RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
If I had to draw an NHL comparison for Virtanen it would be E Kane, very similar play styles IMO.

ManoWarrior

Jul 24, 2010
I'm almost positive he got injured in the second game. He was flying around and playing ultra-aggressive hockey at first but deteriorated as the tournament went on. He was playing very tentative and floating from the quarter finals onward. Very concerning if he got injured again or if I'm incorrect and his play just dropped way off.

His early display was very impressive. Hopefully he ends up being the dynamic player he's capable of being

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
3rd youngest player on Team Canada after Crouse and McDavid and did pretty much everything he could in his limited role and inexperience. His reverse hits are so explosive, I would never expect the opposition to fly like that on contact. Also displayed some nice stickhandling and contributed offensively.

He's going to be a dominant player if he continues his trend of development with a very rare skillset.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I'm almost positive he got injured in the second game. He was flying around and playing ultra-aggressive hockey at first but deteriorated as the tournament went on. He was playing very tentative and floating from the quarter finals onward. Very concerning if he got injured again or if I'm incorrect and his play just dropped way off.

It's possible. He didn't play for the Hitmen last night in Moose Jaw, but Point didn't play for the Warriors either so it's likely they didn't come back from Toronto in time.

We'll see if he dresses tonight against Swift Current.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It's possible. He didn't play for the Hitmen last night in Moose Jaw, but Point didn't play for the Warriors either so it's likely they didn't come back from Toronto in time.

We'll see if he dresses tonight against Swift Current.

Seems to be in the line up. Guess something else toned his game down, coaching would be my guess. The guy loves to hit so I can't see him playing that passive unless it was under coaches orders. Glad to see no injury though, the kids' missed enough hockey and just needs a long stretch of just playing now.

arsmaster*

I recall that hit being a forearm/elbow to the head. Clear penalty imo.

You recall wrong.

It was a boarding penalty.

Boarding usually requires being hit overtly hard into the boards.

The hit he doled out was not boarding he hit the guy up the boards not into it. There was minimal contact with he boards.

If there was an infraction on the play it could have maybe been called a charge, but I think having seen the hits doled out in that game to that point it was definitely one that when called seemed very harsh.
I think the only reason it was is because it was 5-1.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
The boarding penalty in question

HugeCaringAsianelephant.gif

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The boarding penalty in question

HugeCaringAsianelephant.gif

Good gif. Seems to me he hits the player on the side, not the numbers, and knocks him parallel to the boards, not into the boards. Hard to justify the 'boarding' aspect of that call.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Reminds me a little of Evander Kane, a little of Dustin Brown, and a good bit of Erik Cole. His stats in the dub are a bit pedestrian for a 6th overall pick, but watching him play for both Calgary and Canada he's clearly a kid with great tools whose game will IMO translate very well to the NHL. Solid 2nd line winger is his floor IMO, and I think he definitely has a shot to mature into a 1st liner with time too. I like that he's getting more consistent with time too, disappears a lot less than he used to (at least in the games I've seen).

People have ribbed the Nucks a bit for going with Virtanen when there were some really high skill guys on the board in Nylander and Ehlers, but I think all 3 are going to be good NHLers, who just bring different things to the table. I like the pick, personally.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Re: the penalty, that's just international junior hockey. Hard clean hits are penalties constantly. Charing and boarding are two very ambiguously defined penalties, in the CHL (and the AHL and NHL) it's really only the super violent, nasty hits that get you boarding/charging, while in international hockey, especially with kids, pretty much any decently hard hit can get you 2 minutes. I don't like it either, but they've called it that way for as long as I can remember.

Too2train

Nov 28, 2011
Re: the penalty, that's just international junior hockey. Hard clean hits are penalties constantly. Charing and boarding are two very ambiguously defined penalties, in the CHL (and the AHL and NHL) it's really only the super violent, nasty hits that get you boarding/charging, while in international hockey, especially with kids, pretty much any decently hard hit can get you 2 minutes. I don't like it either, but they've called it that way for as long as I can remember.

This. Imo I dont think CHL refs even look twice at that hit.

I think the players for most countries realize this too when playing at the WJs. Virtanen, Morin, Ritchie just off TC and I can imagine a player like DLR knows this as well All played a much safer game than their usual. (DLR, maybe idk, I assume physicality is a part to his game)

I cant wait to see where Jake eventually ends up though. Personally I thought he had a good showing for TC, played his role and knew that he wasnt gonna be 'thee' guy which I assume he's used too (much like a lot of the guys on that team). Does need some time to refine is cycle and positioning when not off the rush. Masters that, and who knows what future this kid could potentially have. Not sure if it was Jake in question, but for some poster(s) to say he has no hockey IQ is laughable.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He is nowhere near as skilled as Evander Kane but he does have a much better attitude.

From watching Kane on the Jets for more than 3 seasons, I'd say I've never seen Kane take a shift off. He brings effort and intensity every game. He plays how the coach asks him and where the coach asks him and hasn't sulked when put with slugs. Coaches have rewarded him with plenty of ice-time, including important penalty-killing duties (which he's very good at).

Coach Maurice says that Kane is one of the fittest athletes he's coached, and has an incredible pain threshold to play through injuries.

Is that the "attitude" you are talking about?

Or were you referring to a couple of silly pictures he posted on social media?

If you were to ask me for a difference between Kane and Virtanen at this point, I would say that Kane is more consistent in his effort and intensity. They both have deficiencies in vision and offensive creativity.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
How is he different from another "Finnish player" Magnus Pääjärvi? They sound a lot similar.

arsmaster*

How is he different from another "Finnish player" Magnus Pääjärvi? They sound a lot similar.

Virtanen has a natural talent of putting the puck in the net. That was always MPS' problem, it was his knock even before he was drafted.

All Swedish, no Finish.

That's before mentioning the physically imposing game Virtanen can play, that was never really a strong point to MPS' game.
-----

Evander Kane is a stylistic comp that isn't bad, but Evander was always better on the wall. Right now that is the big weakness in Jake's game. He will engage on the cycle but looks to break it too early.

I think his shot is better than Kane's right now though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Virtanen has a natural talent of putting the puck in the net. That was always MPS' problem, it was his knock even before he was drafted.

All Swedish, no Finish.
Pääjärvi had 12 goals as a 18-year-old in the Swedish Elite. And 5 goals at the adult World Champioships in 9 games. Virtanen has averages 0.5 goals per game in a junior league.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Pretty much as clean as it gets just as I recalled ;)

That's the "big hit" penalty that I've come to expect as pretty much standard at the World Juniors. "Oh **** he got rocked...better call something." Honestly it didn't happen nearly as often this year so I feel like I shouldn't complain :laugh:

(And yes, it was a lovely, clean hit)

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
He is nowhere near as skilled as Evander Kane but he does have a much better attitude.

Having watched both play junior fairly extensively in junior, Virtanen is not far off Kane's skill level at all. Kane's numbers were slightly better, but those Giants teams were absolutely beastly as well. They are pretty similar, I would say Kane was a little more polished and Jake has a better shot at this age.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
From watching Kane on the Jets for more than 3 seasons, I'd say I've never seen Kane take a shift off. He brings effort and intensity every game. He plays how the coach asks him and where the coach asks him and hasn't sulked when put with slugs. Coaches have rewarded him with plenty of ice-time, including important penalty-killing duties (which he's very good at).

Coach Maurice says that Kane is one of the fittest athletes he's coached, and has an incredible pain threshold to play through injuries.

Is that the "attitude" you are talking about?

Or were you referring to a couple of silly pictures he posted on social media?

If you were to ask me for a difference between Kane and Virtanen at this point, I would say that Kane is more consistent in his effort and intensity. They both have deficiencies in vision and offensive creativity.

I know nothing about Kane but the perception (at least around here and on the NHL Network) is that he is underperforming his potential. Do you agree with that and if so what do you think the issue is if not the reasons you dismissed? Just curious to know....

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Pääjärvi had 12 goals as a 18-year-old in the Swedish Elite. And 5 goals at the adult World Champioships in 9 games. Virtanen has averages 0.5 goals per game in a junior league.
Virtanen is not all about scoring, he protected teammates, he hit like a truck, and had a solid forecheck.

Also look at his age, he was almost eligible for the draft THIS year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille