RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Agreed except in most cases people are making the determination about Virtanen's IQ based on his stat line rather than watching him play. Some WHL watchers for sure have pointed out some 'tunnel vision' or tendency to try to do too much, but most of the real negative 'low IQ' aspersions seem to come from those who have never watched him play.
Ya I definitely agree, many incorrect assumptions are made on players based soley on stat watching.

Edit: Tonight we will get a chance to see Virtanen, and I am excited to see him play, he's only got a few goals, not that I was expecting much more coming off the injury, but I'm hoping to see him show off his shooting ability tonight, and it would be nice to see him make some plays with the puck & to see him throw his weight around aswell.

Should be a good game tonight.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ya I definitely agree, many incorrect assumptions are made on players based soley on stat watching.

Edit: Tonight we will get a chance to see Virtanen, and I am excited to see him play, he's only got a few goals, not that I was expecting much more coming off the injury, but I'm hoping to see him show off his shooting ability tonight, and it would be nice to see him make some plays with the puck & to see him throw his weight around aswell.

Should be a good game tonight.

Same here. Heard he will line up with Reinhart (a tremendously high IQ player) so should be interesting to see how/whether Virtanen adapts his style tonite.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Virtanen was on the receiving end of a penalized high hit from Scherbak in the first period of the Subway Series game tonight. He went to the room, but is back now.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Really showed alot tonight for me.

He was making plays with the puck which after seeing him in the U18's (where he didn't really do much of that) was my biggest criticism of his game, but tonight he was doing that, he made some really nice plays, some nice passes, to go along with the physicality, the speed & the shooting ability.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Really showed alot tonight for me.

He was making plays with the puck which after seeing him in the U18's (where he didn't really do much of that) was my biggest criticism of his game, but tonight he was doing that, he made some really nice plays, some nice passes, to go along with the physicality, the speed & the shooting ability.

Agree. The hitting, skating, heavy shot, and fast hands (esp. on the goal) were fun to watch but are what we know that Jake is good at. The passing and puck movement was more rewarding to watch because it's been the main criticism of him and tonight he looked very comfortable reading the play and seeing his teammates out there. Certainly he'll never be confused with Sam Reinhart as a playmaker, but so long as he isn't stifling his line by ignoring linemates and makes the "right" pass 9 times out of 10 (tonight he did), then I'm happy with his progress. The natural gifts are what will get him to the NHL, but his play within a team system (or lack of) is about all that can potentially keep him out.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thought he was good last night but all in all, my recent viewings continue to show me the same things I said about him last year.

I saw him like two weeks ago and he was a ghost. Didn't throw one hit, was passive in battles, didn't initiate contact, was just an overall bad viewing. I was willing to give him a free pass due to his recent shoulder issues.

But, then I saw him in the Super Series last night and he was awesome. He was physical, grinding, going to the net. A 100% different player.

There's no doubt the kid can take over a game when he wants to but that consistency continues to drive me absolutely crazy. If he could come to play every night he would be nearly unstoppable.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Agree. The hitting, skating, heavy shot, and fast hands (esp. on the goal) were fun to watch but are what we know that Jake is good at. The passing and puck movement was more rewarding to watch because it's been the main criticism of him and tonight he looked very comfortable reading the play and seeing his teammates out there. Certainly he'll never be confused with Sam Reinhart as a playmaker, but so long as he isn't stifling his line by ignoring linemates and makes the "right" pass 9 times out of 10 (tonight he did), then I'm happy with his progress. The natural gifts are what will get him to the NHL, but his play within a team system (or lack of) is about all that can potentially keep him out.

This is a bang on statement about Virtanens future success or failure. In his interviews he comes across as a very intelligent kid, hopefully he can translate that intelligence and combine it with a little modesty to understand the flaws in his game and do what it takes to keep progressing and becoming a great NHL player.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
To those who watched him extensively last year and this year: has his game improved? Going into the draft his biggest flaw was his "questionable IQ", is that still apparent? He had an understandably slow start to the year, did his game pick up towards his selection to Team Canada?

Thanks

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
To those who watched him extensively last year and this year: has his game improved? Going into the draft his biggest flaw was his "questionable IQ", is that still apparent? He had an understandably slow start to the year, did his game pick up towards his selection to Team Canada?

Thanks

-Yes he's improved.
-I never understood the low I.Q argument imo just because you take alot of shot, and score alot of goals, doesn't mean you don't have good I.Q. Anyway he's using his teammates more this year, so improvement.
-Has skated well all year, but has had inconsistent rusty shot. In the last 7ish game (before camp) he's really been picking it up, and dominating games both Physically+Offensively, so yes he was hitting his stride as camp was coming up.

Hope this helps.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I thought the Canucks were going off the board for Virtanen, but he is looking really good. Bonus that he is a hometown boy as well, hopefully he stays with you guy long term (as long as he doesn't score against Calgary).

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I thought the Canucks were going off the board for Virtanen, but he is looking really good. Bonus that he is a hometown boy as well, hopefully he stays with you guy long term (as long as he doesn't score against Calgary).

Remember Button had him ranked going in the mid-second round? :laugh:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Yea I've been impressed with him so far, looks like he'll be a good player for the Canucks.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Remember Button had him ranked going in the mid-second round? :laugh:

Yes, I remember that. What I mean by you guys going off the board, I thought Virtanen was more of a 10-15 pick (imo). I think Button had him ranked 42nd? No way he'd get passed over 41 times, some twice by GMs. In a way, I was hoping that was true so that we could have picked him at 34 :laugh:.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Want to hear from fans from other teams so we get an unbiased opinion, what do you guys Virtanen will be once fully developed and in his prime? 1st line LW? 2nd line? 3rd? and estimated point totals in prime [i.e I think Virtanen will be good for 'X-X-XX']

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Want to hear from fans from other teams so we get an unbiased opinion, what do you guys Virtanen will be once fully developed and in his prime? 1st line LW? 2nd line? 3rd? and estimated point totals in prime [i.e I think Virtanen will be good for 'X-X-XX']

In his prime, I can definitely see a 1st line LW/RWer. For most of his career, I see a solid 2nd liner that can fill in the first line if need be.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Have been impressed with him at the WJC even though they're using him in a very limited role. I just wish they'd get him away from Freddy Nogoalsthier.

He looks very adept at exiting the zone and gaining controlled zone entrys on his own, mostly due to his excellent skating/acceleration. It's obvious he's got a great shot as well. Please TC, put him with McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad