johansen

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 3m
.@buxRgr8 Ding! Ding! Johansen has 47 career goals for #CBJ, already 12th on the all-time franchise list.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Awful. Not even close. Jackets aren't in a complete rebuild and scrubs like Tanev aren't exactly guys you build around.

At least we agree tanev is massively overrated.

i am confused how this guy should be paid 5 mil but in a trade he's worth three 1sts and edler or a roster dman.

how can cbj have so much cap space and not budge on 2 million dollars when thats how you value him.

i see rnh play and absolutely float for the oilers. u want johansen to take less term and less money when he drags his team into the playoffs with no name wingers like atkinson. Btw rnh contract is 6 mil for 7 years.

ohio does not know how to value franchise players and i dont blame them. Carter nash lebron always the same story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad