Prospect Info: Ryan Howse suspended for not reporting to camp

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Just saw this on Twitter.

Can't link since I'm on my phone but it was James Mirtle.

www.twitter.com/mirtle
@mirtle: Flames have suspended prospect Ryan Howse for failing to report to training camp: "The club will have no further comment at this time."

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Welp, I'd say that's pretty much the death blow to whatever NHL career that kid might've had.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This was his last chance at making the NHL. What reason would he have to failing to attend camp?

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I'm guessing maybe he'd just had enough of playing hockey. Either that or he had an offer to play in Europe and is trying to break his contract.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Probably realized he wasn't cut out for professional hockey (that's what I hope it is). Better to cut your losses and move on than toil in the ECHL. Best of luck to Ryan.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'm guessing maybe he'd just had enough of playing hockey. Either that or he had an offer to play in Europe and is trying to break his contract.

Or he's going to university somewhere. Can he still use his WHL money if he's played 2 years of pro?

Given his numbers over two seasons in the minors I wouldn't blame him for looking at alternatives.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
His situation just goes to show that talent can only take you so far.. if you don't have the passion for the game or commitment to continually get better then you won't get very far in this sport.

It's a shame because he was one of the best goalscorers in the CHL during his tenure there.

bloggerfanthe*

Been told he wants out.

And before you message me Stewie and give me an infraction for not having a source, I do. It's not the village idiot (TFB)

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
No, I don't believe so. I believe any amount of pro hockey games (Including AHL, ECHL etc.) nullifies the WHL scholarship money.

Thanks for the clarification Caley. Too bad a player couldn't try the pros and access a lesser amount if it doesn't work out.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No loss whatsoever. He would of been lucky to be a regular on the Heat. Someone who doesn't have the passion to put in the work, won't cause me to lose an ounce of sleep. I actually think its a positive, now we have an extra contract spot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Been told he wants out.

And before you message me Stewie and give me an infraction for not having a source, I do. It's not the village idiot (TFB)

I speculate Howse wants out of his contract, I think his agent has convinced him he will get a better chance in either another organization or in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Guess that's that then. He had some talent, but it wasn't working. Freeing up a contract spot is nice though.

benfool

Aug 30, 2013
I wonder if it's because he doesn't want to go back to Abby. It will be interesting to hear the story.

I would think that he thinks he can do better in Europe. TFB Tweeted or retweeted something but I could not understand it. Felt like I was looking at the green screen from the Matrix movies.

If Howse does not want to play here and does not want to put the work in during the year I am glad he is gone. Too many of these young players forget that it is a massive privilege to play Hockey and made a living. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Ryan.

Besides that kid was creepy looking, all ginger haired with those red cheeks, looked like one of those evil circus clown dolls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad