Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
This is a great post -- and not just because it's so encouraging. Thanks for taking the time to find and collate this data, and then nuance it via comparisons to peers.

I also really like that his scoring does not seem to have been at the expense of his versatility and all-around play. The program does seem to emphasize playing many roles up and down a lineup, and this flexibility should help prepare him to play across the Jets lineup once he gets there. We absolutely need a player like Roars and I'm really looking forward to watching him develop at Michigan. I'm guessing he follows a Connor path and hopefully is a Jet within 2-3 years.

The idea of him playing as a scoring possession and retrieval player on a Perfetti-led line is giving me tingles...
And by all accounts, he shows up when the stage is big. While he may not be the highest scoring player from this draft years from now, he may very well prove to be one of the best overall players. The type of player that teams WIN with.

I've seen him listed as C quite a bit online. But scrolling through some of the line up cards later in the year was playing wing next to Stramel

Consensus is he's a wing?
From what I’ve read, he is a natural centre, but is versatile enough to play either wing as well.

Reactions: ERYX and kellhunter

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And by all accounts, he shows up when the stage is big. While he may not be the highest scoring player from this draft years from now, he may very well prove to be one of the best overall players. The type of player that teams WIN with.

From what I’ve read, he is a natural centre, but is versatile enough to play either wing as well.
USNTDP usually rotates players through positions. Just seems like atleast form the sample of game I saw is he was wing next to Stramel.

Jw if there was a consensus of him being a C, or a wing in the nhl

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
USNTDP usually rotates players through positions. Just seems like atleast form the sample of game I saw is he was wing next to Stramel.

Jw if there was a consensus of him being a C, it a wing in the nhl

From interviews over the past year he deems himself a winger. The thing that is likely going to be the deciding factor is if he can improve on his skating. Right now it's not terrible but I don't think it's at the level you want from a top 6 C.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
From interviews over the past year he deems himself a winger. The thing that is likely going to be the deciding factor is if he can improve on his skating. Right now it's not terrible but I don't think it's at the level you want from a top 6 C.
is his nickname bambi?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think Rutger McGroarty's skill is VASTLY understated in this thread. Yes, he plays a *heavy* game, but he's demonstrated from a very young age that he's always been amongst the BEST 2004 born kids in the world. This is no fluke or one year wonder.

In 2013, when he was 10 years old, he played at the famous Brick Invitational Hockey Tournament in Edmonton. He lead the tournament with 9 goals in six games. Is that good? Well, other high draft picks played in the same tournament:

McGroarty - 9 goals
Savoie - 3 goals
Goyette - 3 goals
Shane Wright - 2 goals
Isaac Howard - 2 goals
Hutson - 2 goals
Korchinski - 2 goals
Cutter Gauthier - 1 goal
Owen Pickering - 1 goal
Mateychuk - 0 goals
Geekie - 0 goals

Again, he was regarded as the best 2004 born player in the US. In 2017 as a 13 year old, he played in the toughest AAA circuit (Michigan / Honeybaked). These were his results vs other top propects that same season:

Rutger McGroarty - 17GP - 40G, 7A - 47npts
Lane Hutson - 15 GP - 12G, 9A - 21 pts
Cutter Gauthier - 17GP - 6G - 11A - 17 pts
Seamus Casey - 16GP - 7G - 8A - 15 pts
Frank Nazar - 17GP - 4G - 7A - 11 pts

That Spring, (now 14 years old) he played in (and led in scoring) the Draft Day Selects Elite Tournament:

McGroarty - 17pts
Ostlund - 11 pts
Gauthier - 10 pts
Slafkovsky - 7 pts
Hutson - 7 pts
Mateychuk - 5 pts

The following fall AAA season (14 years old, turning 15 in the new year):

Cole Spicer - 51G - 118A - 169 pts
Rutger McGroarty - 82G - 78A - 160 pts
David Goyette - 49G - 104A - 153 pts
Frank Nazar - 49G - 78A - 127 pts

**HE LED THE LEAGUE IN GOALS BY 31 - THAT'S NUTS **

When the winter season was over, he once again played in the Elite Draft Day Spring tournament against his peers from around the world. Just like The Brick Tournament and Elite Draft Day Selects, he ONCE AGAIN led the entire tournament in scoring:

McGroarty - 19 pts
Hutson - 16 pts
Casey - 15 pts
Howard - 13 pts
Dumais - 10 pts
Snuggerud - 9 pts
Goyette - 8 pts
Cooley - 7 pts
Gauthier - 7 pts
Ostlund - 6 pts
Nazar - 5 pts
Owen Beck - 4 pts
Spicer - 4 pts
Minten - 3 pts

Fast forward to his draft year, and McGroarty leads the USNDTP in goals (35G) which is more than Cooley / Nazar / Howard + is 3rd in pts per games/played (nearly identical to Nazar and just slightly below Cooley / Howard).

His last major international tournament prior to draft was the U18s where he was 2nd in goals:

Jiri Kulich: 9G
McGroarty: 8G
Howard: 6G
Kemell: 6G
Bedard: 6G
Lekkerimaki: 5G
Ostlund: 4G
Cooley: 3G
Ohgren: 3G
Nazar: 3G
Gauthier: 3G

If it's not evident already, Rutger McGroarty has been amongst the tops for 2004 born kids for a LONG time. He didn't have a *fluke* season. This isn't Andrew Copp or Adam Lowry. He's been a top 3 scorer in virtually every league and tournament he's played in. Don't let the *power forward* moniker confuse you. He's a HIGH skill player that just happens to also be physical. A bit of a unicorn. Had he played CHL hockey this year, I have no doubt he would have produced a nearly the same rate as Shane Wright and / or Matt Savoie. He's been putting up insane numbers his entire life.
Wow, thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Very encouraging!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've seen him listed as C quite a bit online. But scrolling through some of the line up cards later in the year was playing wing next to Stramel

Consensus is he's a wing?
Natural center. USNTDP had like 10 centers on his team. He never got the chance to play center, but he's a natural center. I'd try him out at center. I think he'll stick there. If not, you can always move him back to wing.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Natural center. USNTDP had like 10 centers on his team. He never got the chance to play center, but he's a natural center. I'd try him out at center. I think he'll stick there. If not, you can always move him back to wing.
Hopefully he gets some reps at centre with University of Michigan, but not sure what their depth chart looks like or if they prefer starting freshmen on the wing.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Is he a higher end Andrew Copp?
Better hands?

I'll quote ya this post. Much better track record of offense than Copp.

I think Rutger McGroarty's skill is VASTLY understated in this thread. Yes, he plays a *heavy* game, but he's demonstrated from a very young age that he's always been amongst the BEST 2004 born kids in the world. This is no fluke or one year wonder.

In 2013, when he was 10 years old, he played at the famous Brick Invitational Hockey Tournament in Edmonton. He lead the tournament with 9 goals in six games. Is that good? Well, other high draft picks played in the same tournament:

McGroarty - 9 goals
Savoie - 3 goals
Goyette - 3 goals
Shane Wright - 2 goals
Isaac Howard - 2 goals
Hutson - 2 goals
Korchinski - 2 goals
Cutter Gauthier - 1 goal
Owen Pickering - 1 goal
Mateychuk - 0 goals
Geekie - 0 goals

Again, he was regarded as the best 2004 born player in the US. In 2017 as a 13 year old, he played in the toughest AAA circuit (Michigan / Honeybaked). These were his results vs other top propects that same season:

Rutger McGroarty - 17GP - 40G, 7A - 47npts
Lane Hutson - 15 GP - 12G, 9A - 21 pts
Cutter Gauthier - 17GP - 6G - 11A - 17 pts
Seamus Casey - 16GP - 7G - 8A - 15 pts
Frank Nazar - 17GP - 4G - 7A - 11 pts

That Spring, (now 14 years old) he played in (and led in scoring) the Draft Day Selects Elite Tournament:

McGroarty - 17pts
Ostlund - 11 pts
Gauthier - 10 pts
Slafkovsky - 7 pts
Hutson - 7 pts
Mateychuk - 5 pts

The following fall AAA season (14 years old, turning 15 in the new year):

Cole Spicer - 51G - 118A - 169 pts
Rutger McGroarty - 82G - 78A - 160 pts
David Goyette - 49G - 104A - 153 pts
Frank Nazar - 49G - 78A - 127 pts

**HE LED THE LEAGUE IN GOALS BY 31 - THAT'S NUTS **

When the winter season was over, he once again played in the Elite Draft Day Spring tournament against his peers from around the world. Just like The Brick Tournament and Elite Draft Day Selects, he ONCE AGAIN led the entire tournament in scoring:

McGroarty - 19 pts
Hutson - 16 pts
Casey - 15 pts
Howard - 13 pts
Dumais - 10 pts
Snuggerud - 9 pts
Goyette - 8 pts
Cooley - 7 pts
Gauthier - 7 pts
Ostlund - 6 pts
Nazar - 5 pts
Owen Beck - 4 pts
Spicer - 4 pts
Minten - 3 pts

Fast forward to his draft year, and McGroarty leads the USNDTP in goals (35G) which is more than Cooley / Nazar / Howard + is 3rd in pts per games/played (nearly identical to Nazar and just slightly below Cooley / Howard).

His last major international tournament prior to draft was the U18s where he was 2nd in goals:

Jiri Kulich: 9G
McGroarty: 8G
Howard: 6G
Kemell: 6G
Bedard: 6G
Lekkerimaki: 5G
Ostlund: 4G
Cooley: 3G
Ohgren: 3G
Nazar: 3G
Gauthier: 3G

If it's not evident already, Rutger McGroarty has been amongst the tops for 2004 born kids for a LONG time. He didn't have a *fluke* season. This isn't Andrew Copp or Adam Lowry. He's been a top 3 scorer in virtually every league and tournament he's played in. Don't let the *power forward* moniker confuse you. He's a HIGH skill player that just happens to also be physical. A bit of a unicorn. Had he played CHL hockey this year, I have no doubt he would have produced a nearly the same rate as Shane Wright and / or Matt Savoie. He's been putting up insane numbers his entire life.

Reactions: PhilJets

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'll quote ya this post. Much better track record of offense than Copp.

ValuableFakeBongo-max-1mb.gif

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Snuggerud played almost entirely on Cooley's wing. Gauthier played a lot on the other wing, but also had some time on other lines. McGroarty was part of mix and match lines for a lot of the season on the second and third lines behind Cooley's lines, if you can even call lines with a bunch of first round picks second and third lines. There weren't that many consistent lines, except for that top line and then the players who were at the bottom of the lineup also had some consistency in those roles. He's certainly no product offensively of any player in that lineup. If anything, you could say he had less offensive help than most of those other forwards on that team.
This probably played a role with the Jets looking like they reached a little bit with this pick.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
This thread in one of the bright spots on the Jets' board. Wholesome, optimistic and encouraging. I didn't know about him before the draft (too busy with other things), but he seems like an excellent character, great player with skill and potential, and actually wants to be here. I hope he reaches his potential and becomes the future face of the franchise. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

None

Feb 22, 2012

Yeah, that camp roster was announced last month. Lucius was invited and was on that roster up until yesterday.

Forwards changes since announced
-Lucius
+Leonard
+Thompson
+Tuch

Defense changes
-Morrow
+Truscott

Goalies
+Fowler
+Keopple

It sounds like the most recent mid 1st round draft picks like McGroarty and Snuggerud are probably fighting for 1-3 spots.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wonder why Lucius is no longer invited. Still dealing with his injury?

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Would likely be a massive mistake by the USA team if he doesn't make it, especially considering some of the names who have pulled out, IMO. These are massive opportunities for players of his age to get into pressure packed moments and represent your country. Great experience.

Granted, I might be a bit bias, as I'm actually heading to check out some of the medal round games in Edmonton in August. Visiting some family calls for some good old summer hockey.

Will be obviously supporting Canada, but looking forward to hopefully seeing McGroarty live if he makes the US squad.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Would likely be a massive mistake by the USA team if he doesn't make it, especially considering some of the names who have pulled out, IMO. These are massive opportunities for players of his age to get into pressure packed moments and represent your country. Great experience.

Granted, I might be a bit bias, as I'm actually heading to check out some of the medal round games in Edmonton in August. Visiting some family calls for some good old summer hockey.

Will be obviously supporting Canada, but looking forward to hopefully seeing McGroarty live if he makes the US squad.
Be nice to watch Lambert as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad