Prospect Info: Ryan Howse suspended for not reporting to camp

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Ryan Howse's contract officially terminated by CGY last week. No longer on CGY reserve list. Player didn't report/no longer wanted to play.

So... He gives up? What a loser.

Yes he is a loser for trying to make a living and realizing he wasn't good enough to make a living in hockey.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Didn't say he was a criminal,when I mean headcase, but not reporting, overweight, suspensions for not. It's usually something wrong with his mentality in being a pro.

He has just moved on from hockey. Players make little to no money in the ECHL he could have just realized he had no future in hockey and needed to grow up and make money. There is no reason to make fun of the kid unless something comes to light about why he left.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Does he not want to play at all, or just not with the Flames?

If it's the former, I'm sympathetic. If it's the later, I'm curious as to why.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
He has just moved on from hockey. Players make little to no money in the ECHL he could have just realized he had no future in hockey and needed to grow up and make money. There is no reason to make fun of the kid unless something comes to light about why he left.

Not reporting, overweight and being out of shape has nothing to do with moving on. Those are signs of not being a professional. It's the same as being late for work, not doing your job and showing up dressed like a slob.

If it was merely just about not wanting to play you can get a mutual contract termination or even not signed a contract. I didn't make fun of him at all, he just didn't act like a professional in his field which certainly justifiable to be called a headcase.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I say good luck to him. Life's too short to bother with stuff. He'd make an excellent Lethargic Sloth however. Hell, he's captain material!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He obviously didn't take hockey seriously enough to be a pro, it's not for him. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, but in no way will the Flames miss him in our system as he had become an after thought. Hopefully he finds something in life to be passionate over.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not reporting, overweight and being out of shape has nothing to do with moving on. Those are signs of not being a professional. It's the same as being late for work, not doing your job and showing up dressed like a slob.

If it was merely just about not wanting to play you can get a mutual contract termination or even not signed a contract. I didn't make fun of him at all, he just didn't act like a professional in his field which certainly justifiable to be called a headcase.

He is over weight or out of shape right now he just doesn't to play

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What a loser

For wanting to move on and do something else? Are you calling many people in today's workplace losers?

If he wants to do something else and make money some other way then wish him well and leave it at that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the fact that he was suspended prior to his contract being terminated, can we not presume that he did not exactly make this known to the Flames during the summer? It sounds more or less like he just ignored them. That is not professional, and if true it does, frankly, make him a loser. The organization did what they could to help him become an NHLer, an opportunity that so few people get, and if he treated them disrespectfully by not declaring his unwillingness to continue, then I think that looks very bad indeed.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the fact that he was suspended prior to his contract being terminated, can we not presume that he did not exactly make this known to the Flames during the summer? It sounds more or less like he just ignored them. That is not professional, and if true it does, frankly, make him a loser. The organization did what they could to help him become an NHLer, an opportunity that so few people get, and if he treated them disrespectfully by not declaring his unwillingness to continue, then I think that looks very bad indeed.

Lots of people make career decisions and hold that information from their employer until they're ready to make a move. Are you another one calling many people in today's workplace losers? What's the advice we hear all the time - "never quit until you have another job lined up"?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
He is over weight or out of shape right now he just doesn't to play

He still acted unprofessional, he was out if shape when he arrived at his FIRST camp, and he didn't report to recent camps. He also signed a contract for those.

Why is your vested interest in arguing with me? Clearly he doesn't want to play so it's not a lack of talent, it's the missing or improper mentality of a pro hockey player... Hence the headcase comment, it's all between his ears.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
He still acted unprofessional, he was out if shape when he arrived at his FIRST camp, and he didn't report to recent camps. He also signed a contract for those.

Why is your vested interest in arguing with me? Clearly he doesn't want to play so it's not a lack of talent, it's the missing or improper mentality of a pro hockey player... Hence the headcase comment, it's all between his ears.

If he feels he isn't talented enough to cut it, then he probably wouldn't want to play anymore.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Because this site seems to think that any former player = crap and talks **** about him. He was 18 and out of shape the next summer spent most of his time in Calgary training with the staff to make sure he was in shape and still didn't get much results from it. We all know he has little to no chance making the NHL and most AHL players don't have an easy life so he left. How about instead of talking **** about the kid we just wish him well and hope he has success some where else.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Because this site seems to think that any former player = crap and talks **** about him. He was 18 and out of shape the next summer spent most of his time in Calgary training with the staff to make sure he was in shape and still didn't get much results from it. We all know he has little to no chance making the NHL and most AHL players don't have an easy life so he left. How about instead of talking **** about the kid we just wish him well and hope he has success some where else.

Well you are targeting me but in what case did I ever say he was a loser or crap or anything? I just said he is a headcase because he has all this talent that we wish we could have but chooses not to make use of it. You can say all you want that it's a choice or whatever but in my culture, if you have a rare talent but don't make use of it, you're basically a headcase.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well you are targeting me but in what case did I ever say he was a loser or crap or anything? I just said he is a headcase because he has all this talent that we wish we could have but chooses not to make use of it. You can say all you want that it's a choice or whatever but in my culture, if you have a rare talent but don't make use of it, you're basically a headcase.

I didn't mean to target you at all I am just saying why do we have to call him names at all. We have no proof of what happened between him and the Flames. He really doesn't have the talent to make the NHL and he knows it. He gave 100% ECHL from everything I have read but I guess you think he should spend the rest of his life making <20K because he was good in junior, yea what a loser for moving on.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't get what you are questioning then, I said it's obvious he doesn't want to play.

I'm questioning you calling him unprofessional/fat/lazy ect.

If he doesn't think he can cut it as a pro, why is he a loser for walking away from hockey? Keep in mind hockey has probably been the biggest part of his life since his teens. Probably is not easy to make the decision to walk away from it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't blame Howse for walking away from hockey, but I kind of agree with Tfong here. Ferland and Howse were two guys in almost indentical situations and went in completely opposite directions.

Howse went on a conditioning stint for a month, met with nutritionists, trained and lost weight, but the results never translated. Ferland this past offseason, made a commitment to hockey and really committed to it, and the difference is night and day. I think the difference between the two is one had serious motivation and commitment to do anything it takes to be a professional hockey player, and the other did not. I've seen players with lesser skill sets make it than Howse, but at that stage it is mental and that is where Howse is lacking.

Regardless, it is obvious he does have the passion and fire to play, so best of luck to him in finding a passion in life.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I'm questioning you calling him unprofessional/fat/lazy ect.

If he doesn't think he can cut it as a pro, why is he a loser for walking away from hockey? Keep in mind hockey has probably been the biggest part of his life since his teens. Probably is not easy to make the decision to walk away from it.

Again I didn't say he or thought he was a loser, it's it's a pretty harsh term and I didn't say anything close to that.

Unprofessional though? Yes for sure. He signed contract and he didn't fulfill a specific part of it that says he has to attend camp.

This wasn't a mutual termination where both parties agree to end the contract. He got FIRED for failing to show up at work(camp). I can't see in any case how this isn't unprofessional. If he doesn't want to play and the club agrees then you can have a mutual termination, like him giving notice if resignation or similar.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Again I didn't say he or thought he was a loser, it's it's a pretty harsh term and I didn't say anything close to that.

Unprofessional though? Yes for sure. He signed contract and he didn't fulfill a specific part of it that says he has to attend camp.

This wasn't a mutual termination where both parties agree to end the contract. He got FIRED for failing to show up at work(camp). I can't see in any case how this isn't unprofessional. If he doesn't want to play and the club agrees then you can have a mutual termination, like him giving notice if resignation or similar.

We have no idea of the specifics of his relationship with the club, you are making a huge assumption.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad