RW Joshua Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2014, 28th overall, NY Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
And now, the terrifying tales of Joshua Ho-Sang!

- He called his mother a terrible parent on live television!
- No other team wanted him so the Islanders could have waited til the 7th round!
- He's not showing up for camp at the Coliseum because he feels it beneath him!

What will this troublemaker do next? Tune in to hfboards to find out! :sarcasm:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not a guy I would have traded up for. If you wanted him that bad I think you could have kept your original pick in Round 2.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Never heard of this kid. Love his attitude- in that regard- reminds me a lot of Denis Potvin's belief in himself when he was drafted- and that guy didn't turn out so bad for the Isles ;). I love his response to all the criticism. I love his enthusiasm and confidence. It's exactly what this team needs. When I was a 15 and watched the Isles win their last Cup and all of the great Islanders had the same kind of swagger that this kid has. They knew they were the best that ever skated and they let everyone know that. This attitude has been missing for decades. I accept what this kid believes in- so long as he always plays for his teammates he will do fantastic.

Watching a video of this kid today I believe, this kid is going to be a MASSIVE steal for the Islanders. While I see the comparisons in attitudes to Kirill Kabanov, Josh is miles ahead of KK in talent. Some say his skill level in on par with McDavid, just "more electrifying" whilst playing with lesser line mates. How can any team in their right mind pass up on this kid especially in the latter part of the first round?

Garth did good- real good! Welcome to the Island Josh Ho-sang! Work hard, be a team player and make these detractors pay!!!

Here's the article on Denis Potvin- see any similarities in their attitudes? Attitudes don't necessarily make or break a prospect. Besides, who's to say they are wrong?

Earl McRae for Southam News. CanWest News. Don Mills, Ont.: Sep 29, 1987.

"It's difficult sometimes psyching myself up for a game. I'm not boasting but, really, there's no real challenge anymore. I know I can do pretty well what I want to do out there. I know I skate faster than most of the forwards and I can go through whole teams pretty well when I want."

Denis Potvin announced his retirement the other day. He said this would be his last season. But the words above were not spoken then. They were spoken on a blustery February afternoon in 1973 when he was a defenceman with the Ottawa 67's, the most heralded junior in Canada. There was no one saying he wouldn't be picked first in the NHL draft that year - including Denis Potvin.

His self-confidence matched his talent and his talent revealed itself, not only in his unsurpassable puck skills, but his ability and joyful willingness to throw his body - and his fists when necessary - at opponents with devastating effect. He had a reputation as a player you steered clear of unless you were bored with living.

Those who tracked his ascendancy still talk of his walloping checks that deposited players over the boards, in some cases sending them to hospital. In one notable incident, his fists ended a promising career. The fistic element was not as prominent in the NHL; his reputation was well-entrenched.

"Denis," said former Islander Bob Nystrom, "is the strongest, toughest guy in the league. No one loves to hit more. Denis doesn't pick fights; and he doesn't fight much because no one dares take him on."

Potvin put it this way that wintry afternoon 14 years ago: "I played fullback for Rideau High School and, man, I loved going through the line, right through the middle, wham, hitting anybody who got in the way. You wouldn't believe how one good hit can demoralize the opposition and uplift your team."

That fall, he went to the NHL with two strikes against him he couldn't control: his honesty and Bobby Orr. His honesty manifested itself in his overwhelming, sometimes preening, self-confidence. He was good, he knew it, and he told you so. But Canadians prefer their stars to be gee-whiz humble. Anything more isn't truth, it's insufferable arrogance.

Orr's flamboyant greatness served to deny Denis Potvin, for much of his career, his place at the top. But as a pure defenceman, there was no comparison: Potvin was the NHL's best. Now, entering his 15th and final season, he can look back on three Norris Trophies and seven all-star selections.

His offensive talent was awesome too: 291 goals, 710 assists and 1,001 regular season points, NHL records for a defenceman.

Despite his gifts, Potvin was disliked by most of his teammates for a long time. It was their problem, not his. He was an anomaly, an articulate hockey player with high intelligence who preferred good books to comic books, ballet to the bar scene, privacy to hanging out, honest appraisal to deceitful platitudes.

His misfortune was to be hockey's Gary Carter: too nice, too honest.

Never was he so vilified - before or since - than for remarks in 1976 when, for his Canada Cup diary in The Canadian magazine, he attacked the habitual selection of Orr as player-of-the-game instead of himself.

"I like Bobby," he wrote. "He's a great hockey player and a fine person, but I don't think he was deserving of the award twice and certainly not three times. . . . I think it's political and unjust. Is Bobby Orr only going to have to play to be known as the best defenceman - or is he going to have to prove it?"

He was right, of course. Orr didn't deserve the excessive honors. He got them through sentiment. He was playing wounded and it was his last hurrah.

Not once, when hell broke loose soon after, did Potvin do what so many athletes have done and continue to do in similar situations: lie. He didn't scream "misquote" or "set up" or that his words were "taken out of context."

"You said that about Bobby Orr?" asked Dave Hodge on Hockey Night In Canada .

"Yes, I did," said Denis Potvin.

Now, he too is entering the twilight of his glory. In the end, it shall be shown that prideful honesty prevailed and it didn't deny him the ultimate truth: the NHL Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
Never heard of this kid. Love his attitude- in that regard- reminds me a lot of Denis Potvin's belief in himself when he was drafted- and that guy didn't turn out so bad for the Isles ;). I love his response to all the criticism. I love his enthusiasm and confidence. It's exactly what this team needs. When I was a 15 and watched the Isles win their last Cup and all of the great Islanders had the same kind of swagger that this kid has. They knew they were the best that ever skated and they let everyone know that. This attitude has been missing for decades. I accept what this kid believes in- so long as he always plays for his teammates he will do fantastic.

Watching a video of this kid today I believe, this kid is going to be a MASSIVE steal for the Islanders. While I see the comparisons in attitudes to Kirill Kabanov, Josh is miles ahead of KK in talent. Some say his skill level in on par with McDavid, just "more electrifying" whilst playing with lesser line mates. How can any team in their right mind pass up on this kid especially in the latter part of the first round?

Garth did good- real good! Welcome to the Island Josh Ho-sang! Work hard, be a team player and make these detractors pay!!!

The biggest knock they say is that Ho Sang isn't a complete player. Another islander forward who was drafted with this stigma attached to him was Mike Bossy. Lets hope history repeats itself.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Am I the only one seeing Ho-Sang + Snow = trouble?

If Snow got rid of Niederreiter who wasn't that much of a terror, what are the chances this kid will last with the NYI?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
What has been of his downside, it was probably expected to go to a team that has two first-rounders?

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I just really like the way the kid drives to the net and fights through the defensemen. With all that skill that's what I think a scout should look for- especially with someone who lacks size. Shremp, Kabanov, Bailey- I think that's what these guys were missing. The kid, like Strome, appears fearless. I'm wagering he going to make it big in the NHL.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As an Islanders fan I hope he wears 66 in the NHL just to troll the Penguins

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The kid would love all this attention. Again, it is up to him now. He will get signed and first round money. Time for him to prove he deserves the attention.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Niederrieter thought he should be in the NHL, and the team didn't think so that year so he cried, two totally different situations.

Of course that's different. But what I am talking about is two young men with strong opinions. The first, apparently much tamer, got booted without questions.
If this one starts with this attitude, I get the feeling someone like Snow would put him on an ejectable seat real quick.

I am talking about attitude that can get a player to become persona non grata. This Ho-Sang seems very much at risk, seeing his (verbal, for the moment) attitude.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I can't wait until the hate of this kid swells to unimaginable heights on HFboards. Then, and only then will we know he has arrived! :sarcasm:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Of course that's different. But what I am talking about is two young men with strong opinions. The first, apparently much tamer, got booted without questions.
If this one starts with this attitude, I get the feeling someone like Snow would put him on an ejectable seat real quick.

I am talking about attitude that can get a player to become persona non grata. This Ho-Sang seems very much at risk, seeing his (verbal, for the moment) attitude.

It would be kind of silly for Snow to draft someone with a strong opinion of himself- only to turn around and "eject" them. This was not the situation with Nino. The Isles had a strong opinion of him only for him to crap in his pants. Granted, he could have used more time on more offensive-minded lines, but apparently the coach didn't want to pressure the kid. When it was decided after an abysmal year that he needed more development in the minors, his time in the NHL got to the kid's head and he cried like a baby when he was left off the roster the following year.

A more appropriate comparison would be with Kirill Kabanov, who suffered from similar attacks from media. I think in that regards he has been a success story with the Isles and the Islander organization appreciates him for his effort. Unfortunately he has not shown the skill development required to make it in the NHL at this point in his career. That being said, he's still in the Islander's prospect pool and I'm sure the organization would love to see this kid succeed in the NHL. He's done everything asked of him to address the former media concerns. Just as the Islanders succeeded in working with Kabanov's strong opinions, so shall they have no problems working with Ho-Sang. Unlike Kabanov however, Ho-Sang skill level is being compared to those of generational talents by the media.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Look at this nonsense from Philly's GM Ron Hextall on Ho-Sang and why he was on their do not draft list:

"Kids make mistakes, so you can’t take one mistake a kid made and brand him a bad kid,” Hextall said. “On the other hand, if someone’s got a pattern over and over and over and over, you have to take a longer look at it and try to sift through because … when you look at the character of a player, it’s got a lot to do with whether he turns out to be an NHL player. 'There are a lot of players in the American League that don’t make the NHL because of their character."

This is coming from a guy who has never won a Cup in his life. So, all of a sudden he is an "expert" on character??? Does this baffoon understand the word, "character"? If anything he was often quite the "character" during his playing days, but no Cup to show for it.

Like I mentioned above, there are eerie similarities to attitude shared by Ho-Sang and the Islander's own Denis Potvin. Both thought highly of themselves. Both preferred fine arts and good books. Both were vilified by the media. Both were notoriously late for practice or in Denis Potvin's case an actual game. (Islander fans will remember how Al Arbour punished Denis Potvin for missing the team bus, he never did that again.) Both were not necessarily loved by their teammates. Both were brutally honest and straight talking.

But if confidence in himself and his abilities was the character "flaw" that made Denis Potvin a 4 time Stanley Cup winning captain of one of the greatest hockey dynasties, then I'd say Josh Ho-Sang is in good company. Ask any scout today if they would pass on a Denis Potvin because of his outspokenness and we all know what the answer would be. Ho-Sang is a little "old school" in the way he approaches the media and markets himself. A mini Ali some would say- I love it!

All those teams that crapped on this 17 year old for his confidence are utter fools, and he is going to make them PAY!!!

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
If he succeeds it will be because he's confident and cocky. If he fails then it's because he's an arrogant headcase.

The actual difference maker though? His game.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
As an Islanders fan I hope he wears 66 in the NHL just to troll the Penguins

I hope he wears 66 just to put to bed the silliness that 66 is somehow hallowed ground. Mario Lemieux was a tremendous hockey player but he wasn't the best to ever play. The Penguins retired that number out as they should have. League doesn't and shouldn't have to officially or unofficially.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I hope he wears 66 just to put to bed the silliness that 66 is somehow hallowed ground. Mario Lemieux was a tremendous hockey player but he wasn't the best to ever play. The Penguins retired that number out as they should have. League doesn't and shouldn't have to officially or unofficially.

Yeah, I also think Ho-Sang in his rookie year should erect a statue memorial of him blowing by 2 Penguins defensemen in a meaningless hockey game. For what reason? I have no idea... you'd have to ask Mario. I bet you if Ho-Sang wears him number, Mario will whine once more and threaten to leave the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad