RW Alexander Nylander (2016, 8th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Do we know what line he was on for the morning skate?

edit Marcus Foligno Evan Rodrigues Alex Nylander

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
I've admittedly only watched him once (St.Johns vs Rochester) but you can tell he has the skill, at the very least. Broke into the zone a lot but this was during his cold streak so he didn't put up points

The best (opposition) forwards I've seen in St Johns have been he, Vrana, Kapanen

Anyone that watched the WJC should know how good he is. He tied Kaprizov for the lead in both PPG and points while, as far as I know, being young enough to play at the next WJC.

He certainly has top line potential regardless of how "badly" he has done in the AHL this year. I think people's expectations have become a bit too high after seeing guys like William and Rantanen tear up the AHL immediately as teenagers.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Anyone that watched the WJC should know how good he is. He tied Kaprizov for the lead in both PPG and points while, as far as I know, being young enough to play at the next WJC.

He certainly has top line potential regardless of how "badly" he has done in the AHL this year. I think people's expectations have become a bit too high after seeing guys like William and Rantanen tear up the AHL immediately as teenagers.

Oh for sure. I (personally) think he was the best forward i've seen (didn't get to see W.Nylander etc. due to personal reasons) despite Vrana having something like 3 points and controlling the game, due to the fact the IceCaps not being able to keep a line together.

And I did watch the WJC, he did great against Canada but I was too busy watching Hischier and Canada in general and I don't really like falling for WJC hype (see: my thoughts on Jost)

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Bylsma is really putting the kid in a position to succeed... Oh well I'm sure the Bylsma shuffle will have him playing all over the lineup at times.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Any comment on his NHL debut from someone who watched the game?

He's still too tiny, but made a few nice turns on the boards to shake guys, coupled with a few nice passes. Could stickhandle without looking at the puck, which is surprising to see out of our bottom six. Got knocked around and knocked off the puck a few times, you could tell the game was still a bit too fast for him.

About what you'd expect. Not good, not bad.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The Nylander boys add muscle easily. Huge change in Alex's upper body in just months.

DFl9_cHV0AAVvzf.jpg

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Sabers fans don't have to worry. His dad is a former pro and his brother has done everything right so far. He has something a lot of prospects wish they had in a personal support group they trust and who has someone else a few steps ahead of them.

He's going to bulk up, and I expect a big year in the AHL for him next year assuming he goes back.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Judging by this picture, he's bulked up considerably over the last year

NHL-Draft-prospects-Bennett.jpg

Unfortunately it's all upper body strength. He should take a hint from Eichel

siegeofshanghai*

Alexander Nylanders potential

This guy seems underrated compared to his brother. Yes his AHL season was bad (but so was his team and coaching), but he showed great skill at the WJC, scoring at better pace then William.

Alex Nylander playing WJC at 17 year old
11p in 7 games.

William Nylander playing WJC at 17 years old.
Didnt make the team

Alex Nylander playing WJC at 18 years old:
12p in 7 games.

William Nylander playing WJC at 18 years old:
10 in 7 games.

Anyone think he can light up the AHL this season?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This guy seems underrated compared to his brother. Yes his AHL season was bad (but so was his team and coaching), but he showed great skill at the WJC, scoring at better pace then William.

11p in 7 games.

Didnt make the team

12p in 7 games.

10 in 7 games.

2 posts in. Decides to start a Nylander thread where he just outright ignores the largest sample size, in favor of the smaller one to compare him to his brother. This should go well........

The AHL is by far the biggest and most relevant sample size, and in no way should it be discounted in favor of the WJC.

He could light up the AHL, but he needs to get way stronger on the puck. He's not as good a skater as his brother, so the lack of ability to hold off defenders is more noticable at the pro-level. Well see if he successfully bulks up like Willy did between his D+1 and D+2.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
2 posts in. Decides to start a Nylander thread where he just outright ignores the largest sample size, in favor of the smaller one to compare him to his brother. This should go well........

The AHL is by far the biggest and most relevant sample size, and in no way should it be discounted in favor of the WJC.

He could light up the AHL, but he needs to get way stronger on the puck. He's not as good a skater as his brother, so the lack of ability to hold off defenders is more noticable at the pro-level. Well see if he successfully bulks up like Willy did between his D+1 and D+2.

looks like he's doing it
DFl9_cHV0AAVvzf.jpg

siegeofshanghai*

Alex Nylander just bulked up:

DFl9_cHV0AAVvzf.jpg

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
He's raw compared to his brother at the same age. William is a better skater, playmaker, line-driver, and plays a more mature game . Their shots are different (Alex's harder, Willy's more accurate), but will probably be comparable in effectiveness. Alex is maybe a bit more explosive but isn't a possession oriented player like his brother.

Their AHL performances are telling. William was much more "pro-ready". Of course on hfboards that seems to indicate to many that Alex just has more room to grow than his brother, but I tend to disagree with that train of thought. Still a nice prospect, just not quite the same calibre in my eyes. Regardless I expect a big step forward for both players next season. Alex could very well dominate the AHL.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

11p in 7 games.

Didnt make the team

12p in 7 games.

10 in 7 games.

His offseason workout plan is off to a great start. He has added some much needed muscle to his frame. He was an 18 year old playing in the AHL on a team with poor coaching and a roster not built to be competitive(for whatever reason).

It remains to be seen whether that will translate to success, but it should help him himself more confidence in the physical/grinding portion of the game. He has the talent to be successful, but a better structured team and coached team will go a long way whether or not he will light up the AHL.

Can he? yes, IMO. Will he? remains to be seen.

siegeofshanghai*

He's raw compared to his brother at the same age. William is a better skater, playmaker, line-driver, and plays a more mature game . Their shots are different (Alex's harder, Willy's more accurate), but will probably be comparable in effectiveness. Alex is maybe a bit more explosive but isn't a possession oriented player like his brother.

Their AHL performances are telling. William was much more "pro-ready". Of course on hfboards that seems to indicate to many that Alex just has more room to grow than his brother, but I tend to disagree with that train of thought. Still a nice prospect, just not quite the same calibre in my eyes. Regardless I expect a big step forward for both players next season. Alex could very well dominate the AHL.

Well alex came from junior to AHL.
William came from mens league to AHL. Easier to adapt for William.

I still think Alex is just as talented (remember they both went #8 in the draft)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I don't see Alex becoming as good as William, William was the MVP of the WHC. All I want from Alex is for him to become a 25+ goal winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad