RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th, VAN) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
His upper body is actually pretty standard for an athlete, it's his legs that are freakishly big.

Yeah, the whole 228lbs thing is both an indication that he may not have been in ideal cardio state at the time...and indication that his legs where you can add a ton of mass and power to skate like Virtanen does, are kind of freakish. Given the fact his upper body has looked relatively underdeveloped and even "weak" comparative to his overall weight even on draft day...and obviously beyond as a shoulder injury and subsequent rehab is apt to make upper-body strength building a bit complicated.

Chris Kreider is what? 225-230 lbs? A lot of comparisons have been made between Virtanen and Kreider at various times.

Yeah, Virtanen going from 210 to 228 back 210 seems a little out there, especially considering his skating/speed from the Whl playoffs, then Ahl playoffs to this last exh. challenge didn't seem to change much at all.

I think like Kreider, Virtanen is likely to be built like the sort of player you might perhaps see...leaping out of a swimming pool with a hugely powerful lower body. :laugh:

David Booth bulked up to 248lbs at one point during an offseason that was extended by his ankle injury. Usually played at 210lbs-220lbs. These guys have insane builds for putting on mass.

Exactly. Guys with a naturally big athletic frame like that...+/-10lbs is nothing. They'll gain and lose that over a season easily. If not much less time. Especially if their conditioning level isn't totally up to par and they're focused on gaining strength/power playing in Jrs. People get way too wrapped up in "listed weight" for players, which is 99% of the time, completely bogus. When you have direct reports of what a player weighs in at (as in the provided articles with specific quotations on the topic direct from Benning), that's something you can weigh in.

It's the difference in a guy with a "big frame" and a guy without. The idea is, Virtanen has the sort of frame to legitimately play at close to 220lbs one day...as he matures and starts to really refine his fitness regimen into something targeted and "ideal".

It's a lot like a guy in Pacioretty who was drafted at something like "203lbs" and reportedly plays now at something like "214lbs" and comes into camp at something like "218lbs". And that's without mention of where his pre-camp weight falls in the summer.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2007/06/getting-to-know-mcdonagh-and-pacioretty.html
http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/dinner-with-max-an-enlightening-look-at-habs-sniper-pacioretty-on-the-ice-and-off

With Virtanen, you've got a guy who weighed in at the combine at some 209lbs...and has been clearly documented as reaching into the 228lb range at the end of a full season and playoff run in the Dub. That's a "heavy player", with a "heavy build". Conditioning and fitness may push him back down to 210lbs, but it's hardly an unbelievable set of numbers, and it's probably not a hugely different situation than Bo Horfat of last summer for the Canucks. A guy who was 220+ in the summer/offseason/summer prospect camp...came into Canucks camp in the fall @ a reported ~215lbs, and ended the season in better bf% state @220lbs (and skating much faster as a result).

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Iain+MacIntyre+Canucks+rookie+Horvat+knows+huge+gains/10878161/story.html

Wouldn't expect it to work out so rapidly and counter to expectations as it did with Horvat, but given what we know about Virtanen actually gaining mass over the course of last season and dropping weight again for fitness...it's a somewhat familiar story...and it wouldn't be remotely surprising if the Canucks ended up with a 440lb duo of players "core players". :laugh:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I"m curious what Virtanen's BF% is. If he's playing at 215lbs and is the same body fat % as Horvat, i'd have no problem with that. He'd fly out there with that build and those long legs

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I catch a ton of Hitmen games every year, and Virtanen is definitely a good player.
I'm a little worried how he'll transition to the NHL, he beats up a lot of folks in the WHL with that power and speed, but that's a completely different creature than the NHL. The read I get from him, is he won't be a star power-forward; even in his prime. What I read from him is a power build that can chip in 15-25 goals and may be a 45-65 point guy (60 if the stars align).

There's maybe Blake Wheeler upside to him, maybe. I'd really like to see a pro season out of him when he has to play against men, because like most PF, he's going to have a tough go likely making that jump.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I catch a ton of Hitmen games every year, and Virtanen is definitely a good player.
I'm a little worried how he'll transition to the NHL, he beats up a lot of folks in the WHL with that power and speed, but that's a completely different creature than the NHL. The read I get from him, is he won't be a star power-forward; even in his prime. What I read from him is a power build that can chip in 15-25 goals and may be a 45-65 point guy (60 if the stars align).

There's maybe Blake Wheeler upside to him, maybe. I'd really like to see a pro season out of him when he has to play against men, because like most PF, he's going to have a tough go likely making that jump.

Sounds like Emerson Etem

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
^ exactly. It's easy to hate on him on here with him being a Canucks prospect and all but just watch the guy. He's such a poweful skater. It's weird when you see a guy as strong as him with that build , skate as fast as he does out there.

If he keeps his conditioning in check, he's going to be a beast

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
^ exactly. It's easy to hate on him on here with him being a Canucks prospect and all but just watch the guy. He's such a poweful skater. It's weird when you see a guy as strong as him with that build , skate as fast as he does out there.

If he keeps his conditioning in check, he's going to be a beast

Lol where you people keep coming up with this notion.

People don't hate him because he's a Canucks prospect, they laugh at him for being taken 6th overall and are getting sick of him because he's a decent prospect being shoved down everyone elses throats. Unwarranted shoving mind you, there are plenty of prospects in the 2014 draft that have shown greater progression than Virtanen and you don't see their threads being a staple on the prospects front page.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Interesting to read the takes on Virtanen, I had him in an NHL 13 GM Mode one time and he led the league in goals his rookie season, and I've been following his real life career ever since.

Obviously he doesn't have THAT kind of upside to him, I always saw a good bit of potential in him and kept my eye on him when I could watch the occasional Hitmen games. As a few people have said, I see him progressing to a middle of the back 20-25 goal scorer who chips in in big scenarios. While I don't think he'll be a top prospect, I think he'll develop quite well with some time.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The read I get from him, is he won't be a star power-forward; even in his prime. What I read from him is a power build that can chip in 15-25 goals and may be a 45-65 point guy (60 if the stars align).

Agreed. From what I've seen, he's David Jones 2.0 Which isn't necessarily a bad thing mind you, Jones had a 27 goal season back when his knees were 100%

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

People don't hate him because he's a Canucks prospect, they laugh at him for being taken 6th overall and are getting sick of him because he's a decent prospect being shoved down everyone elses throats. Unwarranted shoving mind you, there are plenty of prospects in the 2014 draft that have shown greater progression than Virtanen and you don't see their threads being a staple on the prospects front page.

Who is shoving Virtanen down anyone's throat? He's a good prospect for a team with a lot of fans. You don't have to enter the thread if you don't want to. I don't see what the issue is here. Are people not supposed to talk about Virtanen because you don't think he's that great of a prospect?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Sorry, are there Canucks fans standing around your computer forcing you to click on threads? Your participation actually isn't mandatory, don't know if you were aware of that.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

I haven't watched as many Hitmen games as you, but this is very similar to what I foresee for Jake.

Although not only do I share your concerns with how he will transition to the NHL but I might go as far as to say that him making the NHL is far from a foregone conclusion.

If he does make it, 15-25 goals and 45-65 points is exactly the range I expect him to fall under, leaning heavily towards the lower end of that scale but with the potential to hit the upper end if everything goes perfectly in his development.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
I haven't watched as many Hitmen games as you, but this is very similar to what I foresee for Jake.

Although not only do I share your concerns with how he will transition to the NHL but I might go as far as to say that him making the NHL is far from a foregone conclusion.

If he does make it, 15-25 goals and 45-65 points is exactly the range I expect him to fall under, leaning heavily towards the lower end of that scale but with the potential to hit the upper end if everything goes perfectly in his development.

If he can be a 2nd line 20 goal guy (Dustin Brown in his prime), I think everyone would be more than happy.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
His size and skating alone is gonna Make him an nhl regular

Last edited:

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Virtanen not even in the NHL yet and already making people salty. I like this guy.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Virtanen not even in the NHL yet and already making people salty. I like this guy.

No, its more the fans that are trying to over hype him who are making people salty. Not Virtanen. He will be a nice 2nd/3rd liner int he league though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I think way too many posters are dwelling on one year of development, lots can change and happen players go up and down especially once they turn pro. A teams ability to develop a player is very important, when they are still in Jr he isnt under the NHL teams control. I have noticed more than ever the emphasis of players production in Jr and less focus on how the players game is going to translate to the NHL. Maybe its because of Gaudreau's fantastic season everyone thinks every smallish, skilled players are going to come in and set the world on fire. Maybe its advanced stats like possession and points scored? HF does love to emphasis point production as a measure of a players value and worth. Which makes sense on a message board as its much more quantifiable as its hard to measure compete level, defensive awareness etc when you arent around the to see players on a day to day.

Something that hasnt changed is power players that are bigger often take longer to develop and adjust which is where the pro development comes in. What else hasnt changed is you need players that are hard to play against, big bodies, compete on pucks and make smart decisions. These traits often get lost in the summer.

My point is Virtanen has fantastic tools that are going to translate to being a pro, he is clearly a couple years away but if he is developed properly he can definitely justify his draft position. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and let the teenager develop he is going to be a handfull.

If he follows Krieders development and is the impact player that Krieder is turning out to be then thats a hell of a player.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The one where he scored just 1 goal all tournament, and was tied in 10th in scoring on team Canada? Yes I watched.

Sounds like you didnt watch actually. It sounds like you looked at the stats and thats it.

No, its more the fans that are trying to over hype him who are making people salty. Not Virtanen. He will be a nice 2nd/3rd liner int he league though.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sounds like you didnt watch actually. It sounds like you looked at the stats and thats it.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Ugh if your some "big offensive player" your expected to produce, which he didnt. Great he threw a couple hits, 3rd liners are usually good at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad