RW Owen Tippett (2017, 10th, FLA)

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I scouted the Steelheads/Generals game tonight, and Tippett absolutely stood out to me.

As a high pick in the OHL Entry Draft, Tippett was one of the best players on the ice. He has great wheels and an incredible work ethic.

This is to say nothing of his offensive talent, including absolutely undressing Jalen Smereck for a highlight reel goal. At 6'1" and 186, he's got decent size at this point and may even keep growing.

This kid has to be a top 20 pick in 2017. Very, very impressive.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Our top ranked player for the OHL Draft last season and the other 2017 NHL Draft prospect I spoke about on radio last week.

LINK

It seems we have great taste in scouting.

I'll be heading to Erie to scout their game against the Knights on Saturday, as well as Sarnia to check out their game against the Spitfires on Sunday.

Will be posting my findings. Would love to exchange viewpoints.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Was ranked 17th in DraftBuzz Hockey's November early 2017 NHL Draft ranking, and is pushing top ten for the post season update.

It's exciting to think of what Tippett could become over the next year, with NHL grade speed and goal scoring that will only get better.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
I've had the chance to watch him play a couple times, and he's been absolutely amazing for the Steelheads. His stats aren't overly impressive, but his playmaking abilities are just so smooth. Think he's destined to go somewhere early in the first round.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
He reminds me of a like a young Kessel the way he skates and shoots the puck.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Tippett's been impressive this year, although he's had injury problems. He was also great at U17 - I thought he was the best forward there.

I think he'll have a big draft season next year.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
His shot and hands are unreal, the performance he put on at the U17s was probably huge for the scouts. His production will rocket next year and I think he'll be a top 10 pick for sure, he has NHL superstar hands and shot.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Very impressive, he's had some bad bounces with injuries but is a lethal goal scorer when healthy.

Excited to see how he develops leading into next years draft.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Great shot, great speed, aggressive on the forechech, not afraid to go to the dirty areas. I came away impressed when watching him and was shocked to see he was a first year player. He obviously went 4th overall in the priority selection for a reason.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Bad news for Steelheads is - hopefully - good news for U18.

This past season was probably a bit trying for Owen re playing time and injuries, but I was just so impressed with him.

imo he was the best Cdn at U17 this year...I'd also say best player at the tourney, but maybe i'm being a homer.

Hopefully he makes Canada's IIHF U18 team.

He's a fantastic skater, with an elite shot, and he's really smart on top of that. I think he's going to have a fantastic draft year :nod:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
By this time next year, will he be considered a McLeod/Nylander class of prospect?

I can't see why not. Skating and shot are top notch. Just didn't get enough playing time this season to really excel.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The consensus seem to have Tippett ranked 4th just behind the trio of Patrick-Liljegren-Vilardi at the moment. Sounds good to me, although I might like Comtois just a smidge better right now. I can easily see Tippett having an explosive season this year though. I see some Taylor Hall in his game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
After falling to start the year due to a subpar Hlinka and slower start to the year. I wonder if he is starting to rise up again. He has a goal in 5 straight games (only 10 minutes in to the first of the 5th game) and has two goals in 3 of those games. I love the kids speed, size and shot combo. I wonder about his IQ at times. Right now though, I still think he's the 2nd best NHL draft prospect in the OHL.

Edit: Has scored again, making it 4 2 goals games in his last 5 and also added an assist. Starting to break out. Obviously helped by the return of Bastian and M. McLeod, but he probably has the highest upside on this team outside of possibly Hague.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
After falling to start the year due to a subpar Hlinka and slower start to the year. I wonder if he is starting to rise up again. He has a goal in 5 straight games (only 10 minutes in to the first of the 5th game) and has two goals in 3 of those games. I love the kids speed, size and shot combo. I wonder about his IQ at times. Right now though, I still think he's the 2nd best NHL draft prospect in the OHL.

Edit: Has scored again, making it 4 2 goals games in his last 5 and also added an assist. Starting to break out. Obviously helped by the return of Bastian and M. McLeod, but he probably has the highest upside on this team outside of possibly Hague.

His ES production has also kicked up, which is a good sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad