Prospect Info: Ryan Howse suspended for not reporting to camp

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
We have no idea of the specifics of his relationship with the club, you are making a huge assumption.

Really dude?

He was on a three year entry level deal. Mckenzie said Flames terminated, he didn't say it was mutual but he said flames did it because he didn't show up to camp.

There are no assumptions here.

Here I'll give you an example,

If you don't like your job you still have to submit notice o resignation. You can't just ''not show up to work' ' because it is unprofessional. However if you submit your resignation and your employer accepts your notice, then you have a mutual contract termination. I if you don't submit a letter and don't show up you can get fired.

This is what happened to Howse (unless Mckenzie is wrong).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Really dude?

He was on a three year entry level deal. Mckenzie said Flames terminated, he didn't say it was mutual but he said flames did it because he didn't show up to camp.

There are no assumptions here.

Here I'll give you an example,

If you don't like your job you still have to submit notice o resignation. You can't just ''not show up to work' ' because it is unprofessional. However if you submit your resignation and your employer accepts your notice, then you have a mutual contract termination. I if you don't submit a letter and don't show up you can get fired.

This is what happened to Howse (unless Mckenzie is wrong).

You are only looking at it from one view point. Like I said, you don't know what his relationship with the Flames was like, how he was treated, if he had previously tried to mutually terminate his contract ect. You can't condemn him when you have exactly zero knowledge of the details of the situation. ALL we know is that he didn't report to camp and the Flames suspended then terminated his contract.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Lots of people make career decisions and hold that information from their employer until they're ready to make a move. Are you another one calling many people in today's workplace losers? What's the advice we hear all the time - "never quit until you have another job lined up"?

Yes, if there are people doing that, I have no problem with calling them losers. As far as I'm concerned, not showing up to training camp was quitting, and if he was planning on doing that, communicating it to his employer would have been the more professional thing.

The big difference, I think, is that the people in the workplace whom you are referring to don't stop going to work before they leave their job. Quitting without telling your boss is classless no matter who you are.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Yes, if there are people doing that, I have no problem with calling them losers. As far as I'm concerned, not showing up to training camp was quitting, and if he was planning on doing that, communicating it to his employer would have been the more professional thing.

The big difference, I think, is that the people in the workplace whom you are referring to don't stop going to work before they leave their job. Quitting without telling your boss is classless no matter who you are.

This is my sentiment exactly, you just better at wording it :)

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yes, if there are people doing that, I have no problem with calling them losers.

You must be really popular around the office.

I talk to people all the time who make career changing and ending decisions and only tell their employer when the timing is right. Yes, not showing up for work is inappropriate and unprofessional but, as previously been stated by someone upstream, we don't know what was said between Howse and the Flames prior to training camp. Until we know both sides of the story I'm going to avoid calling him childish names, cut the kid some slack and wish him well as he goes on his merry way.

Maybe he'll enjoy hockey again now that he can join a beer league and have some fun.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't know that I'd go as far as to call Howse a loser, but I'm completely indifferent about him no longer being on the Flames, he became Bryan Cameron to me.

I do feel like he didn't care much about being a pro hockey player, so if you wanna call him a loser for that, then that is your opinion to do so.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Lol I don't care if he never even makes the Ahl, I wouldn't want to play against him in a beer league lol, he prob wreck my team without breaking a sweat.

Plus I nevr called him loser :)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You must be really popular around the office.

I talk to people all the time who make career changing and ending decisions and only tell their employer when the timing is right. Yes, not showing up for work is inappropriate and unprofessional but, as previously been stated by someone upstream, we don't know what was said between Howse and the Flames prior to training camp. Until we know both sides of the story I'm going to avoid calling him childish names, cut the kid some slack and wish him well as he goes on his merry way.

Maybe he'll enjoy hockey again now that he can join a beer league and have some fun.

I don't work in an office. I work in a lab. I, along with other colleagues in my group, have been given an opportunity by our supervising professor to make a living (eventually, actually earning a substantial wage) through doing something that we love. I can't imagine one of us simply deciding not to come in to work without gaining complete and utter infamy among not only our group, but the whole university. And I think every one of my peers also holds this opinion.

I am very well-liked.

And again, my premise for my statements was the basis that the Flames were releasing information in a manner in-keeping with the situation. If he tried to declare his resignation earlier and was denied, then fair dues to him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lol I don't care if he never even makes the Ahl, I wouldn't want to play against him in a beer league lol, he prob wreck my team without breaking a sweat.

Plus I nevr called him loser :)
someone else did

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As per the Flames website:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=682841

[SASKATOON, SK -- On Monday evening, Calgary Flames general manager Jay Feaster addressed the termination of Ryan Howse's contract.

The forward, who was drafted by the Flames in the third round of the 2009 NHL Draft, was suspended earlier this month for failing to report to training camp.

"He had gone through Craig Conroy actually and (he) had indicated that he wasn't sure that he wanted to play. Craig talked to him and tried to convince him that his heart should be in it.

"As he said, 'Are you sure you want me to go to Jay? Because if I tell Jay this is what you're thinking, then it's kind of in the stream and kind of out of your control.' And he said, 'Yeah, I don't want to play. My heart's not in it.'"

Howse, who attended the Flames development camp earlier this summer, had hoped he would rekindle the passion he once had for hockey through July and August but that never happened for the 22-year-old.

"We actually sent him a letter and said that based on your conversations, it is an anticipatory repudiation of your contract and that you need to be at this place, at this time for your physical," Feaster said. "You need to come to Calgary. We had actually encouraged him, in any event, to come to Calgary so we could meet.

"We had a flight booked for him. He didn't come to Calgary."

When the team left for Penticton for the Young Stars Classic, they sent him another letter telling him he had five days to report to camp. The deadline was noon on Sept. 9 and he didn't report or communicate with the team.

On the afternoon of Sept. 9, the team placed Howse on unconditional waivers which took effect on Sept. 10. He cleared waivers on Sept. 11 and the team sent notice to Howse, his agent, the NHL and the NHLPA that they were terminating the contract.

On Thursday, Sept. 12, Howse was off of the Flames reserve list.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
So yeah basically, he was asked to "come to work" and he didn't even respect the organization enough to do so. Classless move.

I can understand not wanting to play hockey, but this entire situation could've been done a whole lot better from his side.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, sounds like the Flames did everything they could to try and convince him otherwise but he just didn't care. For those of you who missed the Fan 960 interview, Feaster also said that the coach even went as far as to personally take him grocery shopping to show him the sorts of food he should be getting, how to cook his meals, and even what to order at restaurants but he obviously wasn't getting through to him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What I found interesting in the Feaster interview was when he seemed concerned that Howse doesn't have something he is passionate about doing.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
In the Calgary Herald (Print version) this morning it's written that Howse spoke with Craig Conroy prior to camp informing him that he didn't think he was going to report.

Seeing as Howse spent most of last season with Abby and was probably going to spend time there this season speaking with Conroy (Recently appointed GM at Abby) was the appropriate thing to do. Once this conversation happened and Conroy spoke with his bosses Flames' brass should have known what was going to happen next.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I will say even though Feaster and King have gotten a lot of flack recently from around the league, the Flames really are among the elite in the leauge at how they treat their players. Its no wonder why so many players love playing here and the city.

Howse does not seem like someone who would fit in anyway with our new direction, I don't know him so I won't speak of his character but hopefully he can get his life on track.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I recant my negative statements about Ryan Howse in light of these details. I think it's odd to publicly suspend the guy when he told you he wasn't going to be there, though.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I recant my negative statements about Ryan Howse in light of these details. I think it's odd to publicly suspend the guy when he told you he wasn't going to be there, though.

It is odd, I would guess the Flames were doing everything they could to change his mind, ala Kipper. Waiting until the last moment before they had to suspend/terminate the contract.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
In the Calgary Herald (Print version) this morning it's written that Howse spoke with Craig Conroy prior to camp informing him that he didn't think he was going to report.

Seeing as Howse spent most of last season with Abby and was probably going to spend time there this season speaking with Conroy (Recently appointed GM at Abby) was the appropriate thing to do. Once this conversation happened and Conroy spoke with his bosses Flames' brass should have known what was going to happen next.

What a loser :laugh:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Howse? If so, at least he told them, It happens to people everyday, sometimes they lose the passion they once had before. Why play if it doesn't make you happy? I'm sure he wants to do something else.

Go back a page or 2 and then you will see that I am making fun of people calling him out on not showing up.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think people need to cut Howse some slack. I can say from personal experience that your employer would not think twice about cutting you loose without giving you notice, severance, or dignity if they had the opportunity and felt you needed to go, so it works both ways. In fact, I've sat in meetings where management has tried to figure out ways to circumvent labor laws so that they can fire a guy without warning or severance over insignificant differences or infractions.

Employment Standards require an employer to give 1 week's notice before termination (for under 2 years), yet in order to receive a reference from your employer, you should be giving at least 2 weeks notice. See the double standard? Howse did what anybody would do, and that's look out for number 1, and nobody else will do it for him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think people need to cut Howse some slack. I can say from personal experience that your employer would not think twice about cutting you loose without giving you notice, severance, or dignity if they had the opportunity and felt you needed to go, so it works both ways. In fact, I've sat in meetings where management has tried to figure out ways to circumvent labor laws so that they can fire a guy without warning or severance over insignificant differences or infractions.

Employment Standards require an employer to give 1 week's notice before termination (for under 2 years), yet in order to receive a reference from your employer, you should be giving at least 2 weeks notice. See the double standard? Howse did what anybody would do, and that's look out for number 1, and nobody else will do it for him.

Not only that but he told the Flames he was looking to leave. Its not like it was out of the blue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad