RW Andrei Svechnikov - Barrie Colts, OHL (2018 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I've heard it's not the best place in the world in June,

probably not if you're homeless....but then again anyplace in the world in any season is not a good place if you're homeless...

As someone who spends a lot of time in that particular area (Ft. Lauderdale) any chance I get and in any and all seasons, it's spectacular.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
U18 NT coach Prokhorov already stated that he would like to see him on the team already next season, so now it is up to Svechnikov to decide.

This would be great if he decides to do this, players on the team are not bound though I believe,so he can start the year in Russia and move to the CHL at some point or, move next year. :help:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If he is a complete idiot he follows his brother to become a mediocrity.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
If he is a complete idiot he follows his brother to become a mediocrity.

Yep, in his older brother he has a perfect example of what happens when a talented kid leaves Russia too early to play in Canadian juniors.

If he has not learned from his brother's mistake he deserves that his career gets ruined and he never reaches his vast potential.

But Russian hockey needs him because he has supreme talent. This is not just about Svechnikov, it is also about Russian hockey. They just need to keep him in Russia until he has at least drafted to the NHL so that he can help Russia win international hockey games for the next 20 years.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Wow! This kid just dominated the game yesterday, oozes high-end skills all over the ice. Easily the best player of yesterday's game. Scary to think about his upcoming show against Norway...

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Wow! This kid just dominated the game yesterday, oozes high-end skills all over the ice. Easily the best player of yesterday's game. Scary to think about his upcoming show against Norway...
Where have you watched the game?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yep, in his older brother he has a perfect example of what happens when a talented kid leaves Russia too early to play in Canadian juniors.

If he has not learned from his brother's mistake he deserves that his career gets ruined and he never reaches his vast potential.

But Russian hockey needs him because he has supreme talent. This is not just about Svechnikov, it is also about Russian hockey. They just need to keep him in Russia until he has at least drafted to the NHL so that he can help Russia win international hockey games for the next 20 years.

Andrei probably does not see his brother as being ruined though. He will evaluate things like a normal young 16 year old " wow big brother is scoring so many points and gets to play in front of thousands of people every game over in North America, so cool !! " I doubt he will think about development..

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Andrei probably does not see his brother as being ruined though. He will evaluate things like a normal young 16 year old " wow big brother is scoring so many points and gets to play in front of thousands of people every game over in North America, so cool !! " I doubt he will think about development..

You could be right and this is the reason why these kids keep leaving. They can't think ahead.

This is why I have written so much about creating barriers for them. Make leaving as difficult as possible for them and force them to sign long junior contracts in Russia at 14 if they want to continue playing competitive hockey in Russia.

Sometimes you have to be hard with these kids. They need more stick than carrot.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

I don't disagree with the notion that it is better for young Russian players to remain in Russia until they are fully developed (the evidence seems to overwhelmingly support this), but to write off a 19 year old kids career because he had one bad World Junior tournament is flat out ridiculous. I am from Cape Breton and have watched every home game of Evgeni's for the past two years. He is consistently one of the most dominant players on the ice night in and night out. What if he suddenly tears apart the AHL next year and then becomes a very solid player for the Red Wings? Was his career choice still a mistake? Obviously we cannot answer these questions; it is pure speculation. Which is why it is nonsensical to say that he will never reach his potential at this point.

Last edited:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Tarasenko, Kovalchuk, Kuznetsov, Semin, Mozyakin, etc all stayed in Russia and they still haven't been able to get it done on the biggest international stage. This argument has zero merit.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yeah, look at what a great grinder his brother Yevgeniy has become. He may very well be an NHL 3rd liner some day. Andrei is more talented, so he will dump the puck and crash the net even better!
His brother is playing even better in the Q since the WJC. Just because a Russian player adopts a North American style, it doesn't mean he's a bad player. It might just mean that he's a bad fit for the type of hockey Team Russia wants to play.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
As far as I know there is no actual evidence that Andrei is leaving Russia for next season. He will probably play for the U18 team in the MHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad