RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
Yeah sure. He'll be finnish if he scores in Olympics and leads leijonat to medals and is a big national hero. But if he doesn't he all of the sudden becomes a swede.

Same with Barkov, only that he will become a russian.

That's Finland baby.

Swedes are exactly the same so...

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Much better skater than Perry ever was. He's been compared to Kovie,Ovie and Selanne more.

Well, Puljujärvi has a very Kovy-like stature IMO. If he can be a player close to Kovy's level, he will be one of my favorites.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Yeah, like when Zlatan does something good on the pitch he is Swedish. But his antics off the pitch isn't "very Swedish" according to the same people... :shakehead

Then again, Puljujärvi is still ethnicially 100% Finnish unlike Ibra and Barkov, so hopefully we won't need to put up with the scapegoat-ism

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Then again, Puljujärvi is still ethnicially 100% Finnish unlike Ibra and Barkov, so hopefully we won't need to put up with the scapegoat-ism

Exactly. Him being born in Sweden isn't even a story and it shouldn't be. I take responsibility for going off topic :laugh: From now on, let's discuss this great prospect instead!

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I didn't watch yesterday's game but the stats look weird. Pulju's linemates got 2+2 and 1+3 but he was scoreless and +/- 0 himself. What gives?

The post-game report does say that Puljujärvi's skating ability is what creates extra space in the O zone for this line. The first 1+1 for both Aho and Niemi came from two quick SH goals scored during the same penalty and Pulju didn't have any part in that.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
How do you pronounce his last name?
The videos of his latest goals feature a Finnish commentator saying his name many times. I'm sure you can pick up the approximate "PULL-you-YAR-vee" from all that other babble (the first video has really silent audio, so mind your speakers before and after watching it):

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I didn't watch yesterday's game but the stats look weird. Pulju's linemates got 2+2 and 1+3 but he was scoreless and +/- 0 himself. What gives?

Aho and Niemi scored 2 goals shorthanded and one on empty net when Puljujärvi wasn't on the ice. Puljujävi made the screen in front of the net on Niemelä's goal(which Niemi and Aho assisted).

He got a - on the second Ilves goal when Niemi had already the left the ice.

Yesterday's goal was the first one scored on Puljujärvi on 5vs5(other two minuses where on PP and 6vs5), kinda tells something about his defensive game.

Puljujärvi vs Laine tomorrow :handclap:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It would be awesome if the Canes could snatch him in the next draft.

Aho - Lindholm - Puljujärvi

Hurricanes has really good chances, to take Puljujarvi in their first pick.
But also Laine could be available for hurricanes, and perhaps Tkachuk too.

As a Florida Panthers fan, i really wanna see Puljujarvi with Barkov's teammate in panthers because they didn't get Rantanen past NHL draft ( 2015).
Florida was really interested about Rantanen, but he went for Colorado.
So Florida took Lawson Crouse.

But even Anaheim Ducks could take Puljujarvi, Ducks has been huge disappointment in early season.
And if they can't fix their course ( fire coach Boudreau etc), who knows what's gonna happen in the draft.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Hurricanes has really good chances, to take Puljujarvi in their first pick.
But also Laine could be available for hurricanes, and perhaps Tkachuk too.

As a Florida Panthers fan, i really wanna see Puljujarvi with Barkov's teammate in panthers because they didn't get Rantanen past NHL draft ( 2015).
Florida was really interested about Rantanen, but he went for Colorado.
So Florida took Lawson Crouse.

But even Anaheim Ducks could take Puljujarvi, Ducks has been huge disappointment in early season.
And if they can't fix their course ( fire coach Boudreau etc), who knows what's gonna happen in the draft.

I'd prefer having Puljujärvi in Carolina playing with Aho, and i also think Laine would be a better fit on Barkov's wing as Barkov doesnt shoot enough but is a great playmaker meaning Laine as a sniper completes him perfectly

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
I'd prefer having Puljujärvi in Carolina playing with Aho, and i also think Laine would be a better fit on Barkov's wing as Barkov doesnt shoot enough but is a great playmaker meaning Laine as a sniper completes him perfectly

Barkov has started shooting this season so that argument is invalid.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Of course it would be great, see Aho and Puljujärvi together in Carolina.
But Puljujärvi is wanted player, in upcoming NHL draft and there's many teams (Buffalo, New Jersey,Carolina,Philadelphia,Toronto and even Anaheim Ducks) which wont pass Puljujärvi if they have chance to pick him.

Laine for Barkov's wing, in Florida sounds cool.
But does Florida, has a chance to pick Laine.

We'll see that next summer.
Personally i like Laine a lot, he's really good and he has all chances to be 40+ goal scorer in NHL.

sah braise

Dec 24, 2014
Of course it would be great, see Aho and Puljujärvi together in Carolina.
But Puljujärvi is wanted player, in upcoming NHL draft and there's many teams (Buffalo, New Jersey,Carolina,Philadelphia,Toronto and even Anaheim Ducks) which wont pass Puljujärvi if they have chance to pick him.

Laine for Barkov's wing, in Florida sounds cool.
But does Florida, has a chance to pick Laine.

We'll see that next summer.
Personally i like Laine a lot, he's really good and he has all chances to be 40+ goal scorer in NHL.

Who do you see being the more effective NHLer between the two?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

If i need to chose right now, i would say Laine.
He has killer instincts for goal scoring, and his wrist shot is already NHL caliber.

Puljujärvi is mostly playmaker and goal scorer, also he knows his defensive responsible and he's really good skater.
Also Puljujärvi is ahead for Laine into two way game, but Laine use his size better than Puljujärvi

But truth is,Laine and Puljujärvi are both great prospects and they have NHL future.
And comparing them each others, is difficult.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Imo i would pick Puljujärvi ahead of Laine, feels safer and it's hard not to love his speed considering how big he is, but then again Laine plays more like a superstar. Laine looks like the next Selänne if he pans out.

If Puljujärvi can become more of a sniper and score more (which Team Finland needs) then i'll definitely pick him. Idk can you call his zero-goal performance in the WJC just bad puck luck? I want to see more goals like the last two he scored!

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015

I'd also say Puljujärvi is ahead currently. Laine has that wrister of his that looks good enough for a TOP6 role scoring player. Puljujärvi is further along in developing the 2-way play required to get any NHL ice time. A full season in a men's league and a good summer workout should bring both of them to a level where breaking into NHL becomes more realistic.

Selannne

Mar 9, 2015
Well,maybe we not should overhype Pulju and Laine like we did with all finns last 5 years. For example, Granlund has dominated in WJC, PPG player in Liiga, WC, OG, but in Nhl he seems to be another ~ 40 point player. Teuvo dominated in WJC too,and were good in Liiga,now he struggles in Nhl. Other first rounders,
Kapanen,Armia struggles in AHL!

It seems like Barkov is the only one of these finns with a really bright future in Nhl, if not the injuries stops him.

So,40 goal seasons in Nhl from one of these... I belive it when I see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad