Ryan Johansen II (contract etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
You both included me in this when I clearly said there's probably more to it that we don't get. You both have just decided that there is.

Here's my take on your overreactions to what you perceive as overreactions:

It's generational. (Yeah MB's old, whatevs.) "Older" folks are happy to talk mock **** to someone's face but don;t act like posting something on the internet is the same thing. "Young" people often do.

Interesting point, DSL, maybe it is generational. I, for one, would never commit to writing some of the things I say to my oldest friends! In any case, some of us are cool with the tweet and some aren't. I'm not telling anyone how to read it, just posted how I saw it. I hope those of you who minimize it's significance are right, I'd prefer not to think the worst of the kid. As I said in an earlier thread, were I his agent, I'd lock him in a cabin in Canada without communication until the contract was signed! But then, I'm older than most here.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm losing respect for how johansen is going about this whole thing. He had one good season, and that's it. I wouldn't openly taunt Jd/ jarmo/ zito in the press, he may find himself in Edmonton . Myself I'm still not convinced he's an elite player, see visions of Steve mason in my head.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
Sweet baby Jesus you all are reading into this matter WAYYYYYY too deeply. It's pretty well known that this club is very close with each other, and this is another example of it where one guy takes a playful jab at his teammate. Nothing to see here, move along.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
Sweet baby Jesus you all are reading into this matter WAYYYYYY too deeply. It's pretty well known that this club is very close with each other, and this is another example of it where one guy takes a playful jab at his teammate. Nothing to see here, move along.

Agreed. The "wink" after his comment shows it was said in jest. It was a joke. Nothing more.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder what team Joey and Reilly are planning to play with in the near future. Both clearly have issues with the CBJ.

some sort of snarky smiley face....

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
All I see is humour and swagger emanating from Johansen. If anything, the tweet should add a million dollar or two to his contract.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
People wonder why people in hockey have "no personality"... well reaction to this is a nice part of the reason. Everything is dissected no matter what it is

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Anyone who has a problem with this has never played team sports. No issues with his comment at all. If you read some of the comments back to Joey on twitter, there is the problem. Fans can be idiots.

This. From high school on up, this is a locker room. Teammates talk smack to each other all the time. Twitter can be a great gift for athletes to connect with their fans, but in times like this where the fans don't understand what's going on and get severe cases of ******** over it, I for one wish we could go back to times where social media didn't exist.

Threads like this make me glad I've stayed away most of the summer.

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
This. From high school on up, this is a locker room. Teammates talk smack to each other all the time. Twitter can be a great gift for athletes to connect with their fans, but in times like this where the fans don't understand what's going on and get severe cases of ******** over it, I for one wish we could go back to times where social media didn't exist.

I agree, especially with the bolded part. It is for this reason that Evander Kane is considered as he is, rather than the great hockey player that he's capable of being. It's a distraction from the game itself ... the players' personal lives should be none of our business.

E-Kane-cash.jpg

I mean honestly, was anyone really offended by this. Really?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I agree, especially with the bolded part. It is for this reason that Evander Kane is considered as he is, rather than the great hockey player that he's capable of being. It's a distraction from the game itself ... the players' personal lives should be none of our business.

E-Kane-cash.jpg

I'm offended he didn't donate at least two of those stacks into my pocket.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

E-Kane-cash.jpg

I have no problem with private lives being none of our business……if the athletes didn't feel the need to Tweet every stupid thing they do.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Johansen's tweet was good old fashioned locker room banter.

He could have said "congrats to our 16 goal scorer...I can't wait to see what 33 goals are worth!"

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

What if he was old, fat and nearly naked, lying on a bed covered in money?

That he, or you, or whomever, can't see that some would consider that a bonehead move...

Johansen's tweet was good old fashioned locker room banter.

He wasn't in the locker room, which is where locked room banter would be if it was indeed "old fashioned."

And please, dear lord, before you reply to that comment by itself, read everything else I've posted in this thread. It's pretty clear that most folks weighing in recently haven't read most of what people are posting.

What happens to a thread when you have more people going over the top in pointing out people are going over the top than you have people going over the top in the first place? Yeah I just typed that.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Finally read the tweet and caught up on this thread. As I and my friends would say "lol, what a ******". His intentions were pretty irrelevant. Glad the kid can play hockey.

Really a certain hygiene product gets the profanity filter?

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I don't see a Twitter War going on between Johan and Duby, so it couldn't have been that bad.

I'm sure that being one of the younger guys in the locker room that RyJo catches his share of **** from the vets, so I'm sure that Tweet was just his little way of giving it back.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't see a Twitter War going on between Johan and Duby, so it couldn't have been that bad.

I'm sure that being one of the younger guys in the locker room that RyJo catches his share of **** from the vets, so I'm sure that Tweet was just his little way of giving it back.

cool, just wanted to add I didn't even consider or care about any of that. Not saying of it was directed at me or not, just clarification. That's all I need is people jumping to his defense and using my post as a catalyst.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
If that tweet was meant as anything besides a joke, I trust #17 will take care of the situation by the end of week 1 training camp, and life will be good again.

Now lets get a deal done boys.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

chirping back and forth between teammates really is just that (between teammates) - it is not to be interpreted from outside the locker room eh?

My take hasn't changed: pay the man his money. We waited too long to find a #1centreman, now that we have one it isn't the time to try and low ball the guy. This guy is going to get really good in the next 5 years. His confidence is only now beginning to show in his play. His last few goals were things of beauty.

Pay the man his money. Rounders

5StringBuzz

May 10, 2007
Columbus, OH
What the heck is wrong with these kids today? Why can't they display the kind of maturity and decorum we've come to expect from our political leaders?

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
chirping back and forth between teammates really is just that (between teammates) - it is not to be interpreted from outside the locker room eh?

My take hasn't changed: pay the man his money. We waited too long to find a #1centreman, now that we have one it isn't the time to try and low ball the guy. This guy is going to get really good in the next 5 years. His confidence is only now beginning to show in his play. His last few goals were things of beauty.

Pay the man his money. Rounders

I think that's the point. While I don't care and haven't "interpreted" anything from his tweet one way or the other, the point remains once you tweet or post anything, it is no longer "within the locker room." Digital responsibility and all. Lol

Can't have it both ways. Reminds me of how people defend wearing offensive slogans on their tees, dress obscenely, or other extremes by saying they are "expressing themselves". Then, if anyone forms an opinion about them, they say it doesn't mean anything. Can't have it both ways. Either you are expressing yourself and people can react...or it doesn't mean anything. Can't have it both ways.

Is my age showing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad