RW Andrei Svechnikov - Barrie Colts, OHL (2018 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As far as I know there is no actual evidence that Andrei is leaving Russia for next season. He will probably play for the U18 team in the MHL.
He can't even leave for the CHL, you have to be entering your 17 year old season to enter the import draft.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Well there you go. By the time Andrei is 17 he might be a KHLer for all we know.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
On the flip side, one could say Andrei Svechnikov is being held back this year. He should be playing in the MHL.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Yeah, I don't know what Andrei is thinking. We'll see.

The real problem here is the economy.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Peter25, while I partially agree with the statement that "CHL ruins young russian kids", is it so necessary to talk about that in every russian prospect thread? I thought there is special thread for this kind of discussion.
By the way, Prokhorov said earlier in his recent interview for Sport FM, that he will invite 00 born kids to U18 Team in addition to the children born in 1999, and he also said that there is some rising star (he didn't mention the name), who really stands out. I think it's not difficult to guess to whom these words were dedicated.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
If he's really that good, why wouldn't he play in the KHL next season?

Firstly, because of his KHL team, the coach of which is Zinetula Bilyaletdinov. He is known as coach, who actually treats youngsters with a grain of salt. And that's a problem since it may become the main reason Svechnikov's departure.
And secondly, next two years he primarily should be the part of national program, its main force. It's very possible he'll be allowed to play a couple of games in KHL as early as next season, but not a full season of course.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I know its really early and we can't be sure, but Ovechkin tier or Tarasenko tier?

Ovi is in a tier of his own when it comes to goalscoring, not going to be touched by any prospect for a while if ever again. As a player though other than Ovi, Malkin is the last Russian player I can remember to garner this amount of hype.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
I know its really early and we can't be sure, but Ovechkin tier or Tarasenko tier?

If things go well as it should be, then I believe he will be our next great thing. I mean Tarasenko tier or even Kovalchuk tier player. As has been mentioned, Ovechkin is a very special hockey player, he's already one of the greatest players and arguably the best goalscorer of all time. There is/was/will no prospect, who'd deserve such predictions, except McDavid maybe. But Svechnikov is not McDavid for sure. He can become star player in NHL, but he won't be generational player. At least I dont see that kind of potential in him.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Jesus, 26 points and 18 goals in 7 games?

I think he should be playing at a higher level...

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Jesus, 26 points and 18 goals in 7 games?

I think he should be playing at a higher level...

It's time for MHL and FHR managements to think about exceptional status for really talented russian kids by analogy with CHL. I believe he's already faster, stronger, bigger and just better than good amount of older MHL players.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
It's time for MHL and FHR managements to think about exceptional status for really talented russian kids by analogy with CHL. I believe he's already faster, stronger, bigger and just better than good amount of older MHL players.

Looks like he put up over 2 ppg as a 14 year old in U16 last year, I don't know how you can justify keeping him at the same level after that.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
But Svechnikov is not McDavid for sure. He can become star player in NHL, but he won't be generational player

Why? He has dominated every level of play so far and is the most hyped prospect since Malkin/Ovechkin youth days (maybe even more, because of not so good internet at that time in Russia). That's arguably two of the three best players of the past decade. I don't understand how can you so easily dismiss his success so far.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Why? He has dominated every level of play so far and is the most hyped prospect since Malkin/Ovechkin youth days (maybe even more, because of not so good internet at that time in Russia). That's arguably two of the three best players of the past decade. I don't understand how can you so easily dismiss his success so far.

He's probably watched both play and come to that conclusion.

Remember, Svechnikov is ranked #2 by ISS behind Veleno, who is certainly not on McDavid's level at this stage. If Svechnikov was on the level of McDavid he would be the clear #1.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
He can't even leave for the CHL, you have to be entering your 17 year old season to enter the import draft.

He could play in the USHL next year, then move to the CHL for his draft-eligible season. Galiev and Provorov took that route, and given the high quality of the USHL, it probably wouldn't be a bad strategy.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
Remember, Svechnikov is ranked #2 by ISS behind Veleno, who is certainly not on McDavid's level at this stage..

Yeah and Kucherov was drafted in late 50s despite everyone in Russia who is following hockey knowing that he is one of the greatest talents of that year. Russia is heavily underscouted and so-called "russian factor" is playing a role in these pre-drat ratings too.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa

Oh, well... I thought it was obvious. It can be easily understood just through the eye-test. McDavid always had some extra elite tools like his nimble skating, supreme hands and unmatched IQ, I just do not see same things in Svechnikov right now. He has all the tools in the world, but there is no anything that screams generational talent to me. He's been very good during the recent WHC-17 tournament, one of the best our players, but he didn't dominate this tourney like McDavid at the same age. Sokolov was also our best thing since Ovi/Malkin. So what? Where is he now?

Yeah and Kucherov was drafted in late 50s despite everyone in Russia who is following hockey knowing that he is one of the greatest talents of that year. Russia is heavily underscouted and so-called "russian factor" is playing a role in these pre-drat ratings too.

If he was McDavid tier player all scouts of the world would know about it regardless of where he plays and so-called "russian factor", and he would be surefire and unanimous candidate for 1st selection in 2018.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's probably watched both play and come to that conclusion.

Remember, Svechnikov is ranked #2 by ISS behind Veleno, who is certainly not on McDavid's level at this stage. If Svechnikov was on the level of McDavid he would be the clear #1.

Everyone is so obsessed with ranking and draft position its insane. Buchnevich was drafted in the 3rd round and is certainly better than many others taken ahead. Russians are constantly underrated.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't say Russia is under scouted, its more teams there aren't very receptive or helpful with NA scouts. Even if teams sent more scouts, it is very unlikely they get the access that they do in Finland and Sweden. Understandable on why its done (to protect the KHL), but it will hurt players draft stocks. This applies more to lower key guys than obvious high end talents. It actually might limit the exodus to the CHL if KHL/MHL franchises were granting more access to NHL scouts.

Last edited:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Everyone is so obsessed with ranking and draft position its insane. Buchnevich was drafted in the 3rd round and is certainly better than many others taken ahead. Russians are constantly underrated.

I'm not "obsessed" with ranking, I was just using that as some evidence for why I feel it is ridiculous to expect anything McDavid-like from Svechnikov.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'm not "obsessed" with ranking, I was just using that as some evidence for why I feel it is ridiculous to expect anything McDavid-like from Svechnikov.

It's hard to expect McDavid like qualities from anyone but I wouldn't be surprised if Svechnikov slips to 10 and ends up the best player in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig