RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Well,maybe we not should overhype Pulju and Laine like we did with all finns last 5 years. For example, Granlund has dominated in WJC, PPG player in Liiga, WC, OG, but in Nhl he seems to be another ~ 40 point player. Teuvo dominated in WJC too,and were good in Liiga,now he struggles in Nhl. Other first rounders,
Kapanen,Armia struggles in AHL!

It seems like Barkov is the only one of these finns with a really bright future in Nhl, if not the injuries stops him.

So,40 goal seasons in Nhl from one of these... I belive it when I see it

What seperates Laine, Puljujärvi and Barkov from Teräväinen and Granlund ? ;D

First three arent "midgets" and Armia just didnt work hard enough.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Well,maybe we not should overhype Pulju and Laine like we did with all finns last 5 years. For example, Granlund has dominated in WJC, PPG player in Liiga, WC, OG, but in Nhl he seems to be another ~ 40 point player. Teuvo dominated in WJC too,and were good in Liiga,now he struggles in Nhl. Other first rounders,

It seems like Barkov is the only one of these finns with a really bright future in Nhl, if not the injuries stops him.

Not you again.... The only player who was clearly overhyped by Finns lately is Granlund and maybe Kapanen. Teuvo isnt struggling he was better than expected in the Stanley Cup if you watch the re-draft threads people are putting him higher than where he was drafted. Määttä, Ristolainen, Lindell, Lindbohm and Rantanen to name a few all exceeded expectations so far (Avs fans love Rantanen and thought he didn't get enough icetime). Also Kapanen and Armia aren't struggling in the AHL?? Armia is struggling to get to the NHL and Kapanen's still young

Overall Finnish prospects have done better than expected (especially defensive prospects like, Ristolainen, Määttä, Lindell and Lindbohm) and that's why people are excited

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011

Granlund is a big ice player. Teuvo is playing his first full NHL season. Pulju and Laine are vastly better prospects than Granlund and Teuvo which is why they are ranked at the very top of a very strong draft as opposed to mid to late 1st.

40 goal seasons in NHL from any prospect...I believe it when I see it. Post 2010 there's been like three players who have been able to crack 40 goals more than once.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Nice wrister goal from Puljujärvi to bring Kärpät up 1-0. Looked like the Tappara defender gave him 1 foot too much space and screened his own goalie while doing so.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They have a huge size difference, and as far as I know these 2 don't have attitude problems towards training, just the opposite.
Kapanen was also just drafted a yeat ago, a year ago.

Pulju is unbeliavable modest guy.

Last edited:

Selannne

Mar 9, 2015
Not you again.... The only player who was clearly overhyped by Finns lately is Granlund and maybe Kapanen. Teuvo isnt struggling he was better than expected in the Stanley Cup if you watch the re-draft threads people are putting him higher than where he was drafted. Määttä, Ristolainen, Lindell, Lindbohm and Rantanen to name a few all exceeded expectations so far (Avs fans love Rantanen and thought he didn't get enough icetime). Also Kapanen and Armia aren't struggling in the AHL?? Armia is struggling to get to the NHL and Kapanen's still young

Overall Finnish prospects have done better than expected (especially defensive prospects like, Ristolainen, Määttä, Lindell and Lindbohm) and that's why people are excited

Right now Teuvo struggling a lot,I know you don't believe me. So read the Teuvo thread. Lindell haven't played a Nhl game yet. Lindbohm been sent down this year too. Rantanen too.
It's who you compare Kapanen to,but Nylander putting up PPG, Kapanen only got 2 goals. Offensive skilled player like Armia only got 20 goals in 114 games in Ahl now. I mean he will never be an Nhl player if he can't put up great numbers in Ahl. Pulkkinen dominated Ahl,and seems to be good for,maybe 20 goals in Nhl. For exactly how long are a player young for you? And when do they start to be old?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Right now Teuvo struggling a lot,I know you don't believe me. So read the Teuvo thread. Lindell haven't played a Nhl game yet. Lindbohm been sent down this year too. Rantanen too.
It's who you compare Kapanen to,but Nylander putting up PPG, Kapanen only got 2 goals. Offensive skilled player like Armia only got 20 goals in 114 games in Ahl now. I mean he will never be an Nhl player if he can't put up great numbers in Ahl. Pulkkinen dominated Ahl,and seems to be good for,maybe 20 goals in Nhl. For exactly how long are a player young for you? And when do they start to be old?

This season is 10 games old, there are ton of elite players who are struggling, TT is a smaller guy who needs to put up weight but the talent is there and he will again figure it out.
Sakic has said Rantanen could have stayed up but they couldn't give him enough minutes right now as the team is struggling a lot, and in the AHL he gets to play 16-20mins per night in every situation and was 1+1 on his 1st game.

Lindell just left Liiga same as Kapanen, they weren't supposed to be in the NHL right now and Nylander played in the AHL last year already, Kapanen is just getting used to it, Nylander is also one of the best prospects right now in the AHL.

But if you want to call them basically busts already go ahead.
Bit of positivity couldn't kill you, do you actually follow those teams at all or just watch the stats?
I want to say embarrassing.

Pulkkinen was a 4th round draft pick and nothing like Pulju and Armia can blame only himself but you compare everyone to him.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

You really comparing Nylander and Kapanen? that tell's me enough your knowledge about prospects..

-Rantanen didnt go down, by his performance.
-Lindbohm is playing in quite stacked team.
-Pulkkinen "only" a 20 goals guy, while he allready got 4 in 10 games.. So only 16 in 72 games..

Granlund and Teuvo might never be "elite" players in NHL, coz they are missing, what Barkov, Rantanen, Laine and Puljujärvi got.. And that's size.

Players under 20 are young. IMO

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I know well, that season is still early and young.
But if NHL draft 2016, organized right now.

What NHL team would have realistic chance to pick Jesse, into their prospect pool?.
Whether it should be Anaheim,Colorado,Florida,Toronto,Columbus or Carolina

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I know well, that season is still early and young.
But if NHL draft 2016, organized right now.

What NHL team would have realistic chance to pick Jesse, into their prospect pool?.
Whether it should be Anaheim,Colorado,Florida,Toronto,Columbus or Carolina

I dont think Anaheim and Colorado will be picking in top 5, unless they win lottery. But anyway, Colorado would gladly take either of Finns, as they are what Roy's looking (Big, talented etc)

nvm.. didnt read good enough. Florida or Colorado would be my guess.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Meh it's pointless to speculute where he will end up with all top 3 picks being decided by lottery.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
That does not even come close to going in against an NHL goalie...horrible goal.

Very little (if anything) separates backup goaltenders in the NHL from starting goalies in the big European leagues. He will score "horrible goals" in the NHL as well.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
That does not even come close to going in against an NHL goalie...horrible goal.

Not getting defensive here but that argument can be made for every goal scored in CHL. Doesn't mean those scorers can't score in the NHL.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

My point with bringing up players like Lindell and Lindbohm was that they werent drafted very high so they've exceeded expectations so far. Carolina fans have said Aho has also looked better than they expected of a second rounder

animalanimal

Jul 5, 2015
for you finns, how would puljujärvi and laine rank in comparison to rantanen as a prospect? or maybe a better question, where do you think puljujärvi and laine would go in the 2015 and 2014 drafts?

obviously things can change by the end of their draft year but as of now.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
for you finns, how would puljujärvi and laine rank in comparison to rantanen as a prospect? or maybe a better question, where do you think puljujärvi and laine would go in the 2015 and 2014 drafts?

obviously things can change by the end of their draft year but as of now.

Ahead by a fair margin. Rantanen was/is a very solid prospect, but Laine's and Puljujärvi's potential surpass his. As for rankings, I'm not really putting too much thought into this, but in 2014 they would go probably around top-5, in 2015 not sure. I want to say top-5 too, but I'm not sure.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015

That goal is mostly on the defender. I think what you meant was that getting that shot off doesn't even come close to being so easy against an NHL defender. The goalie could catch it of course but the wrister was hard and accurate enough that it's a highlight reel level save to make on an otherwise mundane-looking goal. I play as a goalie and hate when the D just drops back and lets the other team make a quality shot while screening any vision, potentially setting up a super annoying redirected shot while at it. Sometimes I think it would have been easier to save if they just jumped out of the way and let the attacker go on a breakaway. It's not a huge mistake from the defender, but he really should not allow someone like Puljujärvi to make a shot there.

Both are making waves already in their respective teams, while Rantanen a year ago was still adjusting to the Liiga. So both of them are ahead of Rantanen for now. Rantanen got it going after the WJCs and by Spring was already a strong figure in the TPS lineup. Puljujärvi is playing on the Kärpät 1st line and Laine on the Tappara 2nd line, so you could say that in a way they've both already achieved what Rantanen did on that front. Last season TPS was a tire fire, Rantanen received an unproportional amount of responsibility and happened to thrive there. Pulju and Laine will not have a path similar to that since they play on the two strongest hockey teams in Finland.

It's harder to say what kind of a trajectory they are on for next summer, since as you mentioned things change and the season is still young. A coin flip would likely be more accurate than any prediction given at this stage. It looks like they'd go before Rantanen from what we've seen up to this point, but by how much becomes a murkier discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad