Chip Alexander: Rutherford expected to give up GM duties at end of the season

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So we get a shiny new d-man and then start griping about a complete and total lack of offensive production. I think we're just trying ensuring we have something to complain about for years to come.

Well, until any of these moves results in more wins and playoff appearances, the complaints will be there.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Why change the formula for success we currently have?

You're right! It ain't broke, let's not fix it. So let's trade the entire team. My suggestion:

To CAR:
Belov
Eberle
Fasth
Ference
Fraser
Gagner
Gazdic
Gordon
Hall
Hendricks
Joensuu
Jones
Klefbom
Lander
Larsen
Marincin
RNH
Perron
Petry
Pitlick
Schultz
Scrivens
Smyth
Yakupov

To EDM:
Bellemore
Bowman
Dvorak
Dwyer
Faulk
Gerbe
Hainsey
Harrison
Khudobin
Komisarek
Liles
Lindholm
Loktionov
Malhotra
Murphy
Nash
Peters
Sekera
Semin
Skinner
E. Staal
J. Staal
Tlusty
Ward

How's THAT for a top-down gutting? :sarcasm:

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
You're right! It ain't broke, let's not fix it. So let's trade the entire team. My suggestion:

To CAR:
Belov
Eberle
Fasth
Ference
Fraser
Gagner
Gazdic
Gordon
Hall
Hendricks
Joensuu
Jones
Klefbom
Lander
Larsen
Marincin
RNH
Perron
Petry
Pitlick
Schultz
Scrivens
Smyth
Yakupov

To EDM:
Bellemore
Bowman
Dvorak
Dwyer
Faulk
Gerbe
Hainsey
Harrison
Khudobin
Komisarek
Liles
Lindholm
Loktionov
Malhotra
Murphy
Nash
Peters
Sekera
Semin
Skinner
E. Staal
J. Staal
Tlusty
Ward

How's THAT for a top-down gutting? :sarcasm:

I was okay with this deal until I got here. Why would we trade away the future?:help:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
So JR has done more with less, yet they **** all over him. That franchise is exactly what that fanbase deserves.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Chip tweeted about the news conference earlier this week:

@ice_chip
Expecting announcement early next week from Canes' Jim Rutherford on his plans. Ron Francis said to be in Finland this week.

I assume Francis is in Finland for the U18 Championships and not just on holiday.

Finally, some news! We better get in a few more LaRose discussions before we actually have something to talk about...

I'm hearing LaRose is expected to be named as the new President and GM of the team. #voiceinsidemyhead

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It seems like we can glean from that information that Rutherford is out of this draft decision. He would usually be making his last minute evaluations at such a big tournament. It seems that responsibility has fallen on Francis. Curious as to how that changes our approach. Francis likes brains over brawn. This could be a culture creation pick.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It seems like we can glean from that information that Rutherford is out of this draft decision. He would usually be making his last minute evaluations at such a big tournament. It seems that responsibility has fallen on Francis. Curious as to how that changes our approach. Francis likes brains over brawn. This could be a culture creation pick.

Interesting thought, because while in Finland, RF is watching William Nylander absolutely destroy the tournament. He's also probably hanging with William's dad, Michael, who is permanently infamous in NHL circles for his lack of desire to play the game. I'm not suggesting William will be the same, only that I think Francis will be happy if he's off the board by No. 7 so he won't be forced to put his reputation on the line pretty much from Day 1.

I think Ronnie will be looking for the closest thing to a sure thing as there is in the draft. I wouldn't rule out Fleury. Or Virtanen.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
It'd be crazy if Karmanos trolls everyone and doesn't hire Francis as GM.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
McPhee fired today.

New Canes GM next week.

Discuss!!!

I think it's some sort of weird competition for them.

I was living in DC at the time and the day we hired Muller, they decided about 4 hours later to announce "major organizational changes coming" (which amounted to shuffling deck-chairs in the FO-- someone lost a title, someone gained one, a new position was created and nothing really changed.) I'm fairly certain solely for the purpose of not being out-run for the headline of the NHL page of the sports section by a division rival.

The day we fired Paul Maurice for the last time, early in the morning...late that afternoon, they fired Bruce Boudreau just a few days after Caps owner Ted Leonsis had said "I can't see anybody but Bruce coaching this team."

What's that line from Goldfinger? "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times, it's enemy action." I can't think it's coincidental at this point.

You think it we put out unsubstantiated rumors we were promoting Muller to GM we could trick them into rehiring Oates as their GM? :sarcasm:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't mind Oates as an assistant, he might be able to do something with our PP.

Also from Dreger:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Further to @Real_ESPNLeBrun tweet last night, expect Jim Rutherford to move into a different role with Canes clearing way for Francis as GM.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
"We’re still trying to figure it out. There hasn’t been a clear indication of what we are this year, and it’s too late. You can’t all of a sudden create an identity with four games left,” defenseman Karl Alzner said this past week.

“We don’t know what we’re going to get. Some nights we play a game, we finish and we’re like, ‘Holy smokes, we look like a good team,’ and then some nights we’re like, ‘Wow we should just pack it in now.’ . . . That’s what’s been so tough with us, the uncertainty. It’s our fault: the players’ fault, the staff’s fault. We’ve got to be better off being there every single night.”

Well that sounds familiar.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Don't know if this belongs here but Elliotte Friedman had this in his 30 Thoughts column today

6. Don't know exactly what the role is going to be, but hearing Plymouth Whalers GM/head coach Mike Vellucci will join Carolina's revamped front office.

Full Link to Column

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
A lot of what I've heard makes it sounds like Assistant GM with the possibility of being bumped to the HC spot if Muller struggles to start the season next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad