Prospect Info: Ryan Howse suspended for not reporting to camp

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Not only that but he told the Flames he was looking to leave. Its not like it was out of the blue.

Oh really? Then he is a LOSER!!

I would've pissed off without any notice, and perhaps worse, left a little surprise in Feaster's desk drawer :laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So yeah basically, he was asked to "come to work" and he didn't even respect the organization enough to do so. Classless move.

I can understand not wanting to play hockey, but this entire situation could've been done a whole lot better from his side.

Huh? How? He told management he was done what more does he need to do? Send them a ****ing cake?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't feel sorry for Howse at all, playing a pro sport is a privilege. However I don't think any less of him for not wanting to play, he made a choice to end his career.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I think people need to cut Howse some slack. I can say from personal experience that your employer would not think twice about cutting you loose without giving you notice, severance, or dignity if they had the opportunity and felt you needed to go, so it works both ways. In fact, I've sat in meetings where management has tried to figure out ways to circumvent labor laws so that they can fire a guy without warning or severance over insignificant differences or infractions.

Employment Standards require an employer to give 1 week's notice before termination (for under 2 years), yet in order to receive a reference from your employer, you should be giving at least 2 weeks notice. See the double standard? Howse did what anybody would do, and that's look out for number 1, and nobody else will do it for him.

Yes exactly I was thinking this as well. What right does Feaster have to be upset about the time invested in him? We all know the org was going to cut him loose ASAP. He hasn't cut it. Feaster just wanted it to be on his terms.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Might as well post the Calgary Herald article:

Flames cut Howse after receiving no contact from once-promising prospect
Forward indicated before camp that he’d lost his passion for hockey and didn’t report

“Ryan had indicated to us through Craig Conroy a few days before he was scheduled to come in for rookie camp and had indicated he wasn’t sure he wanted to play,” Feaster said in Saskatoon on Monday prior to the Flames’ pre-season clash against the Ottawa Senators. “Craig talked to him and tried to convince him his heart should be in it. (Conroy) said, ‘Are you sure you want me to go to Jay? Because if I tell Jay this is what you’re thinking, it’s in the stream and kind of out of your control.’

“He said, ‘Yeah. I don’t want to play, my heart isn’t in it.’ He went home, thinking he’d get his passion rekindled being around his former teammates and buddies. But he hadn’t.”

. . .

However, Feaster said they still encouraged him to come to Calgary to have a face-to-face meeting.

And, still, no word from the player.

“We had a flight booked for him,” Feaster said. “He didn’t come to Calgary. We went to Penticton and sent him a letter that gave him five days to report. That deadline was noon Monday. He didn’t report. He didn’t communicate.

. . .

Feaster expressed his disappointment on many levels.

“Because of the time we invested in him,” he said. “Last year in Abbotsford, not only Troy Ward but Mike Thompson our strength and conditioning coach. Mike basically not only worked on him in the gym, trying to help him get in shape. But Mike took him to the grocery store and said, ‘Here are the aisles you avoid and here’s where you shop. Here’s how you fix a meal and here’s how you eat healthy.’ Mike took him to restaurants and said, ‘Here is the area of the menu you order from and here’s where you avoid.’ Even talking to Ryan’s agent, he made that comment; that he’s never seen an organization go out of his way with a player the way we did with Ryan.”

. . .

Their efforts aside, Feaster is also disappointed that he doesn’t see a plan in place for Howse’s future.

“When I was in Tampa, I had a player that wanted to go be a carpenter and wanted to build houses,” Feaster said. “That was his passion, it’s what he loved to do. There was a plan. In the conversations that Craig had with Ryan and we had with his agent, I’m not aware of a clear cut plan. So, that’s disappointing.”

There was an option to suspend the player, opting to keep him on Flames’ reserve list with the option of extending a qualifying offer at the season’s end.

But Feaster said this wasn’t the first time he’d expressed “a malaise about continuing to play.”

“Again, doing everything we’ve done the last couple years to reach out to him and try and get him on the right path, it’s time for us to cut bait,” he said.

Link

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Huh? How? He told management he was done what more does he need to do? Send them a ****ing cake?

Read the Damn article where it says he did nothing from his side side to communicate his resignation. He had a chat with Conroy and DISCUSSED of not wanting to play. He never gave any official resignation or talked to Feaster.

Also a point you guys are missing is he RENEGED on a contract he signed with the flames. Do you know howmuch time and cost it is for an organization to train players? Not to mention they were paying him at the same time.

Face it Howse did everything a ********* would do in your workplace. If there is any proof otherwise of him having officially said he was retiring or no longer interested in playing and they went for a mutual contract termination then nobody would be calling him a loser.

Imagine hiring someone at your workplace and he promises you to work three years. So you sign him, give him a signing fee, spend money to train him and he just up and disappears after mentioned to a coworker at the waterhole he doesn't really want to work.

Totally not professional and it shows his character. For you guys arguing for his side, there are degrees of etiquette between an employee and employer and he broke every one of them.

I'm not hating on him because he doesn't want to play hockey, I just don't like how he abandoned his post. You'd think he had the decency to reply to the communications from an organization that spent money training you but nope, he just IGNORED THEM.

The kid is a headcase for sure, no plan, has great talent but throws it away, no etiquette or respect for people treating him well. All that is making me dislike him, not because he doesn't want to play hockey.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This is typical worker behavior in Alberta, where the labour demand is greater than the supply. Guys take off for greener pastures once given their tickets. Or guys put on the song and dance about commitment, settling down, the right opportunity for them, etc etc and yet only the good outfits have a low turn-over rate. I'm not saying Howse is a great person or did everything as respectable possible, but at the end of the day you can take your hand out of a bucket of water and the hole that's left represents how much an organization misses you. Its just business.

Trae

Calgary
3 pages of discussion because I used the word "loser"?

When did this become such a harsh and horrible word? I posted that and haven't checked HF since so I haven't been able to defend it, but I didn't mean what you guys insinuate I did. My meaning behind that was essentially that the situation was "lame" and it was disappointing that a prospect I once thought so highly of and someone with so much skill would quit the game. I wasn't judging his character or calling him a bad person, you guys clearly take the word "loser" much more seriously than I do. My reaction was also based off of a tweet and before that article came out. So I think you guys need to calm down.

My thoughts after the article:
- Situation still could have been handled more professionally, my personal thought is that he loved the game but didnt have the work ethic and passion to pursue it in a career. But there's nothing wrong with that and I'd rather a player admit that early on than try and force it without the love.
- I'm glad we are able to get an additional roster space with his contract gone.
- Hopefully he goes back to school and can find a career that he'll actually have a passion for without leaving any regrets, so i do wish him the best.

Sorry so many of you are offended by the word "loser"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad