RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

You have to remember that HIFK was clearly the best team on a regular season. It's really not that big surprise.
It's not as much about HIFK being great as it is Tappara being stupid. They are the clear underdog not only because of the skill discrepancy, but also because of the difference in hockey sense. They don't pass to open players, and they hold on too pucks too long. Tappara has looked downright sloppy.

StPatrik

Apr 13, 2016
Ok, think about this: Laine has scored 8+3 so far in the FEL playoffs. Only two of those goals were assisted by his center Järvinen, and even those two were from special situations (PP and at the end without goalie). He has not been involved in a single goal 5 on 5 with his own line. His goals are assisted mostly by Kuusela and Plastino. Two of Laine's assists are to a goal by Kuusela and the third was to the winning goal by Jasu last saturday. He gives terrific passes in every other shift, but his linemates can't deliver. Like those TV commentators said: "they wouldn't hit the sea from a pier".

What should be done?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Laine-Lajunen-Kuusela

It would help the whole team.

This and Tapola should consider running only 3 lines like half of the game if all other lines really are so useless. I know it might tire the team in the long run in a series like this but right now there's 1 game in 5 days so he should've done that today and already put these 3 forwards together.

Laine-Lajunen-Kuusela should play 20 minutes each minimum and the 3 other lines play the other 40mins. At this point Tapola and Tappara don't have anything to loose. The series is going to HIFK if he doesn't start making changes.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I hate being that guy, and I probably won't make any friends over this... but I think Laine making it to the Worlds is far from a done deal.

StPatrik

Apr 13, 2016
I hate being that guy, and I probably won't make any friends over this... but I think Laine making it to the Worlds is far from a done deal.

I'm afraid you might be right and that's one of the reasons I hope he would make it to the NT training camp sooner rather than later. The current Tappara system and team performance don't allow him to play to his strengths.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm afraid you might be right and that's one of the reasons I hope he would make it to the NT training camp sooner rather than later. The current Tappara system and team performance don't allow him to play to his strengths.

Biggest issue will be for his spot giving all the NHL players a quaranteed spot no matter what.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Even that may not be enough, since it's actually relatively easy to find nine other wingers KJ may end up favoring over him. (And before this turns into yet another overly long back-and-forth, I'd like to emphasize: KJ, not me.)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I keep hearing he has that Ovi/Hull shot. Is that actually a fair comparison? or is it kinda going over the board?
His wrister is as good as these two at the same age, maybe even better. Slapper isn't close though, his slapper is solid, nothing too special, while these two have some of the top slap shots (especially one timers) of all time.

As a player in general, he minds me a lot more if Kovalev than either Ovie or Hull.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
His wrister is as good as these two at the same age, maybe even better. Slapper isn't close though, his slapper is solid, nothing too special, while these two have some of the top slap shots (especially one timers) of all time.

As a player in general, he minds me a lot more if Kovalev than either Ovie or Hull.

106mph one timer with accuracy is nothing too special?
His slapper is a beauty.

Watching these U-18 games makes me think how much he could dominate OHL/Q and so on, the difference between Liiga and those are night and day, makes me question barely ppg players more.

StPatrik

Apr 13, 2016
Even that may not be enough, since it's actually relatively easy to find nine other wingers KJ may end up favoring over him. (And before this turns into yet another overly long back-and-forth, I'd like to emphasize: KJ, not me.)

Yes, and this is why he should get his chance before more people are coming from the NHL. If he doesn't get a chance to show his worth he probably will be out (and might be even if he gets a try). I don't know if it would be the winning strategy, but if I was the coach I would rather take my chances with Laine (big risk, big potential gain) than go for a "safe" pick (low risk, unlikely to get anything special). But, as we know, risk taking isn't really the mindset with most coaches.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I think I might want laine more for the leafs. Him and Nylander would be a heck of a combo. I think it'd work great for the team.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm not overly worried about Laine's ticket to WC. KJ is watching the same games as we are and should be able to indentify the problems in Tappara which are not Laine related. One or two guys do not have that much overall impact to the game when playing against superior team that has the depth spread out in the top 9 and solid defense. Laine will snatch a few more goals in the series and it will probably not be enough to win the trophy but enough to show he is ready for the bigger stage. The earlier comments made by Jalonen are positive in terms of Laine's appearance. Tappara overcame Kärpät but IFK is a whole new ball game. Aho makes the team while never making it to the finals and Laine follows him due to leading his mediocore group into the last round.

Laine's game has been stellar regardless of Tappara being eaten alive. A few more goals should be enough and I think he will score more. Nothing has been set in stone but I doubt he would be left out. Should he be, I wonder if I'd even bother watching the Championships.

If they fail to win on the home ice on Friday, Tappara might have to re-consider dropping all the pieces into one casket.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Laine's game has been stellar regardless of Tappara being eaten alive. A few more goals should be enough and I think he will score more. Nothing has been set in stone but I doubt he would be left out. Should he be, I wonder if I'd even bother watching the Championships.
I dunno. Like I said, the math's not even awfully hard.

Starting from camp potentials: Komarov, Hartikainen, Jormakka, Aho. Then add three from various euro league playoffs: Lehkonen, Kuusela, Osala. That's seven.

To get to nine, all that's needed are two more from overseas. And Jalonen has alluded that at least one more is coming. Current potentials include Rantanen, Pakarinen and Ruutu. Also, Detroit is now down 3-1 so Pulkkinen being available is quite close to given. Finally, I guess we can't yet count out J.Jokinen either. That's five potentials. All it needs is 2/5 on top of those aforementioned seven and it's starting to get awfully stuffy for Laine to fit in. And I didn't even count those who are predominantly centres but can be moved to wings if there's suddenly an excess of them (TT, MiG, Haula)...

Of course, he's not exactly behind all of the names mentioned, but it's hard to blame the coach if he ends up favoring enough of them over Laine.

E: And it was just announced that Rantanen will come. So yeah, that's another name taking preference.

Last edited:

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

Starting from camp potentials: Komarov, Hartikainen, Jormakka, Aho. Then add three from various euro league playoffs: Lehkonen, Kuusela, Osala. That's seven.

To get to nine, all that's needed are two more from overseas. And Jalonen has alluded that at least one more is coming. Current potentials include Rantanen, Pakarinen and Ruutu. Also, Detroit is now down 3-1 so Pulkkinen being available is quite close to given. Finally, I guess we can't yet count out J.Jokinen either. That's five potentials. All it needs is 2/5 on top of those aforementioned seven and it's starting to get awfully stuffy for Laine to fit in. And I didn't even count those who are predominantly centres but can be moved to wings if there's suddenly an excess of them (TT, MiG, Haula)...

Of course, he's not exactly behind all of the names mentioned, but it's hard to blame the coach if he ends up favoring enough of them over Laine.

E: And it was just announced that Rantanen will come. So yeah, that's another name taking preference.

Nevertheless it still would be a major shock if Laine wouldn't be included.

And mostly likely it won't happen.

E: Basicly everyone besides Komarov will be dropped before Laine

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Nevertheless it still would be a major shock if Laine wouldn't be included.
Yeah, no. I just told ya all why it wouldn't be. Though, of course, something being a shock to someone is a highly subjective matter. So let's just say that to me, it would not be a shock at all.

And while we all want to see Laine make it, let's not go into outlandish lengths and claim he's actually the second most certain behind Komarov. At least Rantanen and Aho are ahead of him for top-six roles as well.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Komarov is in the team no questions asked (can play any role). Jormakka, Hartikainen and Osala are far from guaranteed slot. From the remaining Aho, Kuusela and Lehkonen all have very good track records from the season. They'd all deseve the ticket.

NHL is the wildcard, cannot say which ones will be available but f.ex. Pulkkinen has played games there and then with limited ice time. He's not getting in the plane unless by some miracle. Doubt Rantanen holds the edge vs Laine either at this point. Naturally they want to check him out so the camp invite wasn't a suprise. Ruutu had 1 point in 33 games. :laugh:

All in all, depends which teams drop out and which remain. If the Wild lose as it would seem, that would be a bit troublesome but other than that I wouldn't worry much. And no matter what, the team is lacking high end goal scorer pretty much every single year. You could make an argument for Laine being one even if he's only 18 years old. Leading playoffs in goals is no small thing, while naturally the WC stage is a whole another playground. Also it would seem Jalonen already has taken a liking with the guy so I would say the odds are more in the favor rather than against. He might even want to avoid the headlines and in general pissed off nation if the golden boy is left out. No need to worry at this point unless something dramatic happens in Laine's current game form.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I think I might want laine more for the leafs. Him and Nylander would be a heck of a combo. I think it'd work great for the team.

I think I might be in the same boat. Matthews-Marner has the potential to be something really special, but so does Nylander and Laine. I'm at the point where as long as we pick too 2 I don't care who we take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad