RW Jesse Ylonen - Laval Rocket, AHL (2018, 35th, MTL)

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Interesting as hell...why? to let players know the scoring leader is on the ice?
That's exactly what it is- though it's per team not league I believe. Lehkonen wore one for big chucks of his last year as well

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Its a sponsor thing. Players dont like it.
Come on. It was never anything for the players anyway. It was originally made for fans being able to very easily recognise the top offensive players. The sponsors got involved with it only later on. I like the golden helmet (for teams leading points scorer) and the blue helmet (for the best U20 scorer in the team), as they make following the game a bit easier and more interesting when you can recognise the top offensive players very easily.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
Hopefully Ylonen can play well and gain some confidence. He needs it after a rough start to his season, although he has played slightly better in the last few games.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I've been wondering about this guy - he seems to pretty much fly under the radar, but whenever I observe him he plays excellent hockey...

Reactions: JohnLennon

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He is a bit of a perimeter player. He needs to get stronger and get closer to the net, I think it would help him a lot with his game.

Reactions: Keke

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
He is a bit of a perimeter player. He needs to get stronger and get closer to the net, I think it would help him a lot with his game.

Agreed. Though he has very intriguing tools. Excited to see how he develops.

OT. 2001 WHC is the first Championships I remember and Juha was a beast there

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I don't think his problem is that he is a perimeter player. He seems to be a quick and hard working player who does play in the trenches. I think the problem is that he just isn't a very skilled player. He is 19 and has 13 points 31 games this season. I'd be shocked if he becomes anything more than a low-scoring bottom 6 player in the NHL, and even that seems like a bit of a stretch currently.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I don't think his problem is that he is a perimeter player. He seems to be a quick and hard working player who does play in the trenches. I think the problem is that he just isn't a very skilled player. He is 19 and has 13 points 31 games this season. I'd be shocked if he becomes anything more than a low-scoring bottom 6 player in the NHL, and even that seems like a bit of a stretch currently.

Ylönen is one of the best skaters in any given game and he scored some good and important goals at the WJC. He will be fine. With him it's more who he plays with as he doesn't seem to be a player who drives the play.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

That production from a 19 year old in Liiga playing 14 minutes a game isn't bad at all though. It's not indicative of a future star, but it's not bad by any means. Habs fans can always hope that his 7 points in his last 8 Liiga games is him figuring the league out rather than just a hot stretch.

He is a very skilled player, too. He has good hands, shot, and passing, and he can make skilled plays at high speed. It's a question of how often he applies those tools.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad