RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th, VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No one would describe the play of any of those guys at their first tournament as all that great. I don't understand why Virtanen fans are trying to overstate how he did at the tournament. His performance was nothing special, no matter how much you want to insist otherwise.

I'm still a bit surprised that Crouse made it, but he filled a need of HC's where there was a space available. He did fine - about the same as Virtanen, tbh. The fact that Crouse made it doesn't stop it from being rare - only one or two draft eligible players make it a year.

Being critical that Marner didn't make WJC as a 17 year old is just ridiculous. I guess Strome should also be criticized for this failure. It's amazing that any team would take them so high in the draft (and before Crouse) when they didn't crack Team Canada during their draft year. :shakehead

I think Crouse looked awesome in the tournament especially in the role he had, he played like a pro no shifts off hard on the puck. Virtanen also played very well he pushed the pace, played physical shot the puck and went to the net. He was a threat to score and to put the D man through the boards. Both Crouse and Virtanen made D men rush and make mistakes through strong physical play.

I think its hilarious that people are coming out and saying he was a bad pick at 6 when he came off an injury this past season and was still an impact player that showed some really fantastic physical tools. You cant judge a draft 1 year later they are still teenagers. Especially when you look at production in the CHL, plenty of small players lite up the league and never amount to anything its about how the players skill set translates and how he is developed from here on out.

I dont think its any coincidence after a certain blue teams draft how much of an emphasis scoring in jr is made around these parts. I will also say I really like the Marner pick and I would have taken him at 3 if I had the choice. I do think he will be an offensive catalyst for team Canada, I also think he needs to be more consistent in his effort level and his decision making needs to be less high risk when he is not in the offensive zone.

Ironically Virtanen maybe the perfect linemate for Marner at the upcoming WJC. I highly doubt leaf fans will be upset when he is blowing by D men and making room for Marner to work his magic. Especially when Marner dishes to him and he buries with his rocket snapper.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Crouse looked awesome in the tournament especially in the role he had, he played like a pro no shifts off hard on the puck. Virtanen also played very well he pushed the pace, played physical shot the puck and went to the net. He was a threat to score and to put the D man through the boards. Both Crouse and Virtanen made D men rush and make mistakes through strong physical play.

I think its hilarious that people are coming out and saying he was a bad pick at 6 when he came off an injury this past season and was still an impact player that showed some really fantastic physical tools. You cant judge a draft 1 year later they are still teenagers. Especially when you look at production in the CHL, plenty of small players lite up the league and never amount to anything its about how the players skill set translates and how he is developed from here on out.

I dont think its any coincidence after a certain blue teams draft how much of an emphasis scoring in jr is made around these parts. I will also say I really like the Marner pick and I would have taken him at 3 if I had the choice. I do think he will be an offensive catalyst for team Canada, I also think he needs to be more consistent in his effort level and his decision making needs to be less high risk when he is not in the offensive zone.

Ironically Virtanen maybe the perfect linemate for Marner at the upcoming WJC. I highly doubt leaf fans will be upset when he is blowing by D men and making room for Marner to work his magic. Especially when Marner dishes to him and he buries with his rocket snapper.

Are you new to HF? Junior level scoring is typically the primary talking point in these threads. Though in Virtanen's case, the small sample of pro hockey he's played doesn't help his case.

So can we stop with the persecution complex? People aren't critical of the pick because he's a Canuck. Their critical because he was picked before a bunch of players who have since significantly outperformed him.

Virtanens Abust

Jun 2, 2015
Apparently Virtanen is being shoved down peoples throats? The only threads about him on the first pages of any sub is this one, and the one in the Canucks board. Theres not even a big flashy border or anything, theyre just like all the other threads.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Are you new to HF? Junior level scoring is typically the primary talking point in these threads. Though in Virtanen's case, the small sample of pro hockey he's played doesn't help his case.

So can we stop with the persecution complex? People aren't critical of the pick because he's a Canuck. Their critical because he was picked before a bunch of players who have since significantly outperformed him.

First of all I have been around here since 2002 so no im not new, in fact ive been around longer than most around here yourself included.

Projecting a player strictly based on jr stats is not how to evaluate a player, lately its the only argument anyone seems to be able to make. But that makes sense I guess when the majority on here only value point scoring in prospects not what they project to be at the NHL level. It also appears to be the only skill that matters to HF posters.

Second of all I am not a Canucks fan and not once was it suggested in my posts he is is being persecuted because of it.

Its made out in this thread to suggest he was god aweful, he was coming off an injury and when he played in the WJC he showed my traits of why he was a 6th overall draft pick. The argument I am making is point production in jr isnt the only way to evaluate a players development. It appears that you obviously disagree.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th, VAN) III

jake-virtanen-nhl-2014-nhl-draft.jpg

Latest highlights.

Part I : http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1141629
Part II: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=95350729

whlscowt

Pretty sure he stays with the team now after last nights performance.

I think it'll come down to the last game. My personal feeling is, barring the possibility that he has a magical head that bounces in shots aplenty, the offense still isn't there--or at least not where it could be. He's shown glimmers (that sick 2 on 2 pass along the boards to set up Horvat), and I think that's worth letting him develop, and not be rushed.

He's a fantastic prospect, but he needs to develop his skillset further. Another year of junior isn't a bad thing.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I think it'll come down to the last game. My personal feeling is, barring the possibility that he has a magical head that bounces in shots aplenty, the offense still isn't there--or at least not where it could be. He's shown glimmers (that sick 2 on 2 pass along the boards to set up Horvat), and I think that's worth letting him develop, and not be rushed.

He's a fantastic prospect, but he needs to develop his skillset further. Another year of junior isn't a bad thing.

Great post.

As far as him making the team or not, it will come down to the last game. I think that last game will be game 9 of the regular season.

At that point the most likely outcome is a return to junior, and a leadership role at the World Juniors.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Gaunce kenins cut. Virtanen just made the club it looks like.

Well deserved

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Pretty sure he stays with the team now after last nights performance.

Of living off Horvat and taking a shot off his head?

Being a Canuck fan is rough when we settle on a prospect and HYPE him to death regardless of how he plays. Its like we think if we defend the guy on HF boards and CDC then he will be good somehow.

We have other prospects. We dont need to 'protect' Jake Virtanen from scorn.

Horvat, Mc Cann and Demko are excellent prospects . Sure we will have to rebuild but they will be entering their prime by time we finish the rebuild.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Gaunce kenins cut. Virtanen just made the club it looks like.

Well deserved

Gaunce Kenins can go to the AHL. Virtanen cannot. Either NHL or back to junior. You can 'cut' all the prospects you want regardless of their play as long as they arent waiver eligible.

Why does Jake Virtanen HAVE to make the NHL at age 19?

Why do we have to 'hide in the weeds' and then when he gets 3 points bump a thread nobody has written to in a month and a half?

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Don't quit ur day job there mr. hockey analyst.

Explain to me why this thread stopped posting on Aug 19 and then when he finally gets 3 points we have to run here and HYPE the guy?

Full highlights. Comments that he MUST make the team at age 19 because of that one game. What about all the other games?

Perhaps we might want to treat Virtanen the same as our other prospects. He doesnt NEED to make the NHL right now to satisfy our egos.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Explain to me why this thread stopped posting on Aug 19 and then when he finally gets 3 points we have to run here and HYPE the guy?

Full highlights. Comments that he MUST make the team at age 19 because of that one game. What about all the other games?

Perhaps we might want to treat Virtanen the same as our other prospects. He doesnt NEED to make the NHL right now to satisfy our egos.

Are you suggesting that Virtanen has not deserved to make the team with his current preseason?

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I for one, agree with you.

I think the issue is that management and fans seem to think that he's in the same position Horvat was in last year. I don't think he's even close, Gaunce IMO earned that spot over him.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014

I think the issue is that management and fans seem to think that he's in the same position Horvat was in last year. I don't think he's even close, Gaunce IMO earned that spot over him.

I agree with you for once.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008

Gaunce deserved a spot, no doubt about that. But Gaunce is AHL able, while virtanen is not. Virtanen I think also deserved to make the team, but has to be forced to juniors.

I think Virtanen making the team is the right move.

Ideally Vey gets on waivers and Gaunce made the team over him, but life is not fair, and WD loves vey for some reason.

IMO Hutton, Virtanen, Gaunce, and McCann should make the team this year with Vey, Kenins, Corrado (unfortunately) miss. (When higgins comes back, the worse of V,G,MC go down).

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I agree with you for once.

10-Perks-of-Travelling-Solo-3.gif

Gaunce deserved a spot, no doubt about that. But Gaunce is AHL able, while virtanen is not. Virtanen I think also deserved to make the team, but has to be forced to juniors.

I think Virtanen making the team is the right move.

Ideally Vey gets on waivers and Gaunce made the team over him, but life is not fair, and WD loves vey for some reason.

IMO Hutton, Virtanen, Gaunce, and McCann should make the team this year with Vey, Kenins, Corrado (unfortunately) miss. (When higgins comes back, the worse of V,G,MC go down).

The thing is, Virtanen still hasn't developed a strong defensive game yet. The reason Horvat was given the ice time and opportunities he was is because Willie could put him out against the best of the best and Horvat would come out even or on top in most scenarios.

Virtanen is also a lot more of an emotionally charged player. If he gets screws up and gets frustrated - loses 'confidence/faith in himself' and Willie loses faith in him I can see things getting ugly for him. Simply because he isn't at the level mentally and defensively that he needs to be to succeed in the same way Horvat did and Gaunce/McCann will when they make the big club.

That's just how I see it though.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
10-Perks-of-Travelling-Solo-3.gif

The thing is, Virtanen still hasn't developed a strong defensive game yet. The reason Horvat was given the ice time and opportunities he was is because Willie could put him out against the best of the best and Horvat would come out even or on top in most scenarios.

Virtanen is also a lot more of an emotionally charged player. If he gets screws up and gets frustrated - loses 'confidence/faith in himself' and Willie loses faith in him I can see things getting ugly for him. Simply because he isn't at the level mentally and defensively that he needs to be to succeed in the same way Horvat did and Gaunce/McCann will when they make the big club.

That's just how I see it though.

Fair enough, but Virtanen does bring other qualities that Horvat does not have, like tenacious fore-checking, big hitting.

His defensive game needs work, but it's no way awful, it's just average, where I would expect a 19 year old kid to be at.

Give him his 9 games, and everybody will know where he is at.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough, but Virtanen does bring other qualities that Horvat does not have, like tenacious fore-checking, big hitting.

His defensive game needs work, but it's no way awful, it's just average, where I would expect a 19 year old kid to be at.

Give him his 9 games, and everybody will know where he is at.

Yup, fingers crossed.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Good things happen to a prospect and their thread lights up?

Weird, must be a Virtanen thing only.

if you don't want to be in a thread listening to people express their (for once) not negative sentiment about Jake then I have some amazing news for you...

... you don't have to read it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Can't judge a guy by one good game but with how well the Baerstchi-Horvat-Virtanen line clicked you may as well give him 9 games here to see how well it carries into the regular season.

I'm just happy it looks like Horvat will be getting an offensive role and we're not doing the:

Baerstchi-Sutter-Vrbata
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00