Chip Alexander: Rutherford expected to give up GM duties at end of the season

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't know much about Ron's current role, I don't know how prepared he is for this, or if he'll be any good. That being said, he was a smart player and should be a smart GM. I trust him to see team needs and strengths from a hockey perspective better than JR, though it's possible the business side will take some adjustment.

The change needed to happen. That being said, nothing but thanks to JR for bringing us a Cup in 2006. Definitely the end of a lengthy era.

Ronnie Franchise is now running the franchise.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Jr booting himself upstairs and Francis taking over. Hardly shocking on the Francis front - I hope he's ready. I can't believe it's actually happening despite the signs all being there already.

End of a LONG era.

If this is just Jr pulling Francis and his strings ala Lacroix and Sherman in CO for a few years than it'll be even more frustrating.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
JR did well to acquire key pieces to help the Canes win the cup and that was a great job by him.

A change is definitely needed now though. I hope Ronnie excels.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Jr booting himself upstairs and Francis taking over. Hardly shocking on the Francis front - I hope he's ready. I can't believe it's actually happening despite the signs all being there already.

End of a LONG era.

If this is just Jr pulling Francis and his strings ala Lacroix and Sherman in CO for a few years than it'll be even more frustrating.

While I guess it's not impossible I don't get the impression that Ron Francis is the type to have his strings pulled.

The writing has been on the wall since the draft when Francis got "his guy". This was always going to be his job when he was deemed ready.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
JR has done a pretty good job over the years IMO, but his vision of the team hasn't worked well the last few years. I think it's time. Francis has been in the Assistant job for a few years now, and I doubt JR would be stepping aside if he wasn't ready.

It's going to be a bold new era with Ronnie running the Franchise. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Cory Lavalette ‏@corylav 3m
RT @Hope_Smoke: Doug MacLean "I was told a couple of weeks ago that Ron Francis will take over as GM in Carolina"

Cory Lavalette ‏@corylav 1m
MT @Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "Hurricanes are going to make everyone available at the draft. The Staals, Skinner, Ward anyone for the right price"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Cory Lavalette ‏@corylav 1m
MT @Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "Hurricanes are going to make everyone available at the draft. The Staals, Skinner, Ward anyone for the right price"

Meh....for the right price anyone is available all the time IMO. The definition of "right price" is what changes over time.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
A few years overdue.

Rutherford did a great job of putting solid pieces together for the 2006 Championship and 02 and 09 runs. Hopefully that will be his legacy.

I look forward to Francis or whomever taking over GM duties and hopefully bringing in a fresh perspective and vision.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Like I said in the main board thread, this will be a long few months for canes fans around here.

Everyone is available for everyone else's cast offs and stacks of poo made to look as tall as a staal bro.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Like I said in the main board thread, this will be a long few months for canes fans around here.

Everyone is available for everyone else's cast offs and stacks of poo made to look as tall as a staal bro.

Agreed. It might be best to avoid the trade board, because this is going to get ugly.

Dec 30, 2013
Meh....for the right price anyone is available all the time IMO. The definition of "right price" is what changes over time.

True enough. Though making it known that they are all available is a different thing. Whether any key pieces are dealt or not, at least it shows that they are willing to change

Ronnie's first move: Fires Muller, hires Brind'Amour as head coach. :sarcasm:

That means we'll win even more faceoffs, right? ;)

Francis was a smart player, he should understand the modern game better than Rutherford. Whether he will be better at drafting I don't know(though he can't be much worse), but I think he will do well with trading. Though, recent Rutherford trades have been positives as well

Last edited:

Kram170

Nov 14, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Though I respect JR for turning this town into somewhat of a hockey market, I hope his recent spending has not put this organization into a corner. Hopefully whoever steps in can give this org some success.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
True enough. Though making it known that they are all available is a different thing. Whether any key pieces are dealt or not, at least it shows that they are willing to change

Maybe, but this is like the 3rd time the media has speculated that E. Staal and Ward are available (and HF had a feeding frenzy), so right now it's nothing but a lot of speculation. McKenzie usually has an in with Rutherford, and even his comments were vague and speculative.

When a team under-achieves and there is a new GM, there will always be rumors that change in personnel is under foot. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'll be very surprised if Eric or Jordan is traded. I won't be surprised (but will be disappointed) if Skinner is traded.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This is monumental news. Could mean a complete overhaul of this team.

Why do you assume that? Francis has been there with JR this whole time and many of the contracts already limit moves. I'd be shocked if there was a complete overhaul.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
As a guy who was the captain and franchise C who was traded away which led to the downfall and ultimate relocation of the franchise, I find it highly unlikely Francis trades Eric.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I still say the bigger problem is the failures in this organization developmentally. Getting basically nothing from 05 and 09, and extremely limited output from 06 and 08 has put us in a pretty horrific position from a sheer depth standpoint. Getting even a couple passable 3rd liners out of those drafts would have changed the dynamic of the team greatly.

As much as I'm relieved to be heading in a different direction from a management standpoint, until the culture of this team changes from top to bottom I'll be unimpressed. The changes in the AHL need to be our next step.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00