RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I guarantee he will have a bigger first NHL season impact than Dahlin.

Career wise, it’s an open question.
I think you're right. Playing two way Defense in the NHL is really hard. I'm assuming that that is what Dahlin is supposed to be, not just an Offensemen.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think you're right. Playing two way Defense in the NHL is really hard. I'm assuming that that is what Dahlin is supposed to be, not just an Offensemen.

still depends on where they go as well

if dahlin goes somewhere like Ottawa (w karlsson) or montreal (weber) it’ll be easier on him than having to immediately be the best on his team and most relied on dman. even in vancouver edler and tanev are good minute eaters.

Sputniker

Jan 5, 2016
Svechnikov is going to the U18's in Russia. Fully expecting him to dominate and win the scoring title.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I still think for all the skill he lacks polish. His ratio of bad plays to good plays is too high for my liking. That's going to hurt his effectiveness significantly at higher levels until he figures it out.

Sputniker

Jan 5, 2016
I still think for all the skill he lacks polish. His ratio of bad plays to good plays is too high for my liking. That's going to hurt his effectiveness significantly at higher levels until he figures it out.

I think this is quite common with prospects, even with the top ones. Keeping the puck a bit too long or passing it too early, skating out of the play or positioning wrongly, we have seen those during the years.

Svechnikov is producing offence at an elite level, and despite of those bad plays, he is still finishing plays at an elite level. Of course, some polishing is necessary, but I don't think that'll be a problem with him.

Reactions: bert

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
lmao what

What does Svechnikov wanting to play in the u18s have to do with him leaving the nhl
Opinions like that one are one more reason why Russians should never play in the CHL. Of you are Russian every single thing about you is being interpreted against you in Canada to the level of insanity. Can you imagine a canadian player being ostrasized for wanting to go to the U18 WC?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
looks like he's injured. it it's true i hope he won't play injured in the tourney.
Why do you beleve he is inured? Because the elves say so? LMAO

Don't believe a single word by the Colts. He played every game in the playoffs. He should be with the national team. Period.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Andrei Svechnikov is the 2nd best player in this draft, I would expect him to be right up there for the scoring title if he is indeed allowed to play. I can’t say for certain if he’s injured or not, just because you played in every playoff game doesn’t mean you’re not hurt but why does Barrie even care? They’ve been eliminated, Svechnikov isn’t coming back next season, why would you try to stop a kid from playing? Even if he was injured and you expected him back, it’s hard to turn him down. I can see suggesting he doesn’t but at the end of the day it’s his choice. However, sometimes a player needs to be protected from himself, maybe this is one of those situations.... I will be monitoring closely.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Andrei Svechnikov is the 2nd best player in this draft, I would expect him to be right up there for the scoring title if he is indeed allowed to play. I can’t say for certain if he’s injured or not, just because you played in every playoff game doesn’t mean you’re not hurt but why does Barrie even care? They’ve been eliminated, Svechnikov isn’t coming back next season, why would you try to stop a kid from playing? Even if he was injured and you expected him back, it’s hard to turn him down. I can see suggesting he doesn’t but at the end of the day it’s his choice. However, sometimes a player needs to be protected from himself, maybe this is one of those situations.... I will be monitoring closely.
Only Canadians have no say in it as an interested party. Let the russian NT doctors decide if Svechnikov needs any protection.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think this is quite common with prospects, even with the top ones. Keeping the puck a bit too long or passing it too early, skating out of the play or positioning wrongly, we have seen those during the years.

Svechnikov is producing offence at an elite level, and despite of those bad plays, he is still finishing plays at an elite level. Of course, some polishing is necessary, but I don't think that'll be a problem with him.

I have watched him live twice recently, his talent level is undeniable, incredibly elite and plays with an edge. All 17 year olds make bad decisions, they are 17 not enough experience yet. If you're looking for this type of trait in a raw offensive player you are looking at the wrong things when evaluating the prospect. This isnt just a hockey thing go look at the current most dominant athlete on the planet Lebron James tape from high school lots of terrible shots and bad decisions.

A few things really stood out for me. His puck control ability is off the charts, he can not only seem to handle any pass that is sent to him he can take a bad pass and turn it into and advantageous situation. In game 6 against Kingston he got a rocket pass in the neutral zone in his feet, the Kingston forward made a great play to read it and step up to what could have been an enormous body check. Svechnikov adjusted his lane and stride to take the pass off the inside of his outside foot. All in one motion he made the forchecker miss him and flawlessly kick the puck to his stick then make another move around the d man. You simply cant teach this type of skill. 99% of players would have just missed the pass or gotten hammerd by the forward in the neutral zone.

In a really tight game he was competing for every inch of ice and made some tremendous plays. I was very impressed with his intensity in this game. He also never seemed to get tired.

As for player comparisons I see Jamie Benn as the player I relate his style to most.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I see Austin Matthews.

Same type of skating ability,shot, hands, beast in the corners. Great forechecker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad